Question about improving timing???

Hi all,

To improve timing is it better to just go with the flow and take whatever opportunity your partner might give you OR choose a submission and just go for it all day long???

A great question. The answer I think is both. They are both two different ways to train.

1. When training you don't press the action. You keep pressure on your opponent, but allow them to move. Get to a position and see what they end up giving you, try to flow from one position to another without forcing your will on your opponent. The end result shouldn't be winning or maintaining a dominent position but learning to anticipate your opponents moves first by one step. Then as you become more familiar with each position you will anticipate there movements 2-3 steps ahead and so on.

The key here is to be fluid, don't hold positions or use too much muscle. You can do this with an equal opponent if you're both "flow rolling" (I love warming up like this) Or you can practice on people not as skilled as you.

2) You should also practice forcing your game on your opponent. I like to pick a movement a sweep, submission, whatever. And just go for that for a week straight. If it's a straight armbar then just try to set up straight armbars from every position by steering your opponent towards that end. Then after that time period is up, switch it up.

I think both ways are important ways to train. One focuses on the moment while not worrying about the end result, and the other focuses on the end result and letting that dictate what you do in that moment.

Just my thoughts on how I like to train.

www.massbjj.com

anyone else....thanks all!!!

The way I've always done it is a lot like playing a video game at the highest level possible. Get 4 fresh partners and have each roll full strength until they can't function at their best, then switch partners. Timing is a matter of thinking and reacting faster than your opponent, the only way you can improve it is to actually DO the work. Train at the highest level possible even when you are tired, you'll find that your thoughts will know what to do even when your body refuses to cooperate.

csc....good feedback!
What do you mean by "train at the highest level"??
Physically going 110%??or else...

Basically, yes. If you roll with someone who is 100% and you refuse to put your all into it, you're going to get tapped. You can get loads of advice about this subject but it comes down to putting your body in that situation on a consistant basis.

Example: Crocop has the timing of a K1 athelete so he makes MMA striking look slow.

Years of conditioning at the HIGHEST levels will do that. Try rolling back and forth with multiple people for 1 full week and see what I'm talking about. The next week you will be a handfull for a single partner. Not only will your reaction time increase, you'll see better all around endurance. Unlike some people I don't believe in inactive BJJ, I like to push it and transistion often. If you gas then you know you need to work on endurance.

A problem that can arise from going hard like that is that you can end up rolling for survival and technique may go out the window and a lot of bad habits can arise.

When you roll the way massbjj mentioned you're perfecting your technique to the point where when its time to go hard like in fights or tournaments everything just flows. Plus you run the risk of injury and when you're hurt you definitly can't train properly and it puts a hold on your game. Most BJJ black belts feel this way and this is the way most traditional Thai fighters train. If you're worried about getting tapped fuck it its just training.

I don't know, what csc is talking about sounds like intensity rather than timing. For timing I'd think taking a deliberate approach and trying for a single technique would get you better results. What my old boxing coach used to say is "timing is less about speed and more about set up. It doesn't matter how fast you go, you just need to get there first."

The way you improve your timing is:

1. Improve your sensitivity; rolling the way I mentioned 1st will help here.

2. Imrove your technique; the second way I described rolling will help tighten up your technique.

You can't go hard all the time, what csc is describing is how I train before a tournament. It gets your cardio in great shape, and it does focus your technique to roll when you are exhausted.

I just really believe in slowing it down and studying what your opponent is doing and how you are reacting as well.

www.massbjj.com

Great advice massbjj. How long have you been
training?

Seamus

I've been training BJJ for 8 years, been cross training for about 7 years.

You know Kid Peligro has an article on this very topic in this months grappling magazine. I just was looking at it two minutes ago. He makes some good points. Worth checking out.

www.massbjj.com