Question for Canadian Parents

How old was your child or children when you bought them their first set of skates?

My son is 17 months now, and with winter fast approaching this is on my mind. Phone Post 3.0

my daughter was skating on her own by the time she was 3 and a half.

Ours is five and were putting her in skating in January.. :) can't fucking wait! MNG works in Canadian figure skating so he works with the coaches! Its gonna be awesome! :) Phone Post

guardbr8kr - my daughter was skating on her own by the time she was 3 and a half.

Impressive! :) Phone Post

guardbr8kr - my daughter was skating on her own by the time she was 3 and a half.
That's fantastic. Will grab a pair of skates and get him started.

Skating is in the blood, so may as well start early. My wife's dad played in the NHL and she was a figure skater. Phone Post 3.0

Just please don't become an obsessive hockey parent.

I work with three of them and they all treat everything as if it's the most important thing in the universe.

Grew up with a guy whose Dad forced him to play, made him practice every day. He was never very good and grew to detest the sport. Phone Post 3.0

Extendo - 

Skating is in the blood, so may as well start early. My wife's dad played in the NHL and she was a figure skater. Phone Post 3.0

make sure you suit the lil guy up with safety equipment as well, helmet with a face quard, elbow and shin pads for those nasty spills on the ice. I use a old metal fold up chair to teach the kids how to skate.

My daughter was 4 Phone Post

Extendo -

So who is her dad? Phone Post

nostripewhite - Just please don't become an obsessive hockey parent.

I work with three of them and they all treat everything as if it's the most important thing in the universe.

Grew up with a guy whose Dad forced him to play, made him practice every day. He was never very good and grew to detest the sport. Phone Post 3.0
Yeah, I'm totally not that guy and wouldn't add to the pressure.

Some parents are over the top. Phone Post 3.0

guardbr8kr -
Extendo - 

make sure you suit the lil guy up with safety equipment as well, helmet with a face quard, elbow and shin pads for those nasty spills on the ice. I use a old metal fold up chair to teach the kids how to skate.
Absolutely.

In retrospect, I can't believe how unsafe I was as a kid. Phone Post 3.0

Jbisquick -
Extendo -

Don't want to say because it would be too easy to deduce who I was as a result.

Some clues though. He won the Memorial Cup as a junior, was drafted in the same year as Sittler, who remains his best friend to this day. They watch all their Leaf games in Buffalo these days. Phone Post 3.0

I had my first pair at 3.

Mark Phone Post 3.0

Mark1 - I had my first pair at 3.

Mark Phone Post 3.0
Knew you were Canadian! Phone Post 3.0

I got my little girl a set of those double bladed trainer skates for 20 bucks of so when she was 2.5-3, she is 4.5 now and will be on her regular skates all this year, she wore them for half the season last year. Still needs help, but she will be on her own for sure this year.

And this is my backyard rink we built for the ladies (and me ;) If a blue wold be so kind) :

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x469/thewellhungarian/2012rink.jpg

Extendo - 
Mark1 - I had my first pair at 3.

Mark Phone Post 3.0
Knew you were Canadian! Phone Post 3.0

HA !!!!

thewellhungarian - I got my little girl a set of those double bladed trainer skates for 20 bucks of so when she was 2.5-3, she is 4.5 now and will be on her regular skates all this year, she wore them for half the season last year. Still needs help, but she will be on her own for sure this year.

And this is my backyard rink we built for the ladies (and me ;) If a blue wold be so kind) :

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x469/thewellhungarian/2012rink.jpg

My mum learned on cheese cutters! Phone Post 3.0

Im from Boston, mofo's. Whats this "Canadian parent" bullshit?

They should be out there by 3 1/2. My boys were.

Encourage them to watch hockey as well. My 12 yr old isnt the best skater, but he is almost always in the right position. I attribute that to him being such an avid watcher of the sport.

My 9 year old is a natural skater. Great skating, from the first time he went on the ice. He could give a shit about the game though. He is out for the fun. I guess thats what its supposed to be though!

Best sport out there for kids. Gives them so much. Long season = a lot of friends each year. Phone Post

Extendo - 
Jbisquick -
Extendo -

Don't want to say because it would be too easy to deduce who I was as a result.

Some clues though. He won the Memorial Cup as a junior, was drafted in the same year as Sittler, who remains his best friend to this day. They watch all their Leaf games in Buffalo these days. Phone Post 3.0

Lanny McDonald?