Question for dudes with desk jobs

The more I read about sitting all day and its health effects (its bad...apparently horrible for your body in the long run, go figure), the more I worry about my health given that I sit at a desk for 8-9 hours a day.

If you guys sit on your asses at work as well, do you do anything to break it up? What are your thoughts?

Don't they make cubicles with a chest high shelf so you can alternate. Phone Post 3.0

dizz - The more I read about sitting all day and its health effects (its bad...apparently horrible for your body in the long run, go figure), the more I worry about my health given that I sit at a desk for 8-9 hours a day.

If you guys sit on your asses at work as well, do you do anything to break it up? What are your thoughts?
Stand

/thread Phone Post 3.0

Search the 'Do you Fap at work' thread.

Plenty of helpful suggestions in there.

You're welcome..

My thoughts are mostly how I wish I made better choices in life to not have ended up in this position.

have another work space that is standing height? Phone Post 3.0

You have to get up and walk around, it's just that simple. If you can't remember, set an alarm on your computer. A coworker has one of those fit bits and it alerts him when he's been sitting too long. Also, don't use the bathroom closet to you, go up or down a floor if you can.

I work on my feet for 8 hours a day and I can tell you the effects are just as bad.

Balance is the key. Phone Post 3.0

My company is transitioning to stand up desks. Sitting all day is truly awful for your back. It's just plain unhealthy. Not that standing for 8 hours on concrete is fantastic for your knees but its better than sitting. Phone Post 3.0

Also....many of the folks I work with take breaks and walk laps around our building. Maybe 3 times a day for 15 minutes. Phone Post 3.0

Sit on an exercise ball. Work out on lunch. Phone Post 3.0

You should take 15 minute breaks twice a day and just walk around if you can. Plus leave for lunch and go walk somewhere for 45 minutes.

Most places allow that, but there are always idiots that think it is impressive to sit and work through the entire day while sitting like a lump.

My last job was desk job and we were only allowed up for two 15 min breaks and for 30 min lunch.

Yikes. I'm starting a desk job next Friday. Stop scaring me guys. Phone Post 3.0

PeteyWheatstraw - You should take 15 minute breaks twice a day and just walk around if you can. Plus leave for lunch and go walk somewhere for 45 minutes.

Most places allow that, but there are always idiots that think it is impressive to sit and work through the entire day while sitting like a lump.
Even something like jumping jacks or planks would work.

Standing is not any better, ask any career cook and they will tell you how bad their feet hurt every day at the end of a shift. Phone Post 3.0

I walk around alot when not busy....go to gym at lunch...etc....its never that bad. Phone Post 3.0

SimbaSpice - Yikes. I'm starting a desk job next Friday. Stop scaring me guys. Phone Post 3.0
RIP. I've personally seen 12 people die at their desks. Phone Post 3.0

Every hour you should head to the bathroom and jack off, it's important not to miss any sessions throughout the day.

Mit - I walk around alot when not busy....go to gym at lunch...etc....its never that bad. Phone Post 3.0

Same here.  Our bigger printer is in another room so there is a lot of getting up and down throughout the day.  I rarely eat in the office and lately been hitting the gym during my lunch.

I have a little ritual before I go to bed with some mobility/muscle activation stuff.

Foam roll glutes, hams and spine. Stretch glutes, hip flexors, lats and pecs. Then muscle activation work on glutes and scapulae.

Sitting at a desk slowly makes you curl up into a little ball, all the muscles in your posterior chain turn off and everything else gets tight.