Question for black belts, RE: IBJJF

So I see it costs $400 to become an "IBJJF Certified Black Belt". My question is... do you HAVE to do this to compete at BB level? If not why would you do this?

Love,
A new black belt Phone Post 3.0

1) You can start getting stripes from the IBJJF if you ever have a falling out w your instructor

2) your brown belt students can compete and register under you Phone Post 3.0

???... That's misleading... If someone just got promoted to BB. It does NOT cost them $400 to have that recognized by the IBJJF....

I think it is $35 to get your IBJJF card,but then $400 and the ref's course for what chitownbjj is talking about.

CJJScout - I think it is $35 to get your IBJJF card,but then $400 and the ref's course for what chitownbjj is talking about.

Bingo.

The $35 allows you to compete. That's it. The $400 plus other fees (ref corse, first aid) will allow you to by pass any association and sign for you own students so they will be allowed to compete and will be recognized. You need to be 2nd degree "certified" to promote to black. When you want stripes you have to pay additional fees.

Okay I referred with my good friend and devastatingly handsome black belt Kyle Watson.

He said to just renew my card from brown belt a black belt for 30 bucks.

The $400 is just to be recognized as a black belt by the IBJJF like you guys said. Which is good because I don't have $400 to give to those crooks anyway. Phone Post 3.0

For those who said the $400 let's you bypass an assoc. is that confirmed as in you actually do that? I have continually tried to get the IBJJF to clear this up. It's possible the language barrier is an obstacle but they told me i would still have to have someone else sign off on the card after paying the $400. This was 2 years ago however. If true $400 is def cheaper than 1-200/ month x 12! Phone Post 3.0

BJJBuster - For those who said the $400 let's you bypass an assoc. is that confirmed as in you actually do that? I have continually tried to get the IBJJF to clear this up. It's possible the language barrier is an obstacle but they told me i would still have to have someone else sign off on the card after paying the $400. This was 2 years ago however. If true $400 is def cheaper than 1-200/ month x 12! Phone Post 3.0

You need someone to sign off in the application for the $400 certificate even if you already have a card. This means that you may have to join an association at first, but can leave after you have fulfilled the terms. As a black belt though, you probably already know someone that can sign off and not have to join their association.

BJJBuster - For those who said the $400 let's you bypass an assoc. is that confirmed as in you actually do that? I have continually tried to get the IBJJF to clear this up. It's possible the language barrier is an obstacle but they told me i would still have to have someone else sign off on the card after paying the $400. This was 2 years ago however. If true $400 is def cheaper than 1-200/ month x 12! Phone Post 3.0

Language barrier? Irvine California is where they list their contact address.
400 and ref course and first aid if you want to compete in ibjjf events as a black. signed off by a 2nd degree recognised by ibjjf.

carcaju -

Language barrier? Irvine California is where they list their contact address.
400 and ref course and first aid if you want to compete in ibjjf events as a black. signed off by a 2nd degree recognised by ibjjf.
It doesn't matter where they are located it seems I never get a hold of someone with solid English skills. Though I don't want to come off sounding bad bc they are always very nice and I appreciate them.

But I tried asking several times and I was sent an application told to pay $400 and have a 2nd deg sign it and I said "once I pay this can u request promotions from the IBJJF and request my card from IBJJF" and they said "the process of having a 2nd deg or higher sign off on my card had to be repeated every single year" even after I paid the $400.

It's possible they didn't understand what I was asking but idk. Before dropping $400 if just like to hear from IBJJF that if we pay it they can "sign off" on our stuff and we don't have to have someone else Phone Post 3.0

I am pretty sure you just have to renew your membership ($35)after you get signed off initially. This may be different for black belts though so don't quote me. The only reason I was surprised about you language barrier thing was I have had dealings with IBJJF while in Rio and urgently needed to get my paperwork in order to register for Rio International, and they were fantastic. Very prompt and helpful, without a hint of a language barrier. Infact I thought I was dealing with Americans to be honest. Good luck mate.

Thank you and yes on most things I have no issue. Always prompt. With simple things never an issue.

But I think I'm not getting across what I'm asking exactly. Or just asking too many questions at once about it. And yes that's what they told me id have to renew my card each year and it would have to be signed off by a 2 or higher. This is why I never bought the certificate. It didn't seem valuable if I was going to also have to pay an assoc still. It's been awhile I may try asking here sometime in 2014 and continue to follow threads such as these for updates.

There has to come a point one can achieve a sufficient rank to bypass associations Phone Post 3.0

Got my BB in the summer and all I've done is get my IBJJF membership card (I already had one for brown belt so I simply renewed it). I'm not bothered about the cert and full registration as I don't have $400 to pay out, plus I have no plans to run my own school, therefore promoting or signing off students memberships isn't an issue for me.

I also disagree with the hoops you have to jump through to be recognised - why should a non-teaching BB have to do a first aid course? I'm not running a school, and I think that first aid certs are more appropriate for instructors registering their school, rather than for individual BBs.

James

os3y3ris - Third degree and you're free. Until then, be ready to drop at least a couple grand a year to maintain your rank. Some people have given up their right to teach to avoid paying the dues. They sometimes let you off the hook then.

Re: "association fees", word on the street is that no legitimate black belt would sign your application. Hmmmm I wonder why that is...

Third degree and you're free.

4th degree and they still want more from me.

Would you two just settle this on the mat already

NAGA, GQ, Good Fight, Lutador, Dojo match, or Masonic lodge parking lot.  LOL @ not fighting unaffiliated guys; Helio is spinning in his grave.

os3y3ris - Can't really argue with open competition. And a parking lot? Like vale tudo? Is that ibjjf approved?

Yes, but you have to wear your belt over your speedo, and it can only take place on IBJJF-approved sand.  Also, you may not be allowed to fight in the vale tudo black belt division, because you're potentially not Black enough.

Seems like a lot of sour grapes with MMAHistoryProject and os3y3ris. Never seen anyone care so much about a private organization like these two. If you don't like the IBJJF or NAGA or GQ, you don't have to join them. Plenty of people belong to the many different federations out there and they're happy doing so.

You guys want some cheese with that WHINE?

os3y3ris, why won't a recognized, legitimate BJJ black belt sign your documents?? I think that says more about you than it does about the IBJJF. Seems like a vast global conspiracy just to screw you over...you must be that amazing.