Question about the UFC

I've just started watching the UFC having watched TUF and it seems pretty entertaining. I have studied Aikido for many years, and I was hoping to see some more martial arts techniques. In particular it seems like there's a lot of opportunities to use wristlocks to get out of trouble. I guess they're illegal. Why is that? Just because they come on too quickly to allow the other preson to tap?

Are you trolling?

While you might be able to get them on someone who has never seen them before, wristlocks rarely if ever work in a real fight against a skilled opponent

and no, they are not illegal, just ineffective

i beg to differ, i think some wristlocks work very well. i have even been shown a couple by some brazilian Black belts. it is more about chosing the right time to use them

"i beg to differ, i think some wristlocks work very well. i have even been shown a couple by some brazilian Black belts. it is more about chosing the right time to use them"

yes, that is why we see them employed so frequently in MMA fights

Tape adds support to the wrist making wristlocks harder... not impossible but more difficult

LOL at wristlocks not being effective, I get them on people every night. Did you know that the tokyo riot police all train in Aikido?

If they're not effective, why ban them??

Hard to grip sweaty wrists.

Wristlocks are perfectly legal. Feel free to try them out.

"LOL at wristlocks not being effective, I get them on people every night. Did you know that the tokyo riot police all train in Aikido?

If they're not effective, why ban them??"

They are effective against untrained people.

They are NOT banned - they are perfectly legal.

"Did you know that the tokyo riot police all train in Aikido?"

So what? MMA isnt people rioting in the street.

yeah, I'm sure one person you have resarched for months standing in front of you at a pre determined time and place is much more challenging than multiple rioters coming at you from all angles needing to be dispatched instantly.
LMAO

This troll is putting up a decent fight.

"yeah, I'm sure one person you have resarched for months standing in front of you at a pre determined time and place is much more challenging than multiple rioters coming at you from all angles needing to be dispatched instantly. LMAO"

Trained fighters know how to escape from submission holds and wrist locks are particularly easy to escape from if you know what you're doing. The handful of submission holds most frequently used in MMA fights are used frequently for a reason - they are more effective and less susceptible to escapes than the panoply of potential submission holds that could be used.

Thanks for that explanation Sijan. We take a differnt approach to submissions. I agree that if you just try and grap a wristlock someone will pull out of it. I notice that for most UFC submissions they squash the body down first. We put the body in motion and take it off balance and then apply the lock when they can't resist because they are too busy trying to get their balance back. I'd like to see someone try that in the octagon. I guess it would need to be someone who's not trained by the UFC though - so an outsider.

"I guess it would need to be someone who's not trained by the UFC though - so an outsider."

No one is trained "by" the UFC - all fighters train in their own separate training camps in a variety of martial arts. Believe me, people have already thought of this and tried it, and it just hasn't worked. Aikido is nothing new in the world of MMA.

"yeah, I'm sure one person you have resarched for months standing in front of you at a pre determined time and place is much more challenging than multiple rioters coming at you from all angles needing to be dispatched instantly. LMAO"

Sssssssooooooo true...

This is why we get such a huge crop of amazingly talented MMA fighters with a Riot Police background.

Remember, we're comparing exactly the same things as well!

Sijan, everything I've seen points to fighters being trained by UFC guys - Tito, Couture, Hughes, Liddell etc. Is this not true?

robert has it occurred to you that elite LEO's are not fighting in the UFC cause, well they're probably busy being elite LEO's. And for the same reason that soldiers don't really enjoy playing paintball...

If someone put a wrist lock on me I would stackem!!!

;)