Q regarding terminology

Forum member Elliot Bayev and I are writing a "Glossary of the Guard article", hopefully for publication in Grappling or Black Belt magazine.  I've run into a problem with terminology, and I'm hoping  for a bit of help from you guys.

What do you consider the "Koala guard" to be?  I have heard it used to describe a) the half guard position where your opponent is standing and you are sitting up, hugging his leg (what I personally call sitting guard), b) a closed guard position where your opponent is standing up and you are hugging around his body with your arms while still keeping your legs crossed behind his back, and c) I used to use it to describe what is generally called the "deep half guard"

So what is the term "koala guard" used at your school for?  a, b, c, or another position.

Ah  the  joys of BJJ terminology.....

b) a closed guard position where your opponent is standing up and you are hugging around his body with your arms while still keeping your legs crossed behind his back

We call it the Koala Bear when a guy jumps to guard and doesnt bring his opponent down and the standing guy walks around waiting for his "Bear" to tire out.

Never heard of the "Koala guard" before, myself.

Adam

Just for info. It's just called a Koala. Not a Koala Bear.

I would say "B".

I call the guard where you sit and hug the leg of the standing opponent for "single leg guard". Definitely not sitting guard since that's the name often used for the position when you sit up at a little distance from the opponent while possible have a diagonal grip to his collar. Calling the first mention guard in my post for "sitting guard" would be confusing to me. I don't mind people make up a lot of funny names, but when people start using the same name for different position we will start having some real communication problems.

Some kind of organised bjj dictionary would be teh awesome.

I don't use the term and probably never will.

Also I have quite limited my "guard" terminology quite to closed guard, open guard and half guard.

All else is just different dynamic grips and positions.

"Also I have quite limited my "guard" terminology quite to closed guard, open guard and half guard. "

I have as well, actually.

"Also I have quite limited my "guard" terminology quite to closed guard, open guard and half guard. "

There is a certain amount of truth to this approach, but what we are trying to create is a reference for people so that they can follow the sometimes arcane discussions, online and offline, about guardwork.  For example, when I started BJJ I remember being quite confused trying to figure out the difference between spider guard and butterfly guard.  I imagine that the same is still true for people starting BJJ nowadays....

I'm still confused Stephen. I'm just working on my 1/8th guard.

-s-

P.S. I've never heard of the Koala guard.

It's a pretty rare term. I don't think it makes sense to apply to any of those situations except (a), which is more commonly called the single leg guard (sitting up guard is already commonly used for butterfly guard).

I actually think it would be pretty useful as a description for (a), since it's accurate. But then again, so is single-leg guard.

(b) is not really a "guard" at all in my view. A guard has to be a position where you can sit there and play various moves. (b) is just something that occasionally happens while playing closed guard.

(c) everybody already calls the deep half guard, and it doesn't really look koala-like, so there's not any good reason to call it that.

Most often, however, I have heard "koala guard" used by newbies as an incorrect name for butterfly guard.

Hi,

make sure you add these:

Gandalf Guard: You shall not pass

Monty Python Black Knight Guard: None shall pass.

Mighty brings up a good point. I wouldnt call the position a form of "guard", but rather a "position"...like Koala bear position. And even then, Id do it with a little laugh so people knew that I knew it sounded silly.

A is what we call the Koala guard

And the technique where you screw up and let the guy pass your guard straight into mount is called 'porteiro'.

I agree with Shen, Koala guard needs you to be at least slightly active, otherwise it's sloth guard. The exact hand grip will tell you whether it's a 3-toed sloth guard or the less common 2-toed sloth guard.

For example, when I started BJJ I remember being quite confused trying to figure out the difference between spider guard and butterfly guard.  I imagine that the same is still true for people starting BJJ nowadays....

What's so confusing?  Spiders crawl and butterfly's fly.  How do you get them confused? 

"Gandalf Guard: You shall not pass

Monty Python Black Knight Guard: None shall pass."

Someone should make a video about THESE guards!!!

I would like to master them BOTH!

We rather describe the open guard positions via the grip placements. Would also help the online discussions and immediately get rid of the terminology issues. Everyone knows what "he is standing, you have one foot on the hip, other on the biceps, grab the collar and the sleeve" means.