Question for OG BBQ guys

I'm hosting a big family BBQ on Sunday, and I plan on smoking some pulled pork. The problem is, I can't figure out the best way to go about it. It's a charcoal smoker, and based on the size of the pork, if I'm in the 225 range, it'll take me like 12-15 hours.

I've done the method recommended here: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/perfect_pulled_pork.html

"After 2 hours of smoking at about 225°F with lots of smoke, put the meat on a roasting rack in a roasting pan and pour a cup of water or apple juice into the pan. Cover the meat with foil and fasten the foil tightly to the edges of the pan so the meat is in a nice enclosed environment. Roast in the indoor oven at 350°F for another 2 to 3 hours or until the temp hits 203°F."

It's worked well for me, but I'm going to be cooking more pork than normal, so even that method will be a challenge. People are showing up around noon, and I'm hoping to have the pulled pork ready around 1:00.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I love these motherfuckers, but not enough to stay up all night cooking the pork. Any of you run into this issue in the past?

Just make the pulled pork in a crockpot and make some pork ribs on the smoker. 4 to 5 hours for the ribs and you will be all set. Phone Post 3.0

If you have a vacuum sealer or have access to one you can make the pork on saturday, let it cool and shred.  Then vacuum seal it and keep in fridge.  On sunday you can drop the bags into boiling water for 30-45 minutes to reheat. 

I've never made pulled pork for 15hrs and I still get a decent bark. It will pull, be moist and cook through fully in 6-8 hrs at like 300 temp.

& that's on a Weber. Started another fire midway and finished her off.

How much pork we talking?

^

This is the guy I was hoping would post, lol

And Pig Bun. Best BBQ skills on the OG IMO

^I learnt a thing or two from the Pun. Shit, I bought a big ass ugly smoker cause I saw his lol.

Truthfully, I got hung up on keeping my temp around 225 as well. Having talked with Pescy a bit he suggested going up around 275-300 range to do the cook faster and get the same results. This might fly in the face of what's conventional, but I've tried it and has just as good success with smoking. It cuts down on cook time quite a bit. Phone Post 3.0

Start the night before. Smoke it for 2 to 3 hours on the webber then cook it overnight in the oven at 225F wrapped in foil or butcher paper. The smoke really only gets absorbed by the meat for the first few hours. Phone Post 3.0

ribz - Just make the pulled pork in a crockpot and make some pork ribs on the smoker. 4 to 5 hours for the ribs and you will be all set. Phone Post 3.0

I have no idea about most BBQ stuff but I'm listening to this guy solely based on his screen name.

TFK_figure8 - Truthfully, I got hung up on keeping my temp around 225 as well. Having talked with Pescy a bit he suggested going up around 275-300 range to do the cook faster and get the same results. This might fly in the face of what's conventional, but I've tried it and has just as good success with smoking. It cuts down on cook time quite a bit. Phone Post 3.0

Called high heat smoking... Way better IMO. 5-6hrs tops. I'll put it up against anyone's on the planet and hold my own. 

FETT_TFK_El Pescadero -
TFK_figure8 - Truthfully, I got hung up on keeping my temp around 225 as well. Having talked with Pescy a bit he suggested going up around 275-300 range to do the cook faster and get the same results. This might fly in the face of what's conventional, but I've tried it and has just as good success with smoking. It cuts down on cook time quite a bit. Phone Post 3.0

Called high heat smoking... Way better IMO. 5-6hrs tops. I'll put it up against anyone's on the planet and hold my own. 

I even go 325-350... I don't use s temp gauge... 5lbs of coals on one side of grill, meat on grate above side with no coals, add some wood to your coals, cover... After 1 hr uncover quickly and spray with a beer... Cover again for another hour (flues wide open on top and bottom, never close bottom, regulate temp by closing top 1/4-1/2) then uncover, spray with beer and add 6-8 more coals. Cover and go 2 hrs, open spray with beer, add 6-8 more coals... Cover for final hour... Then put it in a aluminu tray and set in your oven (not turned on) ... Let rest for 45 then shred that juicy bitch up!

Enjoy Phone Post 3.0

Sagiv Lapkin -

^

This is the guy I was hoping would post, lol

Ya... Well I was hoping for Rickstorm or maybe Crooklyn... But hey you get what you get ;)~ Phone Post 3.0

FETT_TFK_El Pescadero -
FETT_TFK_El Pescadero -

I even go 325-350... I don't use s temp gauge... 5lbs of coals on one side of grill, meat on grate above side with no coals, add some wood to your coals, cover... After 1 hr uncover quickly and spray with a beer... Cover again for another hour (flues wide open on top and bottom, never close bottom, regulate temp by closing top 1/4-1/2) then uncover, spray with beer and add 6-8 more coals. Cover and go 2 hrs, open spray with beer, add 6-8 more coals... Cover for final hour... Then put it in a aluminu tray and set in your oven (not turned on) ... Let rest for 45 then shred that juicy bitch up!

Enjoy Phone Post 3.0
Have you ever tried this with brisket? I would like to try this with a brisket and pork shoulder at the same time but I've never done brisket above 275. Phone Post 3.0

I watch the  BBQ shows often. The pros are usually 225-275, but the really big dude does like 350. Def many ways to get it done.  IM a novice who does 225.

NiteProwleR - ^I learnt a thing or two from the Pun. Shit, I bought a big ass ugly smoker cause I saw his lol.

That big ass smoker is exactly what I was thinking about, lol. You and Pig Bun post the absolute best BBQ pics I've ever seen. Got any new pics of that huge smoker?

Mayfield -
FETT_TFK_El Pescadero -
FETT_TFK_El Pescadero -

Enjoy Phone Post 3.0
Have you ever tried this with brisket? I would like to try this with a brisket and pork shoulder at the same time but I've never done brisket above 275. Phone Post 3.0

Its the only way I do Brisket... Heavenly. It's who I love the weber, high heat smoking with ease. I don't care how easy a pellet smoker or plug in smoker is, it still takes twice as long. 

Weber kettle 22" #1 IMO 

NiteProwleR - 

& that's on a Weber. Started another fire midway and finished her off.

How much pork we talking?

12-15 pounds.

And fuck temp gauges, heart monitors and Apps to BBQ with... Doesn't do it for me. I've honestly never checked the temp on my Webber, I use a coal amount x lb of meat ratio... Nothing against anyone who uses them, it's just not for me. I hold my hand over the flue, if it's about 3 seconds before I have to pull away it's perfect temp, if it's quicker I close the flue on top a little, if it's not hot enough I open a little. So fucking east n fool proof.

People way over think Bbqn imho ... Relax, crack a beer, burn a Doob n make some food. People sweat the temp gauge like there life depended on it... Relax! Have fun. Phone Post 3.0