Question for my fellow athiests...

Preachers are just salesmen. How confident would you be having your 8 year old daughter negotiate the price of a car? She's just not ready for it. Remember how easily you were duped at that age to believe in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy? 

If you expose her only to Christians she is likely to be Christian. If you expose her only to Buddhists she's more likely to become Buddhist. We are conditioned beings. I would make sure you raise her grounded in critical thinking skills and the rest will fall into place. 

My daughter like going to the Chinese super market for tyne corn dogs, now she's Chinese! !!! Stand your ground op Phone Post 3.0

Rabbit_in_the_Moon -

Preachers are just salesmen. How confident would you be having your 8 year old daughter negotiate the price of a car? She's just not ready for it. Remember how easily you were duped at that age to believe in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy? 

If you expose her only to Christians she is likely to be Christian. If you expose her only to Buddhists she's more likely to become Buddhist. We are conditioned beings. I would make sure you raise her grounded in critical thinking skills and the rest will fall into place. 

This is sort of my thought except that I distinctly remember sitting in Sunday school in third grade listening to a woman teach a story from the bible. I don't recall the exact story, but I do remember thinking, "do these people really believe this nonsense or is it another grown up lie like santa" (I was raised Jewish but well aware of this lie).

I'm just not sure she'll question it even though, let's be honest here, the Jesus story is a pretty big pill to swallow. Phone Post 3.0

"Don't make the choice for her man. Let her come to these conclusions herself"

These people don't get it. Don't take their advice.

Events like the one you describe stack the deck. The whole point is to mix jesus up with "fun". Therefore building that mental connection. It's manipulative, and highly effective with young children. SHe'll have fun, and associate it with the church and religion. That's the whole point. Ring the bell, and the dog will salivate.

The organizers know this. They're not stupid.

Your eight year old unfortunately is not yet worldly enough to figure this shit out. Nor, apparently, are half the people on this thread.

You may as well put a loaded gun with a hair trigger in front of your kid. "Let them figure it out!".

How about no.

myersei - 
Rabbit_in_the_Moon -

This is sort of my thought except that I distinctly remember sitting in Sunday school in third grade listening to a woman teach a story from the bible. I don't recall the exact story, but I do remember thinking, "do these people really believe this nonsense or is it another grown up lie like santa" (I was raised Jewish but well aware of this lie).

I'm just not sure she'll question it even though, let's be honest here, the Jesus story is a pretty big pill to swallow. Phone Post 3.0

You were sitting in SUnday school, probably miserable as fuck.

Huge difference between that and "having a blast, diving through mud pits, and ziplining with your pal Jesus!"

When your having fun, making new friends, and going on adventures (while getting subtly indoctrinated) it is damn hard to use critical thinking. Especially for an eight year old.

This is how people get wrapped up in all sorts of dangerous clubs.

Yup. The preacher will use every trick in his book to convert your daughter. Peer pressure from her new friends will be almost insurmountable. 

Keep her away from that religious shit. It's a cancer that infects the minds of the young. If she wants to make that choice when she's an adult, great, but children need to stay a away from it. Phone Post 3.0

Here's the story from her side

-my dad won't let me play with my friends because church is bad

That's the decision you are making for her, like it or not. Let her go and if she has questions then she will come to you and ask, if you truly don't care which choice she makes (like you said in OP) then what harm is there in her going? Phone Post 3.0

Hopefully you get the right answers. I'm a non believer and my girl is, but we agreed to let our twins make their own decision when it time for them to. They are only a year old so I have a few years till I have to worry about it. Phone Post 3.0

RockTheVote - Coloring books, cartoons, songs... If they offered kids cigarettes like this would you trust your kid to make the right call? Man I don't know. I'm one of those "none of your business what I believe, none of my business what you believe" atheists. My son is 4. Eventually I'll be facing the same crap with him. I'm in this thread to read opinions, not to really have one. Phone Post 3.0

me too.  i think my wife and i have been pretty good parents, tackling stuff directly and being upfront and honest on everything.  but this is the area we're really struggling with.  higher power allows the simple minded to escape the notion that life is finite.  kids are no more than that.  and to unleash the idea that life is finite with death as the grand finale on a kid must be terrifying.  i just don't want to lie to her.

MDubya - Here's the story from her side

That's the decision you are making for her, like it or not. Let her go and if she has questions then she will come to you and ask, if you truly don't care which choice she makes (like you said in OP) then what harm is there in her going? Phone Post 3.0

i don't think so.  we've been very direct with her telling her that religion is something some people believe in, we don't, and you can make the decision for yourself.  we've also stressed that it's really something you won't be able to understand completely until you're older.

myersei -
Veegoh -

You say you want it to be her decisions 

You not letting her go is you making a decision for her

Ive considered that, but also want to protect her from brainwashing, which is what I feel was done to me. Phone Post 3.0
You're gonna brain wash her to be an atheist... It's inevitable. You don't believe and as much as you say you'll let her make her own choice, the reality is you'll influence her toward what you believe to be true. It isn't intentional but it's impossible to avoid... Especially if you're talking to her about religion and atheism a 8. Phone Post 3.0

MDubya - Here's the story from her side

Nonsense.

Her story could just as easily been "yeah, my awesome dad took me to the zoo instead and we had the best family day ever" or a million other things.

She's eight. She is not ready to resist peer pressure and make her own decisions yet. Don't be absurd.

Dads are supposed to protect their daughters. My bet? You're a religious guy hoping for converts yourself. That's the only explanation for actually wanting a young child to be manipulated in such a way.

amadeus -
myersei -
Veegoh -

Ive considered that, but also want to protect her from brainwashing, which is what I feel was done to me. Phone Post 3.0
You're gonna brain wash her to be an atheist... It's inevitable. You don't believe and as much as you say you'll let her make her own choice, the reality is you'll influence her toward what you believe to be true. It isn't intentional but it's impossible to avoid... Especially if you're talking to her about religion and atheism a 8. Phone Post 3.0

i don't consider atheism to be brainwashing.  she was an atheist at birth.

a common misconception of atheism is that it's a belief.  it isn't, it's the lack of one.

amadeus -
myersei -
Veegoh -

Ive considered that, but also want to protect her from brainwashing, which is what I feel was done to me.
You're gonna brain wash her to be an atheist... It's inevitable. You don't believe and as much as you say you'll let her make her own choice, the reality is you'll influence her toward what you believe to be true. It isn't intentional but it's impossible to avoid... Especially if you're talking to her about religion and atheism a 8.

Yes, teaching critical thinking skills is brainwashing. In the kindest way possible, go fuck yourself. 

Haha. My kids goto church shit all the time with their friends. I'm pretty sure they haven't been indoctrinated or brainwashed.

Your kid might come home with some questions about things they hear or learn about there.

It's a good way to open up communications with your kids about people's beliefs and respecting people's beliefs.

You sound like a chicken who's mad at your mom and dad for shoving religion down your throat as a kid. Phone Post 3.0

Just to hit this point home.

From the OPs invitation (which no one actually read?):

"A fun filled week of TOTAL worship of Jesus Christ!

"High Five is a full-week, full-day action packed camp. This is summer camp like you have never experienced! Campers spend their days between group worship, dynamic teaching, and creative/crazy electives. Whether it is dancing or diving through mud pits, crafting or careening across a zip line, menu design or military strategy, camp leaders operate in their talents and gifts to reveal Jesus in everything.

As parents we have many options when it comes to scheduling our children. By registering for High Five, your child will be rewarded with a week of outstanding worship, truth filled teaching and crazy fun designed to help them know God and make him known."

This is an indoctrination program meant to manipulate young children through associative conditioning and peer pressure.

Shame on anyone advocating OP allows his kid to get involved with something like this if his intent is for his daughter to come to her own conclusions. That is the exact OPPOSITE of what this is.

hermanitor - 
MDubya - Here's the story from her side

Nonsense.

Her story could just as easily been "yeah, my awesome dad took me to the zoo instead and we had the best family day ever" or a million other things.

She's eight. She is not ready to resist peer pressure and make her own decisions yet. Don't be absurd.

Dads are supposed to protect their daughters. My bet? You're a religious guy hoping for converts yourself. That's the only explanation for actually wanting a young child to be manipulated in such a way.

I agree. 8 year olds are not little adults who get to make their own decisions about everything. If a parent deems something harmful, it's their responsibility to protect their children from it.

Veegoh -

She s 8 and is probably easily influenced.

I don't know what I would do as I have no children, maybe let her go for the activities if she is excited and then ask her what she learned afterwards and have a discussion about it Phone Post 3.0

good god. you'd be hard pressed to find more fear in any trump/Hillary/Muslim thread combined than what we are seeing here.
you say you don't care what they believe then freak out that she wants to go have a fun day with a friend. let her learn new things and have new experiences and then be an actual parent and converse with her when she gets home about what she learned and thinks instead of forcing your belief or lack there of. Phone Post 3.0