Qs for OG gun EXPERTS

Despite being one of the foremost authorities on the planet when it comes to animal death fights, I fully acknowledge my ineptitude when it comes to firearms. 

I deeply regret not taking advantage and learning from the several relatives I had who had decades of experience.

3 main questions vex me at the moment.

-For home defense, which is truly KING: shotgun or handgun???(and which specific one)

-How do you weigh out stopping power against risk of going through multiple walls and gorking neighbor next house over?

-What ammo types are most appropriate for home defense vs target practice?

Thank you, sincerely.

1 Like

You are going to find proponents of both shotgun and handgun for home defense. I like a handgun better, i just feel like I can manuever better and that there is less chance for collateral damage. I use a Glock 21 with Hornady Critical Defense rounds (there are tons of good ammo options). For the range I use whatever is on sale.

I’ve heard of several people with first hand experience racking a shotgun and every one of the attackers or criminals backed off or gave up fast.  A couple guys ended a standoff where the perp was looking at major time but when he was looking down the barrel of the shotgun the will to live was to great.

I am not a fan of shotguns for home defense. That's some Fudd thinking. The damage to your home and ear drums alone is a reason not to use one.

Best for home defense are pistols or pistol caliber carbines with hollow point rounds like Hornady critical defense rounds. 

4 Likes

Also remember that with 1 shot of 00 you are getting roughly 9 .45 projectiles going down at once

Shotgun w/full choke is hard to beat but I'm still going glock + AR

Handgun next tot he bed, shotgun in the closet. I have a Ruger SR9 17 shot 9mm that was $350 and a Mossberg Maverick 88 12 gauge that was under $200. Both weapons are reliable and cheap.

Shotgun is harder to get to and wield, but you have the option of buckshot, which will not be likely to go through your walls and kill your kids if you have to shoot it indoors. Handgun will give you a lot more rounds to fire quickly.

SergesBeefyHopeFlaps -

I am not a fan of shotguns for home defense. That's some Fudd thinking. The damage to your home and ear drums alone is a reason not to use one.

Best for home defense are pistols or pistol caliber carbines with hollow point rounds like Hornady critical defense rounds. 

In a life or death situation worrying about your home is absolutely ridiculous in my humble opinion.

Especially when a shotgun is much more effective when it hits something. 

I do understand worrying about your hearing. But a shotgun isn't going to make you permanently deaf. I know someone who had a 12 guage go off in a small room.

He hears just fine.

1 Like

Supressed 300 BLK AR platform.  Visible laser with a good light are hard to beat.  Also having 28 rounds with another mag in your pocket is hard to beat.

I honestly think ranking will scare off 90%+ off all home invaders.  Unless it is personal or the guy is totally methed out or insane the person will leave with haste.  

Principal Andy -
HELWIG -

Despite being one of the foremost authorities on the planet when it comes to animal death fights, I fully acknowledge my ineptitude when it comes to firearms. 

I deeply regret not taking advantage and learning from the several relatives I had who had decades of experience.

-For home defense, which is truly KING: shotgun or handgun???(and which specific one)

-How do you weigh out stopping power against risk of going through multiple walls and gorking neighbor next house over?

Thank you, sincerely.

Unfortunately you will never get a consistent answer on your questions. A lot of gun owners regurgitate old lore about “stopping power”, which is just simply false. I will give you my opinion, but as I mentioned, everyone will have a different take.

-I believe the handgun is king because it can be kept in a nightstand, holster, very portable, hold lots of rounds, and be held with one hand. There is no “one”, but you would want a quality brand, using quality ammo, that you have time to train with.

-Stopping power is a myth between the main home defense calipers. What stops someone is vital shot placement. Use what you can be accurate with. This is why I feel 9mm is sufficient. Over penetration is a real thing. Buying the correct ammo and using proper safety measures will help mitigate this risk.

-Lots of types of ammo. Generally speaking, hollow point for home defense and full metal jacket for target. There are other variables, but those are the general categories.

Hope this helps.

Stopping power is not a myth.

A shotgun absolutely will stop something better than a handgun. A more powerful handgun will do the same over a smaller or slower one.

The smaller and slower the bullet, the less chance it has to break through bone and tissue. Especially as the JHP opens up. 

Weaker calibers are more likely to be deflected by bone at off angles. 

Source - Me, a lifelong hunter.

Also, if stopping power was a myth we would all be using 22's due to lack of recoil and capacity. 

There are studies showing the more powerful handgun calibers result in more fatalities than the smaller ones.

That being said, 9mm is fine especially for a beginner.  

"-For home defense, which is truly KING: shotgun or handgun???(and which specific one)"

Shotgun. One load of 12 gauge buckshot is the equivalent to nine shots with a .38.

"How do you weigh out stopping power against risk of going through multiple walls and gorking neighbor next house over?"

For hollow point handgun ammo & shotgun ammo, overpenetration risk is minimal. You really only risk overpenetration with rile ammo, or FMJ pistol ammo.

"What ammo types are most appropriate for home defense vs target practice?"

For handguns, modern hollow point ammo for self defense, FMJ for practice. For shotguns, buckshot for self defense, birdshot for practice.

HELWIG - 

Thank you, sincerely.

A shotgun is going to have more power than a handgun, but much greater recoil and typically a lower capacity, as well as much slower reloads. Both have the capacity to over-penetrate.

1 Like

Tim Duncan - 

I’ve heard of several people with first hand experience racking a shotgun and every one of the attackers or criminals backed off or gave up fast.  A couple guys ended a standoff where the perp was looking at major time but when he was looking down the barrel of the shotgun the will to live was to great.

"I’ve heard of several people with first hand experience racking a shotgun and every one of the attackers or criminals backed off or gave up fast"

That's an anecdote, which is a fancy way of saying urban myth. Do not rely on "all you have to do is rack the slide and they'll run away" to keep you and your loved ones safe.

Have a gun, keep it loaded, be prepared to use it in an emergency.

Tim Duncan - 

Also remember that with 1 shot of 00 you are getting roughly 9 .45 projectiles going down at once

Ballisticly closer to .38, but yes.

Really appreciate the answers.

Im not a variety guy so Im really gonna force myself to get very competent with only one of each type.

TexDeuce -
Principal Andy -
HELWIG -

Thank you, sincerely.

Unfortunately you will never get a consistent answer on your questions. A lot of gun owners regurgitate old lore about “stopping power”, which is just simply false. I will give you my opinion, but as I mentioned, everyone will have a different take.

-I believe the handgun is king because it can be kept in a nightstand, holster, very portable, hold lots of rounds, and be held with one hand. There is no “one”, but you would want a quality brand, using quality ammo, that you have time to train with.

-Stopping power is a myth between the main home defense calipers. What stops someone is vital shot placement. Use what you can be accurate with. This is why I feel 9mm is sufficient. Over penetration is a real thing. Buying the correct ammo and using proper safety measures will help mitigate this risk.

-Lots of types of ammo. Generally speaking, hollow point for home defense and full metal jacket for target. There are other variables, but those are the general categories.

Hope this helps.

Stopping power is not a myth.

A shotgun absolutely will stop something better than a handgun. A more powerful handgun will do the same over a smaller or slower one.

The smaller and slower the bullet, the less chance it has to break through bone and tissue. Especially as the JHP opens up. 

Weaker calibers are more likely to be deflected by bone at off angles. 

Source - Me, a lifelong hunter.

Also, if stopping power was a myth we would all be using 22's due to lack of recoil and capacity. 

There are studies showing the more powerful handgun calibers result in more fatalities than the smaller ones.

That being said, 9mm is fine especially for a beginner.  

Decades of FBI testing and real world results disgree with this. 

Its very well established that basically all service caliber handgun rounds perform extremely similar and they do the same thing in regards to wounding mechanism. 

phydeau -
Tim Duncan - 

Ballisticly closer to .38, but yes.

00 is 32 caliber, #1 is 30. Both moving at around 1300-1400 fps.

walkinassassin - 

Shotgun w/full choke is hard to beat but I'm still going glock + AR

What is the longest possible uninterrupted straight line you can draw in the home you live in? Unless you live in some kind of multi-million dollar mansion on a sprawling estate, then that line of probably only ~25 feet.

At those distances, shotgun choke means NOTHING. Regardless of choke, the pattern coming out of your shotgun barrel at that distance will be, at max, three inches across. Probably closer to two inches.

2 Likes

Short barrel AR 15 or pistol caliber carbine.  Handguns are by far the hardest to become accurate/proficient with...most people couldnt hit the broad side of a barn, let alone a moving person under stress. 

This special forces soldier breaks it down pretty well:

1 Like