Question for car audio guys.

Someone gave me some Memphis Audio 6.5s for my doors and they have a little box in line about 4 inches from the speaker with a fuse, some wound copper wire and a circuit board inside. 

What is it? I didn’t take pics, but I can later if need be. 

![](upload://n77yKLFJRtaoir6QDL6IHFuv5eo.jpeg)

For your troubles.

If the speakers have tweeters in them they could be filters. Keeps low frequencies only going to the woofer & high frequencies only going to the tweeter. 

TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 - 

Someone gave me some Memphis Audio 6.5s for my doors and they have a little box in line about 4 inches from the speaker with a fuse, some wound copper wire and a circuit board inside. 

What is it? I didn’t take pics, but I can later if need be. 

Theyre crossovers. Split the highs to the tweeter and the lows to the woofer.

^These guys could be correct if they are separates but usually the crossover, even though passive, is not attached the way you describe for those.  If they're coaxial 6.5s then it's almost certainly a "bass blocker" aka inline filter probably 300hz.

Post some pics to be certain and/or google the part codes.

I suppose if they are high end Memphis speakers they could have an external passive crossover for a coaxial speaker. I’m not into high end car audio anymore.

It’s nothing. Just tear it off. It’s like those mattress tags that say not to remove them. They’re just for dealers to help them keep track of things. Go on, tear it off.

They are in fact coaxial, so I suspect you guys are right on the money. 

Thanks for the education. 

TherapyBoy -

If the speakers have tweeters in them they could be filters. Keeps low frequencies only going to the woofer & high frequencies only going to the tweeter. 

Dude. Thanks for coming from lurking just for this. Lol. 

1 Like
Homelander - Post some pics to be certain and/or google the part codes.

I suppose if they are high end Memphis speakers they could have an external passive crossover for a coaxial speaker. I’m not into high end car audio anymore.

I assumed it was separates, theres very few high end coaxes out there.

hundred percent a crossover

its a choke bro

the real question is it a linkwitz-riley or butterworth and does it have a zobel network? Is it a high pass, low pass, or high pass and band pass?