Question For You Guitar Guys-Fender Purple Haze

I made a deal with my kid that if she learned how to play her acoustic guitar I got her I’d buy her an electric guitar so she can learn to shred. 

Every time we go to the music store she picks up the same guitar. Today I phoned the music store to find out more about it. It’s called a  Jimi Hendrix Purple Haze. It’s some limited edition that Fender has put out. It’s made in Mexico according to the girl I talked to.

She said it’s a very good guitar and plays well. 

She’s the sales lady though so I thought I’d ask you guys. I know angryinch know a lot about guitars. 

Anyone have a review on this one?  You guys really helped with when I bought her her acoustic but there’s a lot of people not around these days. 

She really loves the guitar. It's her favourite shade of her favourite colour according to her.

Let's see here, a Mexican Fender Stratocaster. Made to honor Hendrix. 

Okay, I'm ready to render my verdict: it's good. I like what I'm hearing and fully recommend it.  

Is being Mexican made a thing in the guitar world?

Who cares about the opinions of some guys online? If your daughter truly only ever picks up that guitar to play then I think the decision is simple. Unless she's a collector I would suggest getting what feels best for her and it seems the choice has already been made. 

2 Likes

King Trav -

Hell if I know. 

Definitely a good guitar but you're paying almost double the price of a "regular" MIM strat

fedners come American, japanese, and Mexican made

being a new player, the differences btw the 3 types, all things equal, will not make a difference at all

fender is a good brand, and if she likes the guitar and your wallet is OK with it, go for it

MDAlex -

Who cares about the opinions of some guys online? If your daughter truly only ever picks up that guitar to play then I think the decision is simple. Unless she's a collector I would suggest getting what feels best for her and it seems the choice has already been made. 

I’ll likely get her the guitar.  

If it’s a piece of crap I’m going to let her know. She’s not an idiot. She’ll find a different purple guitar and fall in love with that one. This happens to be the one she can put her hands on and dream about right now.

This will be her second guitar. 

1 Like

King Trav -

Yes - at least in the Fender world - MIA, MIM, MIJ

Ghost Of Don Logan -

Definitely a good guitar but you're paying almost double the price of a "regular" MIM strat

i see the head is oriented the "opposite" hand

righty guitar has a head that is oriented as if a left handed guitar

but the body remains standard/regular

if they were going to go full jimi hendrix why didnt they flip the body around to make it look like a "lefty" guitar played by a righty and vice versa?

that's one thing that irks me about this model...they went half way with imitating jimi's guitar on the neck but not the body

Mexican strats are decent especially for a beginner. If it's in your price range and you know she likes it the I say get it.

In Limbo -

fedners come American, japanese, and Mexican made

being a new player, the differences btw the 3 types, all things equal, will not make a difference at all

fender is a good brand, and if she likes the guitar and your wallet is OK with it, go for it

The price was a bit of a POW at first. Ha. 

She doesn’t ask for much and has watched her sister do things like go to Cuba for wrestling without on me complaint or ask. Plus I made a deal with her and she’s holding up her end of the bargain. What kind of dad would I be if I welched?  She’d end up thinking it’s ok to date a welcher. 

I have money saved for a 3D printer I want. I’ll likely put off buying that to buy that guitar. I’m an sucker like that and my kids figured it out. 

If she has shown an interest, and it’s in your budget, a Mexican Strat is great. 

It looks cool and is probably limited supply, I’d snatch it up. She will always get compliments and comments on it. 

In Limbo -
Ghost Of Don Logan -

if they were going to go full jimi hendrix why didnt they flip the body around to make it look like a "lefty" guitar played by a righty and vice versa?

that's one thing that irks me about this model...they went half way with imitating jimi's guitar on the neck but not the body

I’ll point that out to her. I don’t think she cares about the jimi connection though. It’s the colour and look she likes. 

King Trav -

MEXICAN fenders aren't bad .I have a real cheap one that had a warped neck. Guitar world or something in Calgary fixed it and it plays great now. 

No reason not to get it if she likes it

Adding to my previous comment... If she doesnt know that the headstock is literally upsidedown from a normal headstock, you should probably make sure she understands that, and that it is a nod to Hendrix who played a right handed guitar upsidedown in a left handed position. She should probably understand why her guitar is different even though she doesnt know much about hendrix.

In Limbo - 
Ghost Of Don Logan -

They didn't flip the body because it screws up the ergonomics of the guitar. Controls under your arm,

reduced upper fret access, etc. 

The reason they just flipped the neck and the bridge pickup is that duplicates the string tension and

pickup response of playing a righty guitar flipped over. If they flipped the body they would sell far

fewer guitars.

Personally, higher tension on the high e string when bending and thinner bass response from the bridge pickup reversal isn't my cup of tone, but some like it.

Cool looking guitar, I dig the finish.