Question about unorthadox grips

Joshuaresnick wrote:"yea.. what Dan and Rhadi said are both good ideas. how can you teach somebody something that is unorthodox if they dont know what is orthodox to begin with?"

The question was specific to BJJ. I assume the person is only interested in improving their BJJ, to be able to get another BJJis, presumably less skilled in throwing, to the mat in an inferior postion. I agree with both you and Rhadi that the best course of action in the long run is to learn "orthodox" Judo and then apply that to BJJ.

Ben R.

Hissho wrote:"Ben,
How do you recommend working on defeating the grip...and the opponents control overall? "

That's a pretty complicated question, as there are a lot different grips and situations to deal with. Rhadi JudoMachine suggested controlling the sleeve, which works really well. It's typical of Japanese Judo. They are masters of it. Apparently they are all taught how to do this from sometime shortly after birth.

This is the most basic thing I teach
1. Keep your hands up and hands open all the time, elbows down. There are exceptions this, but it's a basic defense against getting overwhelmed by a big grip. Your hand shouldn't be too close to your body, or too far away.

Learn the basic gripping methods, sleeve and lapel, double sleeve, high collar, etc. Then learn basic grip breaking and recontrol methods. Then how to move your body while grip fighting.

It get's pretty complicated, or at least too complicated for me to explain in words. It may sound trite, but you really need to find somebody who can teach you this stuff in person.

Also, if you can't do basic throws, then all the gripping in the world won't do you any good for long.

Ben R.

Could this thread be archived please?

Cheers,

Will