Question for black belts, RE: IBJJF

Sanny, I'm going to say the same thing to you I said to him: if there is a dispute about someone's ability to grapple, then you get on the fucking mat with the other person.If you're not willing to do that, your belt isn't worth the cloth it's made of, and it's time to shut up.

Randy Bloom - Third degree and you're free.

4th degree and they still want more from me.
You can sign off for a couple ppl on this board right here in order to recoup some of your IBJJF fees :) Phone Post 3.0

os3y3ris - I refuse to pay for a belt. Simple as that. Not 400 not 2000. Carlos wanted beef, he's got beef.

Technically what he got was chicken.

So you want to belong to the IBJJF but you don't want to pay for it. I also want a Ferrari, but I don't want to pay for one.

We're both shit out of luck I guess!

Have any pointers on how I can start drafting my anti-Ferrari posts for the Internet? They're greedy assholes, imaging wanting me to pay for their product!!!!!!!!

Maybe you can ask MMA History Project how he got his college diploma for free. Paying an organization/institution for a piece of a paper recognizing your ability is ridiculous. The nerve of some people!!!!

I think your gripe here is the fact that you want to belong to the IBJJF, but no one will recognize you because you're a douche with sub par skills and probably pissed off a lot of people in the Boston bjj scene.

I've never heard of any legitimate BJJ black belt not being able to get a single 2nd degree black belt to sign his papers/

Did you burn alot of bridges, Jordan?

Did I miss the part where he said he wanted to belong to the IBJJF?  Are you actually afraid to get on the mats in a non-federation setting? This is martial arts, Sanny; you're attacking another man's ability and honor.  You have an obligation to get on the mat with him.

Even I have accepted challenge matches, and I'm just an Historian.  You either put your money where your mouth is, or you stop pretending you are a martial artist.

This is your problem, Jordan, you think that they said their tourney was the championships of BJJ, when in fact they said it was the world championships of iBJJf!

Whatever that is.

sannyasin - Seems like a lot of sour grapes with MMAHistoryProject and os3y3ris. Never seen anyone care so much about a private organization like these two. If you don't like the IBJJF or NAGA or GQ, you don't have to join them. Plenty of people belong to the many different federations out there and they're happy doing so.

You guys want some cheese with that WHINE?

os3y3ris, why won't a recognized, legitimate BJJ black belt sign your documents?? I think that says more about you than it does about the IBJJF. Seems like a vast global conspiracy just to screw you over...you must be that amazing.

Sanny wants you to think this is about two people tilting at a big windmill; it's not.  For those of you out there reading this, I want to ask you something: I want you to think through and estimate how much cash is collected during Mundials and Pan Ams; not money, cash. Then I want you to think about whether you have ever seen a Brinks truck there at the end of the day picking it up.  And remember, there were years where their events were cash only.  You know how much they charge, and you know how many people compete, and you know how many seats they sell tickets for.  Do the math, and ask yourself where that massive pile of $20's goes... to the bank in duffle bags?  Nope, that'd be an instant suspicious activity report.

This is precisely why they are under investigation by the State of California.

os3y3ris - That's the world governing body of BJJ right? I should hand over my money and my team name, right?

No, iBJJf is the name of a sport and they have every right to hold a world championship.  You keep equating iBJJf with something called, BJJ. Stop it.

Damn this got saucy in a hurry! Lol

It's going to get saucier still.

MMAHistoryProject - 
sannyasin - Seems like a lot of sour grapes with MMAHistoryProject and os3y3ris. Never seen anyone care so much about a private organization like these two. If you don't like the IBJJF or NAGA or GQ, you don't have to join them. Plenty of people belong to the many different federations out there and they're happy doing so.

os3y3ris, why won't a recognized, legitimate BJJ black belt sign your documents?? I think that says more about you than it does about the IBJJF. Seems like a vast global conspiracy just to screw you over...you must be that amazing.

Sanny wants you to think this is about two people tilting at a big windmill; it's not.  For those of you out there reading this, I want to ask you something: I want you to think through and estimate how much cash is collected during Mundials and Pan Ams; not money, cash. Then I want you to think about whether you have ever seen a Brinks truck there at the end of the day picking it up.  And remember, there were years where their events were cash only.  You know how much they charge, and you know how many people compete, and you know how many seats they sell tickets for.  Do the math, and ask yourself where that massive pile of $20's goes... to the bank in duffle bags?  Nope, that'd be an instant suspicious activity report.

Why do you care what a private for profit organization does with it's revenue? Are you anti-capitalist?

I don't understand why you care this much about a private company that has done more to further sport BJJ than anyone else.

Why are you so salty? It just comes across as jealously. Obviously your audience is minimal, since this entire thread and on bullshido is a private convo between you and 3-4 other people.

No one takes you seriously. Just a bunch of sour grapes from Matt and Jordan!

sannyasin - 
MMAHistoryProject - 

Why do you care what a private for profit organization does with it's revenue? Are you anti-capitalist?

I don't understand why you care this much about a private company that has done more to further sport BJJ than anyone else.

Why are you so salty? It just comes across as jealously. Obviously your audience is minimal, since this entire thread and on bullshido is a private convo between you and 3-4 other people.

That bullshido thread has been read by almost 18,000 people and is heavily up voted.  If the IBJJF is not properly handling the cash from their events, that is not "capitalism"; again, it's a felony.  

So um, not to derail this back to its actual topic, but...I'm a BJJ black belt.  I tried to register on the IBJJF website and only saw the option for $400, not $35.  Li'l help?

os3y3ris - We care because they're stealing Sanny. At no point once I reached instructor did I agree to pay them for continued practice of my trade. At no point were they authorized to make business decisions on my behalf. My instructor himself is not registered, so I can see that this is not a system that he's supporting either. It's also not a system that was in place when I received my brown belt four years ago. They legitimately have nothing to do with what it is that I do, but they decided to step between me and the instructor that awarded my rank to line their own pockets. They're a predatory company and people should be familiar with their practices.

Do you know what they do to immigrants Sanny? They get them over here on a visa with their IBJJF certified black belt as their work credentials. So what happens if these "voluntary" payments lapse? That's why we care Sanny. Because people that do that to other human beings don't need to be a part of this art.

How is it stealing when people are voluntarily paying for a service?? No one is FORCING you or Matt Philips to belong to anything. You can still train BJJ and operate a school and compete in other competitions without the IBJJF!!! LMAO!!!! Again this is just sour grapes from two guys who want all the benefits of being affiliated without having to pay. Apparently they must be doing something right since it seems like more and more people are registering and their competitions are stacked every year.

This is like the Seinfeld of BJJ threads: a thread about nothing.

MMAHistoryProject - 
sannyasin - 
MMAHistoryProject - 

That bullshido thread has been read by almost 18,000 people and is heavily up voted.  If the IBJJF is not properly handling the cash from their events, that is not "capitalism"; again, it's a felony.  

Do you want to be a policeman when you grow up?

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum:

What's your next shocking expose going to be about? How Apple is making everyone buy iPhones and not spending their profits on what you want them to?

this thread is fucking hilarious, MMA history and that other dude are pathetic, get a life

os3y3ris - What benefits do I want? I want the rank I was given by Vinny Souza on behalf of BTT and for the IBJJF to leave my business alone. They decided instead to harass me for about six months and interfere with my business to the point where my then instructor was fired.

How can you claim to have a world championship when its a 2k buy in? Yes, I can and do continue to run my business, but people should know what this costs. If the IBJJF hadn't approached my business in a hostile manner, then we wouldn't be having this discussion, but they did, so here we are. And they've tried that with others. We're tired of it. The predatory behavior needs to stop. If they want money, they need to step up and earn it, not punish people for not paying it. Its the difference between earning money and stealing it.

My students do not pay me any money for their rank. I had a guy come to me for a purple belt so he could take a job down the street from me. Hell, one I'd applied for even. When I checked the guy out, I could see he was a purple belt. So he got his belt, no questions asked, no money exchanged. He earned it and I respected that. Its called integrity.

And you question why we want integrity from the so-called governing body? I'm not the only one that's been approached like this, but I'm the one that's standing up and speaking out.

So have your fucking rank! Tie that belt around your waist. What's the PROBLEM? Or do you want recognition and a diploma from the IBJJF?

This who thread just seems like you're an arrogant douchebag for previously calling out Keenan Cornelius and contacting the IBJJF to get your credentials from them, but since no one recognized will sign your papers, you didn't get what you wanted and now you're on some kind of personal vendetta because of that. Everyone has seen your videos on YouTube at Grapplers Quest. It's ok that you're not that good, not everyone is cut out to be a great BJJ competitor but you have delusions of grandeur. You talk a big game, call out elite competitors like Keenan and Buchecha so you will be called on your bullshit. Plain and simple. Take the same out of your vagina and stop crying. You and Matt open up a school and go train together with your black belts or your whatever color belts you want.

We're all properly informed about the big evil International Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Federation and how they drown kittens in a bathtub every morning before they clock in child labor at their non existent physical location in California where countless of people have been, only in their imaginations.

Thank you two for caring so much about is and for maturely issuing internet fight challenges to strangers on the UG because U MAD

How can we ever repay Matt and Jordan for their everlasting concern and kindness. We're all children, we don't know where we should spend our money or where to compete. Thanks for caring and for opening our eyes. We would all be so lost and blind without you. The IBJJF is on a path of destruction akin to the Stay Puft Marshmallow man and won't stop until it crushed the dreams of average BJJ players around the world

knee smash - this thread is fucking hilarious, MMA history and that other dude are pathetic, get a life

THIS

I'm not a big defender of the IBJJF, in fact I'm not much of a fan of the "organization." But...
Where is the talk of the thousands of dollars coming from? Is this what it costs to become registered if you weren't promoted by someone that is registered? I thought it was $400 for the first year and $150/year after that. Which is quite pricy in my mind.

So say you get your black belt and have everything signed off on by your instructor but end up leaving the team you continue paying your yearly fee or whatever, does the IBJJF then award your "degrees?" Then after six years of having your IBJJF approved blackebelt you can in turn, promote blackbelts?

Also, how can the IBJJF screw with peoples work permits or getting their citizenship? My wife is from another country and she needed to have her EMPLOYER sign off on all paperwork to keep her status during her immigration process. I mean she didn't come as a bjj instructor or anything. But there are several "professional organizations" in her line of work but they didn't play into her being able to work or the process of obtaining her citizenship. It of course takes a long time and a lot of money but she's "American" now but born in Brazil.