Question for OG BBQ guys

I just did this for my first time in Mothers day and it was a bitch.  I bought a cheap smoker from walmart bc I didnt wanna spend too much on something I dont know that ill use too often.  

I was up at 5am and had only like 165 on the shoulder at around 3pm. I took it in and put it in the oven at like 275 300 for 2-3 hours.  We wound up eating it 2 nights later and it was pretty fucking good. 

I might try the higher temps next time. I have to add some better guages to the smoker. The stock one sucks. 

You guys use briquettes or lump?

mattj -

I just did this for my first time in Mothers day and it was a bitch.  I bought a cheap smoker from walmart bc I didnt wanna spend too much on something I dont know that ill use too often.  

I was up at 5am and had only like 165 on the shoulder at around 3pm. I took it in and put it in the oven at like 275 300 for 2-3 hours.  We wound up eating it 2 nights later and it was pretty fucking good. 

I might try the higher temps next time. I have to add some better guages to the smoker. The stock one sucks. 

You guys use briquettes or lump?

Kingsford Blue Bag... Don't cheap out. They hold heat the best.

Then I add wood pieces I've cut up on top of coals. Phone Post 3.0

FETT_TFK_El Pescadero - 
FETT_TFK_El Pescadero -
TFK_figure8 - Truthfully, I got hung up on keeping my temp around 225 as well. Having talked with Pescy a bit he suggested going up around 275-300 range to do the cook faster and get the same results. This might fly in the face of what's conventional, but I've tried it and has just as good success with smoking. It cuts down on cook time quite a bit. Phone Post 3.0

Called high heat smoking... Way better IMO. 5-6hrs tops. I'll put it up against anyone's on the planet and hold my own. 

I even go 325-350... I don't use s temp gauge... 5lbs of coals on one side of grill, meat on grate above side with no coals, add some wood to your coals, cover... After 1 hr uncover quickly and spray with a beer... Cover again for another hour (flues wide open on top and bottom, never close bottom, regulate temp by closing top 1/4-1/2) then uncover, spray with beer and add 6-8 more coals. Cover and go 2 hrs, open spray with beer, add 6-8 more coals... Cover for final hour... Then put it in a aluminu tray and set in your oven (not turned on) ... Let rest for 45 then shred that juicy bitch up!

Enjoy Phone Post 3.0

That's probably what I'll end up doing. My only fear is not getting it done in time due to the large amount I'll have to do. There will be like 40 people at my house, and obviously I'm grilling other shit too, but I think people will be pissed if they're eating hot dogs while waiting for pulled pork. I may get up super early to start it, just in case. The tough part, though is that most of the shit you have to pay attention to are in the first hour or two, so it's not like I can start it at 3:00am then go to bed for a few hours.

FETT_TFK_El Pescadero - And fuck temp gauges, heart monitors and Apps to BBQ with... Doesn't do it for me. I've honestly never checked the temp on my Webber, I use a coal amount x lb of meat ratio... Nothing against anyone who uses them, it's just not for me. I hold my hand over the flue, if it's about 3 seconds before I have to pull away it's perfect temp, if it's quicker I close the flue on top a little, if it's not hot enough I open a little. So fucking east n fool proof.

People way over think Bbqn imho ... Relax, crack a beer, burn a Doob n make some food. People sweat the temp gauge like there life depended on it... Relax! Have fun. Phone Post 3.0
I agree, when I first started smoking I always looked foward to it, but by the end of cooking I was stressed out and tired. I could never relax during the process, I was always checking temp etc. Now i just try to get it going and occupy myself with other things for awhile. Doing for example pork shoulder, it's actually difficult to fuck that up. Plenty of fat to keep it juicy, just get it going, check things out every so often but just enjoy yourself. Phone Post 3.0

Rickmassmma -
FETT_TFK_El Pescadero - 
FETT_TFK_El Pescadero -
TFK_figure8 - Truthfully, I got hung up on keeping my temp around 225 as well. Having talked with Pescy a bit he suggested going up around 275-300 range to do the cook faster and get the same results. This might fly in the face of what's conventional, but I've tried it and has just as good success with smoking. It cuts down on cook time quite a bit. Phone Post 3.0

Called high heat smoking... Way better IMO. 5-6hrs tops. I'll put it up against anyone's on the planet and hold my own. 

I even go 325-350... I don't use s temp gauge... 5lbs of coals on one side of grill, meat on grate above side with no coals, add some wood to your coals, cover... After 1 hr uncover quickly and spray with a beer... Cover again for another hour (flues wide open on top and bottom, never close bottom, regulate temp by closing top 1/4-1/2) then uncover, spray with beer and add 6-8 more coals. Cover and go 2 hrs, open spray with beer, add 6-8 more coals... Cover for final hour... Then put it in a aluminu tray and set in your oven (not turned on) ... Let rest for 45 then shred that juicy bitch up!

Enjoy Phone Post 3.0

That's probably what I'll end up doing. My only fear is not getting it done in time due to the large amount I'll have to do. There will be like 40 people at my house, and obviously I'm grilling other shit too, but I think people will be pissed if they're eating hot dogs while waiting for pulled pork. I may get up super early to start it, just in case. The tough part, though is that most of the shit you have to pay attention to are in the first hour or two, so it's not like I can start it at 3:00am then go to bed for a few hours.
I have 4 webers for larger party's n catering gigs... See if you can borrow a grill from fren, or go buy a new weber, 100-150$ max... Makes it so easy.

You got this. The pork has to rest for a bit before you shred, cook webers and other things in that 45-60 min.

The glory will be yours !!! Phone Post 3.0

TFK_figure8 -
FETT_TFK_El Pescadero - And fuck temp gauges, heart monitors and Apps to BBQ with... Doesn't do it for me. I've honestly never checked the temp on my Webber, I use a coal amount x lb of meat ratio... Nothing against anyone who uses them, it's just not for me. I hold my hand over the flue, if it's about 3 seconds before I have to pull away it's perfect temp, if it's quicker I close the flue on top a little, if it's not hot enough I open a little. So fucking east n fool proof.

People way over think Bbqn imho ... Relax, crack a beer, burn a Doob n make some food. People sweat the temp gauge like there life depended on it... Relax! Have fun. Phone Post 3.0
I agree, when I first started smoking I always looked foward to it, but by the end of cooking I was stressed out and tired. I could never relax during the process, I was always checking temp etc. Now i just try to get it going and occupy myself with other things for awhile. Doing for example pork shoulder, it's actually difficult to fuck that up. Plenty of fat to keep it juicy, just get it going, check things out every so often but just enjoy yourself. Phone Post 3.0
VU 700 Phone Post 3.0

Sub for future bbqing Phone Post 3.0

ribz - Just make the pulled pork in a crockpot and make some pork ribs on the smoker. 4 to 5 hours for the ribs and you will be all set. Phone Post 3.0
VD and may God have mercy on your soul. Phone Post 3.0

TFK_Fanboy -
BMF12 -
ribz - Just make the pulled pork in a crockpot and make some pork ribs on the smoker. 4 to 5 hours for the ribs and you will be all set. Phone Post 3.0

I have no idea about most BBQ stuff but I'm listening to this guy solely based on his screen name.

you can't bbq in a crockpot

Lol VU Phone Post 3.0

12-15lbs is pretty big but not bad. Have another set of coal or wood ready to rock midway if you run outta steam. Like pesc said, you're overthinking it.

All in all, practice makes perfect so its easier said than done for us since you haven't done a big cook like this.

The problem is feeding 40 people. You will need to multitask. If I had to do that I'd use two grills. One for the pork and one for all the other shit like the chicken, beef, hotdogs, etc.

Reason being is if you got shit like that you will be opening your grill way too often and that will stall the shit outta that butt.

NiteProwleR - The problem is feeding 40 people. You will need to multitask. If I had to do that I'd use two grills. One for the pork and one for all the other shit like the chicken, beef, hotdogs, etc.

Reason being is if you got shit like that you will be opening your grill way too often and that will stall the shit outta that butt.

I'll be using 2 different ones. One with charcoal and wood for the pork, and a propane one for the burgers, hot dogs, chicken etc. I've fed similar numbers in the past, but not at noon. That's really my only issue. If I was cooking for this number later in the day, I'd try to leave myself 8 hours for the pork, just in case it stalls a bit...but in order to do that at noon, I'd have to get up way too early. I'm trying to have it smoked and pulled by noon, which doesn't leave much room for error.

Rickmassmma -
NiteProwleR - The problem is feeding 40 people. You will need to multitask. If I had to do that I'd use two grills. One for the pork and one for all the other shit like the chicken, beef, hotdogs, etc.

I'll be using 2 different ones. One with charcoal and wood for the pork, and a propane one for the burgers, hot dogs, chicken etc. I've fed similar numbers in the past, but not at noon. That's really my only issue. If I was cooking for this number later in the day, I'd try to leave myself 8 hours for the pork, just in case it stalls a bit...but in order to do that at noon, I'd have to get up way too early. I'm trying to have it smoked and pulled by noon, which doesn't leave much room for error.
No such thing as a stall with my method. Phone Post 3.0

Ya, I only encounter stalls with brisket myself but that is cause I go different with beef.

Pork butt(as mentioned before) is half gristle/marbling and doesn't have as much of that nasty connective tissue that brisket does so you can definitely go mid to high heat smoking and get great results. Its really hard to fuck it up unless you undercook it.

Lets get some pics of your success cause I think you got it.

This thread is amazing! Phone Post 3.0

Has anyone had any experience with the Primo Oval kamados? I was at a place that had one and it looked pretty nice. Curious how it stacks up against the BGE. Phone Post 3.0

I don't see the need to go slow with pork... I do the pork in my oven, shred it, mix it with sauce and heat back up.

Leave the smoking for ribs and briskett. Phone Post 3.0

FETT_TFK_El Pescadero -
TFK_Fanboy -
BMF12 -
ribz - Just make the pulled pork in a crockpot and make some pork ribs on the smoker. 4 to 5 hours for the ribs and you will be all set. Phone Post 3.0

I have no idea about most BBQ stuff but I'm listening to this guy solely based on his screen name.

you can't bbq in a crockpot

Lol VU Phone Post 3.0
I was kinda joking about the crockpot thing. I guess my point was that if you don't have time to do the pulled pork, then maybe concentrate on making something smaller and tasty that takes less time.

I didn't know you were cooking for 40 people, so trying to feed them all with ribs isn't really an option then. I would go with the pork shoulder but do it at a higher temp like suggested. Phone Post 3.0

Dysqo - I don't see the need to go slow with pork... I do the pork in my oven, shred it, mix it with sauce and heat back up.

Leave the smoking for ribs and briskett. Phone Post 3.0
I agree on the low and slow part, but the smoke ring and bark make a huge flavor impact imo. Phone Post 3.0