Question for DIY backyard Mechanics...

Do you know of any commercial big box stores that sell large sockets individually??

In need of a 35mm...

I took this weekend off to do a bunch of maintenance on my fleet of rust buckets and among that I need to change a front wheel bearing and unfortunately do not have a 35mm socket. It seems I have every size leading up to it and a few above. Everywhere I've been only has it included in sets. I'll buy the set if I must, but I'd rather get the single.

Got a busy few days... going to be doing a seized caliper, transmission lines, a condenser, front wheel bearing hub, rear drums shoes and spring kit, 2 different sets of rocker panels, rebuild 2 inner wheel wells, and attempt to patch/weld an exhaust. Fun times.

Actually on second thought... anyone know if Autozone's loan a tool thing includes socket sets? I've never actually used that program to know what you can and can't rent/borrow?

Is there like an industrial/specialty machine tool supply store nearby? I had the exact same situation as you once many years ago. Needed a big socket that none of the big box stores or regular hardware places carried that I found at said specialty store. 

Ebay? It'll probably arrive Sat if you order now. 

Go to harbor freight

^^ Not that I specifically know of, but I struck out at the local hardware stores and such. That's why I asked for any big box stores... I was going to send the wife while I'm working on the other stuff.

^Ebay is a no go as I want that vehicle done today. I live in a state with inspections... of the 4 vehicles I have, one is a project, one is expired and currently illegal, so I need the other 2 up and running today for the wife and myself.

The_Rapist_/_Therapist - 

Go to harbor freight

Was there this morning getting other shit. They didn't have the individual, but they did have a $50 set that had it. I almost picked it up, but I thought for sure my local hardware store that sells singles would have it. If must, I will be sending the wife back that way.

Fucks sake. Called Autozone, my local one only has it in sets. The loaner set they have was already picked up today and the soonest they can have on is Saturday.

Looks like the wife is going back to Harbor Freight.

Axle nut sockets are pretty easy to buy individually at auto parts stores. I just checked my local Advanced Auto/Car Quest, AutoZone, and O'Reilly, and they had several variations in stock. All around $20.

Also NAPA had them as well if you have one around. Have any mechanic neighbors?

* edit - O'Reilly and Advanced Auto loan tools as well if you have them in your area.

Believe in the Power of One - 

Axle nut sockets are pretty easy to buy individually at auto parts stores. I just checked my local Advanced Auto/Car Quest, AutoZone, and O'Reilly, and they had several variations in stock. All around $20.

* edit - O'Reilly and Advanced Auto loan tools as well if you have them in your area.

Thank you!!

I'm a dumbass! I completely forgot about Napa. The one in my town is old as hell, and therefore a few miles away from where all the newer plazas and developed areas are. I haven't been there in so many years I forgot it was even there.

In stock, $13.49!

Lurker99 - 
The_Rapist_/_Therapist - 

Go to harbor freight

Was there this morning getting other shit. They didn't have the individual, but they did have a $50 set that had it. I almost picked it up, but I thought for sure my local hardware store that sells singles would have it. If must, I will be sending the wife back that way.

years ago I needed a 36mm and I think I paid a buck a mm for one socket so you didn't do terrible if you got a set
tools are always useful to have

Lurker99 -
Believe in the Power of One - 

Thank you!!

I'm a dumbass! I completely forgot about Napa. The one in my town is old as hell, and therefore a few miles away from where all the newer plazas and developed areas are. I haven't been there in so many years I forgot it was even there.

In stock, $13.49!

Good deal! Let the busted knuckles commence.