Question for older construction/manual work type guys

Well the Aussie version ha

1 Like

I’m in my 40s as a machinist. Been at it for about 12 years now. I mainly set up and run CNC machines. The most physical labor I do I guess is stay on my feet. Setting up or tooling a machine isn’t labor intensive. It’s more about know how after doing it for a long time. I can still do this for years, if I want to. I get paid well and left alone because I do a good job. As I get older I may do something else within the trade, like go work for tooling or one of the companies that make the machines in sales or something else. I know multiple guys who have retired or are still doing it in their 60s or 70s. If I worked in a shop that is not climate controlled and had to lug heavy stuff around I wouldn’t do this.

2 Likes

whats youre secret? I mean to feeling good after all that?

1 Like

I drink lots of beer when I finish, so I am kinda Mexican

4 Likes

Jesus christ youre from fucken Melbourne

SMH

1 Like

Nope, ha I forgot they call cunts from Melbourne, Mexican. Nah bro I’m a Perth boy, the Westside is the best side yo

No Problem Love GIF by Riot Society

1 Like

$18 schooies last time I partied there, before the ass fell out of iron ore

I’ve been hog farming close to 30 years off and on. Keep moving and eat lunch every day. You don’t have to do all the work. Make sure that you drink a gallon of water a day, if you’re working somewhere that doesn’t have AC.

2 Likes

How often are hog farmers working in AC?

Fuck, now you tell me.

1 Like

As long as you take care of your self and eat good you will hold up. Im mid 30s, farm kid worked hard my whole life. Started construction at 17, then went into the drilling field. Im in way better shape than most. My old man is 70 and acts like hes in his 50s. Last night i baled hay with my 88 year old grand father. It seems with the old guys they just keep going. They are a differnt breed. Im glad i have that in my blood. The one thing i noticed is they get stiff. I added yoga to my routine and stopped drinking. Lots of framers, masons, ect are drunks. They seem to be in shitty health. Learn from their mistakes.

3 Likes

In theory, every room is supposed to be climate controlled to 72 degrees with fans and a cool cell (something that drips water down a baffle). However, the realistic of the farrowing rooms when it’s ~90 degrees outside is closer to 85-87.

To answer directly, very little of the time is spent in something that would pass as air conditioning.

1 Like

Makes sense. The hogs/sheep/cows/midgets/horses don’t give a single fuck about what you think or how you feel. They still need fed, treated, cut, processed and otherwise cared for.

1 Like

good call on the booze. i mean, i ain’t stopping, but it’s a good idea anyway.

Today I am loading telephone poles on a trailer with a tractor on one end and unloading by hand at the house.

Should have found the driest ones …

2 Likes

Father Time is a motherfucker. Back issues, knee issues, elbow issues… all those can build over time. Gotta get to a point where You can work smarter and avoid the wear and tear, or make sure you got a young feller to do the lifting and bending.

2 Likes

My body isn’t holding up, and no, I don’t get used to it.

3 Likes

About to lose my office gig and probably going back to road construction

2 Likes

how old are ya? Road crews where I live seem to not work all that hard but then again it could be a case of confirmation bias IE I only notice the ones who arent working that hard

Oh yeah, I definitely feel my age, when I get home after a shower, my knees get sore

1 Like