Question for my fellow athiests...

We have an 8 year old daughter. We've talked about religion and God and have shared our views of it with her and told her that some people believe in a higher being and that she's free to make her own decisions in the matter and that it's probably something she won't really be able to do until she's older.

Her friend across the street has invited her to this for a day:

http://www.harvestdenver.org/high-five

She's really excited about the activities, and how much fun is to be had, but as you can see, there's a lot of talk about Jesus.

I don't care if my daughter becomes Christian, Jewish, Muslim or something else, i just want it to be a decision she makes, not something someone else makes for her.

What say you OG? I was leaning towards no, the wife seems not to care. Phone Post 3.0

You say you want it to be her decisions 

You not letting her go is you making a decision for her

If you really don't care either way than you would let her go.

I have a buddy of mine who is an atheist yet wanted his daughter to be somewhat religious because he didn't want her to turn into a raging whore when she got older. I don't think a girl being slightly religious is a bad thing Phone Post 3.0

Veegoh -

You say you want it to be her decisions 

You not letting her go is you making a decision for her

Ive considered that, but also want to protect her from brainwashing, which is what I feel was done to me. Phone Post 3.0

failure at life - If you really don't care either way than you would let her go.

I have a buddy of mine who is an atheist yet wanted his daughter to be somewhat religious because he didn't want her to turn into a raging whore when she got older. I don't think a girl being slightly religious is a bad thing Phone Post 3.0
The biggest sluts I knew growing up went to church every Sunday. Religion isn't the only place one leans morality from nor would I say it's the best place. Phone Post 3.0

She has her entire life ahead of her to sort out her religious identity.  I say let her go and have an experience.  

Let her go. I'm in the same boat, let my kid goto afterschool bible class for 3 years. My kiddo likes to read about all religions and ne day the teacher said anyone who doesn't believe in the "One True God" will goto hell... kiddo didn't like the message and never went back.

Let her go and have some good honest fun. I don't see the issue here. Phone Post 3.0

failure at life - If you really don't care either way than you would let her go.

Ironic. In my experience the ones who are raised extremely religious become the biggest whores. I mean like fuck me and my friends in the ass while wearing a priest collar level whores. Phone Post 3.0

A girl in my 9yr old boys class handed out mini jehovah's Witness booklets. I flipped called the school( private nondenominational) and asked Wtf. They had no idea. Apparently I was not alone the school made it clear this wasn't acceptable.

I don't think children should be exposed to religion until they stop believing in Santa
At what point does an active imagination just mean you make shit up Phone Post 3.0

Shit. We let our kid go.... It makes no real impact. For a day or two they will say crazy shit like , the earth is 5000 years old or god watches you, but then wwe raw comes on and they forget Phone Post 3.0

Let her go. Let her have fun and eventually figure it out.

I'm an atheist, but I still go with my family to church on Sundays. Once you filter out the references to god, some of the lessons and life advice are actually pretty good. And my kids love the kids club activities. Not a big deal to me. Phone Post 3.0

Caleb - Let her go and have some good honest fun. I don't see the issue here. Phone Post 3.0
A little afraid about peer pressure to accept the belief. That's not the decision I want to force an 8 year old into. Phone Post 3.0

I might want to go to supervise. Being exposed to religion is great, it being forced upon your child while you're not there is not. Phone Post 3.0

A decision she makes at 8?

At 8, she doesn't have a decision to make. You do.

That said, it's not a big deal. She's not gonna catch the Jesus fever if her parents are rational. If anything, it will teach her religious tolerance. Let her have some fun with her friends. Phone Post 3.0

Dumbest logic in the world. Sluttiest bitches I've ever known were God fearing, pray every night, church on Sunday girls. A close neighbor I grew up with, was a virgin until she met her husband. Wow people's logic about life is so warped. Phone Post 3.0

Meant to say the girl I grew up with was an atheist. Phone Post 3.0

Let her go and see if she like it. Some people need to believe in dragons or they won't make it in life. Phone Post 3.0

I'm in the let her go camp as well. I'm sure Christian shit isn't the only fairy tales she hears as a child. She will have to decide what stories she believes or doesn't believe as she grows up, whether or not she's exposed to Christianity right now. Phone Post 3.0

I think the best thing is to expose your kid (and yourself) to as many good and bad ideas as possible, so as to build her natural abilities and intellectual immune system. If you shelter her, I worry that as soon as she is exposed to something idiotic along the way then BAM it will infect her. Phone Post 3.0