Question about Elvis' BJJ game?

While I realize that Sakuraba is very difficult to control (very very difficult), Hughes is also difficult to control, and Rampage isn't that easy to control either. When watching Charuto you can see him going for submissions, setting them up, working in chains, etc. Same with Minotauro, or even Arona (who was previously fairly passive) against Rampage.

Elvis seems to have a very passive approach, but I remember that he chains subs together like no other in BJJ (from the little clips I have seen). Is it just that Nino has trouble doing that without a gi, and he is more of a gi machine?

Was it really just Sakuraba being that hard to control? While I was cheering for Sakuraba, the inability of both of them to make movement was disappointing from a fan perspective.

this wasn't added to my threads for some reason ;o(

Nino Elvis is a BJJ machine, but unlike Minotauro, who is an iron-chinned warrior, he does not react well to getting punched in the face. The fear of getting punched makes him look very tense when standing up and when on the ground, he is so busy trying to tie his opponent up with the high guard that he can't work his usual beautiful ground game. Nino just holds the high guard (sometimes holding his foot) and goes for telegraphed omoplata/gogoplata attacks and doesn't open up the guard to try for sweeps or armbars.

There is a huge difference between sport jiu-jitsu (or submission grappling) and vale tudo. Not everyone can play their game when getting punched in the face. Guys who have no fear when getting punched in the face like Charuto and Minotauro can relentlessly attack with submissions from the guard in an almost sport BJJ fashion. Other top guys like Shaolin and B.J. Penn avoid that game to play the top game and go for arm triangles and taking the back.

Yeah, interestingly enough, from what little I've seen from B.J. Penn's fights, it doesn't seem like he has an amazing guard. In UFC 35, he was constantly trying to do a kimura, but had no luck. He didn't really try much else. But then again, it seems that very few fighters have a great, active, agressive guard today. Elvis' guard comes to mind, as does Mino's and Ricardo Almeida's.

Jonpall: You say Elvis has a 'great, active and agressive guard. No truer words have ever been said. I am one of his students, and man if you end up in his guard you are in a world of pain. I can have perfect posture (reletively) when he starts going for his move, i have seen it many times before, i defend the sweep with difficulty, oh wait, i am now in an armbar. I said to him once, "whats the deal, i had good posture and everything and you still armbarred me", to which he replied, "Well then it is clear that your posture isn't as good as my armbars".

Ps. He then tapped me again, with the same move.

I hope we will see more of Elvis fighting or grappling in the future.