Question about cauliflower ear

I wrestled for 6 years when I was kid and only wore ear protection for during school meets. Never got cauliflower ear.

I've only been doing judo for 3 months(with a heavy emphasis on newaza) and both my ears are getting cauliflowered-up. What gives? Is age a factor?

i think it has something to do with your vagina.

Lol Phone Post

Baroquen Record - i think it has something to do with your vagina.

Wait, you can get cauliflower vagina, too? Great.

I would like to learn any any information i can on cauliflower ear. I don't suffer from it(yet). I've heard you can drain the fluid from it but it comes back. One of the guys at training has it really bad(james thompson bad) in his left ear and he's got an mma fight in a few weeks.

The ear protection variable aside, it's mostly genetic...

If your ear cartilage is quite "stiff" you are very prone to it. If your ear cartilage is very "rubbery", you are far less prone to it.

Most people are between the extremes somewhere.

Of course all ears are flexible, so we are talking about gradations of how "stiff" & "rubbery" one's ears are.

As you develop a "cauliflower ear" your ear cartilage gets thicker and therefore stiffer, making you more prone to it in the future. So it tends to get worse over time, the more you grapple.

Shen is sort of correct, but it is mostly age.

Drain them when they fill up, or wear head gear. Phone Post

I always assumed it was genetic.  I've trained for a few years and I only have a little.  My buddy trained at 18 and his ears went crazy within a couple months.

As soon as mine starts to become visible, I'm getting headgear. :(

Its genetics.

Mostly it's the vibe

Ridgeback -  Wearing a kimono can make a big difference as far as abrasion of the ear. 

Even worse is when your ear starts to pull away.  I had a nice gash behind my ear where it started to come off.  <br type="_moz" />

I had the same , I had to get 3 stitches behind my ear , the doctor battled to stitch it up , its all good now .

Heck if I know. I've trained for years, had my ears banged up six ways from sunday, been caught in grinding headlock after grinding headlock, even had a dude try to rip them off...and nothing! Not even as much as real tenderness. Yet one time I put a whitebelt in kesa-gatame and the pressure from my (unimpressive) biceps caused his ear to swell up like James Thompson's in the span of about 30 seconds. Craziest thing I ever saw.

While I think most consider teh ugly ears a badge of honor and an implied sign of skills, now that I'm older I'm glad my ears have the rubber guard flexibility that my legs do not that has spared me from the teh ugliness that leads to ears falling off when Killer Kowalskis kick a person in the head! lol

joemasepoos - 
Ridgeback -  Wearing a kimono can make a big difference as far as abrasion of the ear. 

Even worse is when your ear starts to pull away.  I had a nice gash behind my ear where it started to come off.  <br type="_moz" />

I had the same , I had to get 3 stitches behind my ear , the doctor battled to stitch it up , its all good now .

Holy crap, this can actually happen?!?!

Genetics. I grappled over a decade, many weeks with 6-10 training sessions, and only had to drain once. Phone Post

6mildollarman - 
joemasepoos - 

Holy crap, this can actually happen?!?!

its very easy to rip off an ear.

cauliflower ear has a direct correlation to a higher incidence (sp?) of certain types of cancer.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/07/07/ep.doctors.oncology.cohen/index.html?hpt=he_c2

Oh sh!t, I'm going to the doctor after reading that article.

Thanks a lot, Empire! I clicked on that "article" while at work and had to talk to my supervisor about visiting "man-sites" on the internet.