Question about rights with police

Backstory. My brother let me borrow his big screen tv a couple months ago when I didnt have one. Just got my own so I was walking the tv to his house today since he only lives a half mile away.

While walking, I was stopped by unmarked detectives who asked me whos tv it was, where I was going. Where i lived, the number of the house and if i lived up and downstairs. Asked for my id. I did all this because I had nothing to hide but i felt somewhat violated.

Am i required to do all these things? I am a law abiding citizen. I am new to this town and have never had contact with this towns police force at all. I understand it may look suspicious but I cant walk down the street with a tv without being stopped and questioned?

And to top it off, as they were leaving, i said, you guys dont have to worry about me. He said, "thats what Jeffery Dhamer said". Like fuck you, buddy.

Any answers would be helpful as i dont know where else to ask. Just wanna know my rights.

Uh you walked half a mile with A TV? Is this a spin?

No. Im not a lazy bastard. Dont have a car at the moment so I just walked it. So what?

I want cops stopping anyone in my neighbourhood walking around with a big screen TV and so should you.

lol They have the right to stop and investigate suspicious shit.

Would have done the same in your shoes and it would have been fine with me, however his comment after is him being a dick when it sounds like you were being cool with it all. To me that's just a guy who is a pos

You would not have to show your ID, you would need to give them your name.

Depending on the state you may have to give them your name and address, and possibly the vaguest explanation of how you got there. 

You could tell them you were bird watching, allthough also depending on the state they could civil asset forfeiture almost anything and rob you without charging you with anything because fuck the police. 

Any rights you may have with cops exist only on paper.  You're lucky they didn't shoot you and steal the tv under the guise of civil asset forfeiture.

I don't believe your story and neither do the cops.

Congrats on getting away with stealing the TV.  You'll probably be able to enough meth with that to last a day.

That's probably the most suspicious thing you could ever see, good thing they asked. It should be mandatory to produce ID whenever asked by police. They are supposed to know what is going on in their area. 4 hours later when a television is reported stolen they will at least have a description.

CelticWarrior - 

That's probably the most suspicious thing you could ever see, good thing they asked. It should be mandatory to produce ID whenever asked by police. They are supposed to know what is going on in their area. 4 hours later when a television is reported stolen they will at least have a description.

"It should be mandatory to produce ID whenever asked by police."

No it should not be mandatory.

Of course the cop was a dick about it! He HAS to stop you on principle alone. Then, he realized you are not a tweaker with a big screen, you are just some guy in the grey area of the retard spectrum.

Stop was legal based off reasonable suspicion that crime has occurred I.e. theft/burg.

With that said, all the haters on here would have a field day with the cops if you did in fact steal the TV and it turns out detectives did see you and didnt stop because they didnt want you to feel violated by asking you some basic questions.

Lux Fixxins -

Lol @ feeling violated because police asked you a few questions.

Ill bet OP tells this story at every party going forward.  

No, I felt violated in the sense that i was bullied by police into giving them what they wanted. Walking down the street not doing anything wrong.

Look, I know it looker suspicous, thats not what im asking. I want to know what Im allowed to do if im stopped in that situation again. I know some of you say you have no rights and that may very well be true at that present moment but court is another thing. I wasnt doing anything wrong.

But seriously, how many people rob houses and walk down the street with a 40 inch tv? Does that shit even really happen?

Lux Fixxins -

Lol @ feeling violated because police asked you a few questions.

Ill bet OP tells this story at every party going forward.  

He's on Tumblr right now screeching about police brutality and profiling

You know what, fuck you guys.

Straydog24 - I want cops stopping anyone in my neighbourhood walking around with a big screen TV and so should you.
I'm in agreement with Stray here.

I got stopped one night walking down an alley. I was drunk walking home from the pub when the cop car pulled up. They asked me who I was, why I was there and where I was going. They asked me for some id and I showed them. Then they offered me a ride home, but I declined because the walk was good to clear my head and I was almost home.

When I got home, I thought to myself, "I'm glad those cops cared enough about their job to stop and make sure everything was alright".

When I told my hard left leaning brother in law the story, he gave me an earful about how wrong it was that I agreed to be "carded". Fucking toolbag. Why would I fucking make a stink over a cop wondering why I was wandering down an alley at 2AM?

Now I ask why you'd be so worried about a cop wondering why someone is wandering around with a tv in your neighbourhood. Especially after they cleared everything up and carried on? The only thing I can say is that they could've at least offered you a ride or help.

"To me that's just a guy who is a pos"

...That guy is also the guy who has to find the next Jeff dhalmer.

Catch 22 for the cops...damned if you do, damned if you don't.