Question for Canadian Parents

My son had his first pair at 3 but truthfully hes just now getting the itch to play hockey at 4 and a half.

When I was a kid my parents put me in skating lessons when I was three and I was on a hockey team by 5 (tyke). 19 years of hockey and still at it. My kids will have the option to start skating at 3 as well. Phone Post

whenever they can

in my area, hockey isnt really huge.. well its canada so its big everywhere,

however, i find other sports in my area are just as popular

of my two girls, older one didn't take to it until seven, younger one picked it up at 5.

we don't skate much, and all is without lessons. just a fun thing to do for a few hours on a weekend...no hockey or figure skating.

they started cross country and down hill skiing at the same ages.

buckshot44 - 
Extendo - 
Jbisquick -
Extendo -
guardbr8kr - my daughter was skating on her own by the time she was 3 and a half.
That's fantastic. Will grab a pair of skates and get him started.

Skating is in the blood, so may as well start early. My wife's dad played in the NHL and she was a figure skater. Phone Post 3.0

So who is her dad? Phone Post

Don't want to say because it would be too easy to deduce who I was as a result.

Some clues though. He won the Memorial Cup as a junior, was drafted in the same year as Sittler, who remains his best friend to this day. They watch all their Leaf games in Buffalo these days. Phone Post 3.0

Lanny McDonald?

That would be so fkn awesome if true!!! McDonald was drafted in 73 though.

choadler - Im from Boston, mofo's. Whats this "Canadian parent" bullshit?

They should be out there by 3 1/2. My boys were.

Encourage them to watch hockey as well. My 12 yr old isnt the best skater, but he is almost always in the right position. I attribute that to him being such an avid watcher of the sport.

My 9 year old is a natural skater. Great skating, from the first time he went on the ice. He could give a shit about the game though. He is out for the fun. I guess thats what its supposed to be though!

Best sport out there for kids. Gives them so much. Long season = a lot of friends each year. Phone Post
Sorry, I know Boston loves it's ice time as well.

Thanks for the response! Phone Post 3.0

Fuck, I wish it was Lanny. Loved that guy growing up. Phone Post 3.0

Extendo - Fuck, I wish it was Lanny. Loved that guy growing up. Phone Post 3.0

As a die hard Flames fan, me too buddy. I would of been hella jelly :(

DAT STACHE

soliak - 
buckshot44 - 
Extendo - 
Jbisquick -
Extendo -
guardbr8kr - my daughter was skating on her own by the time she was 3 and a half.
That's fantastic. Will grab a pair of skates and get him started.

Skating is in the blood, so may as well start early. My wife's dad played in the NHL and she was a figure skater. Phone Post 3.0

So who is her dad? Phone Post

Don't want to say because it would be too easy to deduce who I was as a result.

Some clues though. He won the Memorial Cup as a junior, was drafted in the same year as Sittler, who remains his best friend to this day. They watch all their Leaf games in Buffalo these days. Phone Post 3.0

Lanny McDonald?

That would be so fkn awesome if true!!! McDonald was drafted in 73 though.

Won the memorial cup, drafted same year as Sittler, connection with Buffalo?

Maybe Gilbert Perrault!

I didn't learn until I was 8, but went on to play several years of hockey after that. My kids are 12 and 7 and have minimal skating experience, most of it on an outdoor rink which only keeps for a short time each year. If I wasn't so socked away in the mountains of BC now, then my kids would likely have had pleanty of skating experience, but as it stands, they each had their own ski passes by 2 years-old, and are now killing it on the mountain. My 7 year-old daughter is officially a better skier than me, and my son fucking destroys me now and goes places I couldn't even consider. Every Canadian kid needs some time on skates though, and mine have been short changed in that department.

My kids started skating when they were 3. They absolutely love it. Phone Post 3.0

I grew up in Newfoundland and was skating by 3. But it's easier to skate on salt water then fresh or artificial. Phone Post 3.0

Ozzabong - I grew up in Newfoundland and was skating by 3. But it's easier to skate on salt water then fresh or artificial. Phone Post 3.0

Really?

Theory of Everything - Perrault would have been my guess, but I thought he lived in his hometown.

Who ever it might be, I'm sure you've heard some great stories. You should share one! Phone Post 3.0
When I learned what year he was drafted I said wow Lafleur was first overall that year!

He looked at me disapprovingly and said who cares about that French asshole, let me tell you about Sittler. He should have been number one.

He outright refusedto talk about players from Quebec. Phone Post 3.0

sgotwalks -
Ozzabong - I grew up in Newfoundland and was skating by 3. But it's easier to skate on salt water then fresh or artificial. Phone Post 3.0

Really?

Yea because of the salt the ice doesn't get as hard as artificial or even fresh water. Thus easier to skate Phone Post 3.0

I think I was about 5 when my parents got me my first skates.