Question about Fedor: How does he stay calm?

I seriously want to get to ask the guy himself some day.
Got lethally slammed from 6ft high right down on his neck. Reversed the guy and forced him to give his arm for a kimura.
Got stunned and rocked by Fujita and immediately clinched and proceeded to win.
Has he ever been asked this before? How does he manage to control his mind so well in these kinds of situations... I know you can get better at this by training alot but this guy has reached level (over) 9000 when it takes a decade to get to level 100.

Or is he a cyborg?

nenetis - I seriously want to get to ask the guy himself some day.
Got lethally slammed from 6ft high right down on his neck. Reversed the guy and forced him to give his arm for a kimura.
Got stunned and rocked by Fujita and immediately clinched and proceeded to win.
Has he ever been asked this before? How does he manage to control his mind so well in these kinds of situations... I know you can get better at this by training alot but this guy has reached level (over) 9000 when it takes a decade to get to level 100.

Or is he a cyborg?

USSR military training.

Crazy fucking Russians are genetically fucking crazy, insane ability to stay calm in his fights is part of it Phone Post

Its Genetic.

Your either calm or your not.... it dosent matter if you are highly strung you just have to use different techniques to make yourself effective.

Actualy.... fear and anger are good emotions if you know how to manipulate them in your favour.

Its all tricks of the mind.

Inderal

Truemanc3 - Its Genetic.

Your either calm or your not.... it dosent matter if you are highly strung you just have to use different techniques to make yourself effective.

Actualy.... fear and anger are good emotions if you know how to manipulate them in your favour.

Its all tricks of the mind.

And you can handle a Randleslam?
I don't really mean to be a dick but if you know of it then can you practice it?
I try alot to control myself but I just can't get how people like Fedor do it the way they do. I really want to study them in real life some time and get to their level. I also want to figure it out.

Russian Jesus Power

Experience, confidence, and natural ability.

Not a Cyborg. Just Russian. Seriously, don't fuck with Russians. Phone Post

Everytime I have seen Fedor or read his interviews, he has exhibited a level of mental health that is estimated to exist in only 10% of the human population. And I don't refer to his calmness; I mean that I have never heard him distort reality.

All of sports psychiatry aims to maximize performance by embedding in the athlete's head that he is capable of amazing performance and negating internal obstacles. Some do it by getting all worked up ("I'll die before I lose!") or by convincing themselves of their own greatness ("I'm the greatest, no one can beat me, I did the work and I got the rewards!"), visualizations, affirmations, etc. etc.

Fedor, in comparison, has been able to say, "It's a fight. I'll go out there and do my best. Maybe I'll win, maybe I'll lose." This complete lack of distortion and acceptance of reality is so rare in human beings. Very few people can acknowledge that they may lose or feel negative emotions and still go out and give an untroubled performance.

This is the real reason Fedor is so fascinating and inspiring to me. I'd love to learn about his childhood. The study of what constitutes a healthy mind is actually one of the more poorly-explored aspects of psychology, but what I've read of it fits Fedor very well. the best book I've ever read on the subject was Life and How to Survive It by Dr. Robyn Skinner and Dr. John Cleese. (Yes, that John Cleese.)

When asked about how he dealt with Randleman dumping him on his head, he came back with something about training to fall from high places, lol.

And Lord Kancho... great post and VTFU.

Lord Kancho - Everytime I have seen Fedor or read his interviews, he has exhibited a level of mental health that is estimated to exist in only 10% of the human population. And I don't refer to his calmness; I mean that I have never heard him distort reality.

All of sports psychiatry aims to maximize performance by embedding in the athlete's head that he is capable of amazing performance and negating internal obstacles. Some do it by getting all worked up ("I'll die before I lose!") or by convincing themselves of their own greatness ("I'm the greatest, no one can beat me, I did the work and I got the rewards!"), visualizations, affirmations, etc. etc.

Fedor, in comparison, has been able to say, "It's a fight. I'll go out there and do my best. Maybe I'll win, maybe I'll lose." This complete lack of distortion and acceptance of reality is so rare in human beings. Very few people can acknowledge that they may lose or feel negative emotions and still go out and give an untroubled performance.

This is the real reason Fedor is so fascinating and inspiring to me. I'd love to learn about his childhood. The study of what constitutes a healthy mind is actually one of the more poorly-explored aspects of psychology, but what I've read of it fits Fedor very well. the best book I've ever read on the subject was Life and How to Survive It by Dr. Robyn Skinner and Dr. John Cleese. (Yes, that John Cleese.)

I actually got two books on social and biological psychology, they say very little of will. Sometimes I feel its a bit too much of a behavioristic touch to everything.

Calhoon - Lord Kancho,

There is a big difference in believing "no one can beat me" and being confident in your ability to win.

I think you might have a slightly distorted view of sports psychology.

or he isnt viewing it from a "sports psychology" perspective.

Calhoon - Lord Kancho,

There is a big difference in believing "no one can beat me" and being confident in your ability to win.

I think you might have a slightly distorted view of sports psychology.

When you are fighting,what is the need for differentiation?

edit

Cyborgs don't get excited. They also don't bleed. See Fedor vs Nog II ref: Fedor's cut to head.

:-P Phone Post

I think there is nothing to be "learned" by observing Fedors behavior in various situations.

He is quite simply a "simple man".

One who seems to have no overt distractions as far as his in ring performance goes.

He can use his tools every time just like a reliable machine can.

I doubt even Fedor would begin to try to speculate as to why that is.

It would go strongly against his nature.

He simply "is".

What I find crazy is the fact he never seems to have an adrenaline dump after the fight or anything. 

He can KO a dude in spectatcular fashion then just raises one hand and walks towards his corner.  Most fighters start going crazy jumping on the cage, screaming, etc.  To be in that much control of your emotions is insane to me.

Fedor is just a really quick, powerful dude who is technical on the ground and can KTFO you. That alone makes him capable of winning a lot of fights. What makes him so great though is that he seems to be able to make up his mind on what course of action to take in any given situation in a fight and then commit to it full force, 100%, while his opponent is still making up his mind on what to do. I think that's what allows him to end the fight at any point.

As for his ability to push through adversity, I think he probably views an MMA contest more like a streetfight than a sport, and that "finish or be finished, never stop" mentality takes over. Yes he looks calm while he does this, but it's not like some superhuman thing. It's not like the Secretary of Defense is going to burst through the Oval Office door screaming like his hair is on fire whenever there's a potential conflict. It's not like a veteran soldier on the battlefield is going to get wounded and then forget what the fuck he's doing and spazz out. There are thousands of examples of what Fedor can do. Professionals who are trained under fire can usually remain calm under fire. I just think it's all about his ability to make concrete decisions very, very quickly and then having the self-confidence and determination to be viciously resolute.

I also think it helps a lot that Fedor doesn't care about what people think of him, nor does he talk any trash, so there's no image to protect and there's no ancillary non-fight related considerations to distract him during his decision making process.

His legendary tokehold an hour before the fight.