Question for those that enforce the law

An interesting (to me anyway) argument is going on between some of my Facebook friends.

It is concerning this crosswalk

![](upload://24qRoU1kax8Kg4sEmddGUrijIHb.png)

Simple question, are you required to stop here.

Here are the two sides of the argument.

One side say that because there is not a stop sign or light there you are not required to stop unless there are pedestrians in the road (i.e you would not stop for someone waiting on the side of the road to cross)

Other side says because it is marked a crosswalk you have to stop regardless if there is a stop sign or not if you see someone waiting on the side of the road to cross.

Information that might be pertinent.

Speed limit is 45mph

the crosswalk is there for a hiking and bike trail so both pedestrians and riders use it.

So what do you guys think?

1 Like

The ones like that around here you only stop for pedestrians or people on bikes crossing.

They also light up and flash though

You don’t have to stop at an unsigned crosswalk and you only need to stop when the pedestrian is moving into the crosswalk. How I see it. I will stop when it’s safe to allow them to make their move. Pedestrians are required to move when it’s safe.

The sign means “yield to pedestrians”, right? So that means if there aren’t any pedestrians you don’t have to yield or stop. Seems pretty simple. Am I missing something?

1 Like
Charles Barkley -

They have the same set up at some of the local junior colleges around here. There’s no lights, just signs. My understanding is that you don’t have to stop but the pedestrians always have the right of way. 

Works this way in the UK too. You are not required to stop unless someone is on the crossing but it’s a common courtesy to stop if someone is waiting to cross.

OP is finally gonna take his road test?

![Good for you, Jack! - Album on Imgur](upload://r5yV76vHh9chHbFTpx3vS5LKauR.gif)

1 Like

Always stop for pedestrians in a crosswalk. Otherwise simply slow and go through. No stop sign there.

chepo77 - 

Always stop for pedestrians in a crosswalk. Otherwise simply slow and go through. No stop sign there.

Same way I see it.

![](upload://ptxXLRun3sCIG1swoNUhM4ZCVfc.jpeg)

From the NYS vehicle and traffic book.

Passive Jay -

An interesting (to me anyway) argument is going on between some of my Facebook friends.

One side say that because there is not a stop sign or light there you are not required to stop unless there are pedestrians in the road (i.e you would not stop for someone waiting on the side of the road to cross)

Other side says because it is marked a crosswalk you have to stop regardless if there is a stop sign or not if you see someone waiting on the side of the road to cross.

Speed limit is 45mph

the crosswalk is there for a hiking and bike trail so both pedestrians and riders use it.

If there is a person crossing and you hit them, it's their fault for not waiting for the car.

Cars always have the right of way bro.

MarcusAurelioFan -
Passive Jay -

Speed limit is 45mph

If there is a person crossing and you hit them, it's their fault for not waiting for the car.

Cars always have the right of way bro.

Listen to this man OP. You got this!

Passive Jay - 

Speed limit is 45mph

In places I live, if you fly through that crosswalk at the speed limit you would be pulled over. There is no way you can evaluate the area for pedestrians at that speed. Police like to see you react to the crosswalk, slow down, yield, and then go. Anything else could be argued to be reckless. 

Wow you're bored

1 Like

Illsa Whitmer, the She-Wolf of the Lansing SS says you better not be driving at all! 

You stop when there is a douchey mcdouchepants standing there. 

What drives me insane is when a traffic signal is working with a crosswalk function and traffic is flowing with the green light and someone walks up to the crosswalk, SOME drivers will stop and wave the walkers to cross.

Fucking idiots

mglaw - What drives me insane is when a traffic signal is working with a crosswalk function and traffic is flowing with the green light and someone walks up to the crosswalk, SOME drivers will stop and wave the walkers to cross.

Fucking idiots

this

Fucks up traffic and also puts pedestria s at risk , while also conditioning som peds to think they have right of way at a crosswalk even during a green light

I had a typical baby boomer power walking in the street , forcing cars to veer around themthey get to the crosswalk during a green light and they slow their pace to use the crosswalk and stop traffic

So many mid 50  to mid 60s couples in my suburban town have this entitled mentality about being pedestrians

If that pic was from here, there would likely be a flashing yellow light included on the pole over the road.

Meaning you need to slow down but not stop, unless there is a pedestrian then you need to stop.

In Limbo - 
mglaw - What drives me insane is when a traffic signal is working with a crosswalk function and traffic is flowing with the green light and someone walks up to the crosswalk, SOME drivers will stop and wave the walkers to cross.

Fucking idiots

this

Fucks up traffic and also puts pedestria s at risk , while also conditioning som peds to think they have right of way at a crosswalk even during a green light

I had a typical baby boomer power walking in the street , forcing cars to veer around themthey get to the crosswalk during a green light and they slow their pace to use the crosswalk and stop traffic

So many mid 50  to mid 60s couples in my suburban town have this entitled mentality about being pedestrians

Around here it is the college kids near the Universities that have that attitude. Some don’t even so much as glance either way, they just keep walking while staring down at their phone.

how is this even a question lulz