gokudamus - 
Sprawl'n'Stall - #1 is hearsay at this point
#2 really? There has been MMA fights in Quebec way before the UFC came to town
#3 interesting if true

1) hearsay? ummmm no...they literally allowed him over 170

2) yes really

3) true

Others have made their points about #1 LOL

As for #2, again, there has been a LOT of MMA fights before and since the UFC came to Montreal, and many local MMA leagues, so hard to say Zuffa "owns the Quebec AC" because the UFC held MMA events!

#3 would be more on point, if it happens to be so.

Hi guys, I wrote article #2 and #3 cited in OP. I can confirm both are accurate.

Quebec's rules only allow 'mixed boxing' instead of MMA with some bizarre rules like no standing chokes, ceasing action after a knockdown, prohibiting knee and elbow strikes not to mention strikes to the knees.

They ignore these rules for the UFC but likely not the UFC alone.  John McCarthy told me officials there are instructed to use the unified rules instead of Quebec's.  http://combatsportslaw.com/2014/04/17/the-dozens-of-ignored-broken-rules-at-tuf-nations-finale/  Not the biggest deal if everyone is on the same page but I've been saying for years that Quebec should formally amend the rules,  not make it up as they go along.  There is something very strange about an AC instructing government licenced officials to ignore their actual rules.

With #3, this is more problematic.  Quebec law provides many protections for fighters when it comes to fighter/promoter contracts.  Once a fighter and promoter are licenced in Quebec things could get very interesting if they tried to take advantage of these staturory protections to get out of a long term contract.

ErikMagraken - 

Hi guys, I wrote article #2 and #3 cited in OP. I can confirm both are accurate.

Quebec's rules only allow 'mixed boxing' instead of MMA with some bizarre rules like no standing chokes, ceasing action after a knockdown, prohibiting knee and elbow strikes not to mention strikes to the knees.

They ignore these rules for the UFC but likely not the UFC alone.  John McCarthy told me officials there are instructed to use the unified rules instead of Quebec's.  http://combatsportslaw.com/2014/04/17/the-dozens-of-ignored-broken-rules-at-tuf-nations-finale/  Not the biggest deal if everyone is on the same page but I've been saying for years that Quebec should formally amend the rules,  not make it up as they go along.  There is something very strange about an AC instructing government licenced officials to ignore their actual rules.

With #3, this is more problematic.  Quebec law provides many protections for fighters when it comes to fighter/promoter contracts.  Once a fighter and promoter are licenced in Quebec things could get very interesting if they tried to take advantage of these staturory protections to get out of a long term contract.

whoa .. good read

Dont you guys remember the big issue the Quebec AC had with the UFC a few years back?

The first UFC show held in Montreal was Serra-GSP II UFC 83 with no problems. Then a year later came UFC 97 & ZUffa thought it would be smooth sailing. However some politicians involved with the Quebec AC tried to stop it from happening. Citing the rules were not being followed & threatened to cancel the event.

DFW took it another step further & actually double booked the event just in case the Quebec AC got cute & tried to pull something last minute. (other location being Vegas)

When asked why the Quebec AC allowed the first UFC show and not this one they responded that "they didn't know about the UFC 83". WTF? How could they be on the AC and not know about a HUGE event that filled the Bell Center to the rafters? LMAO That statement just made them look incompetent.

So after the dust settled & Zuffa officials met with the AC there was only one rule change to the unified rules by the AC; no foot stomps (rules against stomping opponents). 

I can't be the only person that remembers this ....

Reading your stories it sounds super fishy but again, there had been MANY MMA events (and leagues) in Quebec before the UFC shows, and of course since. And if the rules wouldn't allow MMA fights as is, I don't think Zuffa would have come back so many times, especially this time with no GSP on the card. I mean, they have options!

MMAMAZ - Vous êtes tous des cons Phone Post 3.0

la corruption au Québec est bien connue.