Question on 50/50 guard IBJJF rules

I competed in the Montreal Pro tournament this weekend which follows the IBJJF rule set.  In my match, I pulled guard and ended up in the 50/50 position with my opponent.  With 25 seconds left in the match, I knocked my opponent onto his butt, stood all the way up to my feet, and was standing directly over him with our legs still in the 50/50 position.  His non-50/50 leg was up around my shoulder area and his feet were not crossed.  I stood in this position for nearly 15 seconds while the match ended.

I was not awareded either a sweep, or an advantage, for this position.  The referee (an IBJJF official and a Toronto-area black belt) told me that the new rules are such that you do not get an advantage OR sweep points until you move your opponent's leg out of the 50/50 position.  That is, I would have had to move his foot all the way over my hip toward my crotch in order to get my points.  He said this is a new rule for 2014.

Can anyone confirm this to be true?  We did not seem to find a single other person to confirm this, and did not see it called this way the entire tournament.  The rule book says nothing regarding any 'special' rules for getting sweep points from the 50/50.  All it says is that a sweep must start from the guard and that you must maintain your position for three seconds.

I am looking for clarification so that I know what to do moving forward.  The result of the match (a loss for me) is the least of my concerns; more than anything, I want to know what I need to do for future tournaments if there are some special rules for sweeping someone from 50/50.

Thanks!

My instructor went to the rules seminar last month... I think they said the "new" rules don't start til Pans... Phone Post 3.0

I heard something about this BUT regardless. That tournament should have done a better job informing the competitors. Phone Post 3.0

Ad pro is not even the ibjjf, they use their rules with some modifications. Ref shouldn't be making those decisions for himself Phone Post 3.0

Website says they use the IBJJF rule set:

http://www.worldpromontreal.com/index.php/tournament-info/rules

Who was the ref?

Tony Isaacs.  He said that his rationale for the ruling was based on a 'private conversation he had with the head IBJJF official who indicated this was the way to call the position'.

How can you compete in a tournament when rule changes are made based on private conversations off the record and not written in a rulebook?  It was ridiculous.

From what I understand you have to be out of 50/50 to be awarded the points Phone Post 3.0

Piet Wilhelm - From what I understand you have to be out of 50/50 to be awarded the points Phone Post 3.0

This is going to lead to so much stalling by the bottom guy.

I think you got screwed. Sounds like it should have been two. Maybe you never stabalized on top? You wouldnt be the first to lose over a bad call.

This rule has been mentioned at the rules meetings since the euros in Jan, but hasn't gone "live" yet.

So, you were screwed. Phone Post 3.0

Piet Wilhelm - From what I understand you have to be out of 50/50 to be awarded the points Phone Post 3.0

So what exactly defines the point at which I am out of the 50/50?  Do I have to move his leg over, or can I move mine instead (into a leg drag position)?

I'm thinking next time I will come up on top and then just start jerking my like and donkey kicking him in the chest until he lets go.  That's gotta be worth something.

thebigkahuna - I think you got screwed. Sounds like it should have been two. Maybe you never stabalized on top? You wouldnt be the first to lose over a bad call.

Nah, I came up on top and stood over him for at least 15-18 seconds.  I had his right sleeve in my left hand and was pushing down on his 50/50 leg with my right hand.  Even if that were the case, that wasn't the explanation that I was given (that I hadn't established top position). 

Does anyone know if this rule will be in effect at the Pans?

You should have mentioned it was Tony in your initial post, he does not know how to ref.

the should award points for getting out of the 50 50.

As others have mentioned, this is the new rule, but it is not officially in effect yet.

knee smash - You should have mentioned it was Tony in your initial post, he does not know how to ref.

Honestly, he is.  He made at least a dozen other mistakes that day and I've seen him make poor calls at numerous other tournaments as well.  Trouble is, he referees at literally every tournament in Canada that I have ever been to.  It's like playing Russian Roulette; you just sit and pray that your bracket doesn't get sent to his mat.

Steve72 - 

As others have mentioned, this is the new rule, but it is not officially in effect yet.

Then my next question is... how is it possible to get an advantage in the 50/50 position?

If I only get the sweep points once we are out of 50/50... should I have received an advantage for getting all the way to that point but not being able to get my leg out of 50/50?  If we were in half guard, for instance, I would get an advantage for almost getting on top but not quite getting there before being put back down to the bottom position.

Or, is it just impossible now to get an advantage once you are in the 50/50?  It's either a sweep or it's nothing.