question about fatigue/tired

depression?

I'm sure I have depression, but I know the bigger problem is sleep apnea.

Everyone is depressed, regardless of the false sense of happiness you try to hide it with. That is why there is so much drug and alcohol abuse. Don't get me wrong, I love life, but humans are never satisfied. It's like a camel being led by a carrot. Any success is never enough. It's what keeps mankind going as a whole, but keeps each of us from reaching full potential. Either way, the only thing to do in life is keep pushing forward! Keep going! Never quit! Fight to the end!

People are depressed because they have never been taught how to be happy. A lifetime of negative re-enforcement/programming will do that....your neural pathways become trained for negative thought patterns and electrical current will flow through the path of least resistance.

hello Mr. Over Training is at the door and he is here to see you

going for the sleep study tonight and tomorrow. i'll let you know what they say....

I'm AMAZED nobody has mentioned this yet...

"quaker oats, whole wheat pasta, things of that nature"

Gluten allergy?

I have had similar issues in the past with energy levels. About 6 months ago or so I cut back on gluten containing foods and I saw a huge difference. Actually, a few weeks ago I bought a loaf of bread and ate half of it one day starting at 9AM. By 3PM I was starting to feel tired (unhealthy feeling of exhaustion), loss of appetite, my body didn't feel right etc.

Read this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten_intolerance

Aside from that there are other things it may be like pernicious aenemia (sp?), other food allergies etc...

I think you're best bet is to try and cut out gluten (or preferably all known allergens) for a few weeks and see how you feel. It can be a huge hassle to cut out bread but if you really want to try and get rid of this problem, it's worth trying it.

thanks U4EA. i'll definitely look into that...

Sounds like general fatigue or maybe adrenal fatigue (probably the latter tho)
Cause? You over train! One wk off every 6-8wks is not enough when you lift 5x/wk (Unless you're on some pretty special multivitamens!!!)
You need to take 2wks of and then come back to lifting a MAXIMUM of 2x per wk. MAXIMUM! Unless you're a student who can eat and sleep all day, anymore than that, especially added to bjj or mma is too much. You may not notice the effects you're pace is having for a while, until you feel shit everyday. Rest more.

I went for the sleep study. They put about 15 probes on my head and body. I went to sleep like normal at night around 10pm, and they came in and woke me up around 6am.

The daytime study consisted of 4 naps spread out over the day. They didn't tell me when I was going to be taking the nap until about 5 minutes before. Then I had to try and fall asleep [which was no problem]. They woke me up maybe 5 minutes into the nap [which sucked]. Then I had to try and stay awake for another couple of hours until they told me to take another nap. I kept falling asleep sitting there watching tv!

I will not get the final results for a couple of weeks, but they did say that there were some definite issues...

intersting. please keep us posted. i think unrestful sleep is probably a problem for a lot of us.

ttt

Got a call from the nurse at the sleep center. She read me the results of the study. Basically, beyond snoring a little bit, there was not a whole lot wrong at night. She said that it took me 13 minutes to fall asleep, then 2 hours to get to REM. I asked if that was normal, but she said there was no 'normal' as far as that goes. There was no 'restless leg syndrome' or anything like that. She said that my oxygen levels were pretty normal.

The results of the MSLT [daytime nap test] were a lot more significant, evidently. She said that she could not quite understand his notes, but he wanted to see me right away, at the next available time. She said that I fell asleep almost immediately during these tests and could not tell me anymore, but that he would diagnose me when I go in to see him, whether it be narcolepsy or something else.

My appointment is Tuesday the 19th...

Well, at least you are getting somewhere dude.

Even if they do tell you what they think is wrong, I think it may still be an idea to check for gluten intolerance, it's very common...

If I did have gluten intolerance, what would I need to avoid?

Google gluten containing foods.

Anything from wheat for starters - bread, pasta etc. Oats...

It's a very common intolerance. In fact, some "experts" now think it's just toxic to the human body. Period.

Got the results back. The night study showed that I had mild sleep apnea, as I stopped breathing 8-10 times over the night while I was asleep. They were brief moments; not enough to be considered chronic sleep apnea.

The daytime test was the bad one. It only took me 2 minutes to fall asleep each time [4 times total]. He said that this indicated a serious problem. They look for a certain pattern to diagnose someone as narcoleptic, but it did not appear for me. He said that the medication I am currently taking could have masked these symptoms. He told me that there was a good chance it was narcolepsy, but since those patterns were not there, he could not call it narcolepsy.

The diagnosis was Idiopathic Hypersomnia. He described it as "narcolepsy's first cousin". If you look it up and read the symptoms, it pretty much hits the nail on the head. The only treatment that is available is medication. He gave me a small dose to try and I have to go back in 2 weeks.

I was glad to find out that it was not something I was doing that caused it. Not overtraining or eating the wrong foods. If one of you guys fits these symptoms, I'd suggest going to get it checked out. I am glad that I did....

he said that there were several. i had tried provigil before i went in for the study. it did not work for me. i would still go home and sleep.

he gave me adderall to take twice a day. 10mg i think...

the thing that sucks is that i don't want to take any medicine. but, you gotta do what you gotta do. if it helps, then that will be great. if not, then that sucks... :)

Look on the brightside dude - at least you are living in a time where people know enough to help you.