Question on the palm to palm RNC...

The non choke arm is behind their back and I bicep curl it as I squeeze the V against the neck.

King Trav - My question is how do you finish the squeeze?

With the lion killer style of RNC, I find that I finish most often and with the least amount of effort when I push my elbows together while applying the choke.

When I goto my palm to palm style of attack, I find myself driving my "non-choking" arm behind their back until my elbow is in line with their spine. Like I'm trying to force my elbows together. I have to work quite a bit harder to finish this style.

Am I applying the proper leverage in this case? I've never really looked too hard into this style of RNC, because I've always preferred the lion killer (who doesn't), but I find myself delving deeper into techniques that I don't use as often these last few months. Phone Post 3.0

First make sure your grip is not deep. Putting the bend of your choking arm under their chin and over their chest like a traditional RNC is not the correct way to finish. Your wrist should be on their neck. The "shorter" the grip feels the better. You can always adjust it to make the grip deeper, but bringing it back past that while your opponent defends is difficult. This choke crushes their throat, it is not a blood choke.

Now think of the arm that is across the neck as a place holder. It doesn't finish the choke. All you have to do is keep it their firmly. Even if your opponent grabs with both hands on the wrist across his neck it does not matter.

Now your second arm joins the other in a palm on palm grip. Use a gable grip where all five fingers are next to each other on each hand. Taking your thumb out of the grip is a mistake and can allow your opponent to open your grip just enough to survive pulling on your arm. It also prevents you from pinching your arms to the extent required to finish the choke.

Your second arm should be placed down your opponents back. I say down because the elbow of your second arm should be pointing down. Pinching your elbows together is recommended because the distance between the elbow of the choking arm and the arm behind his back should be a little less than 90 degrees preferably. DO NOT pinch the elbow of the choking arm to the extent that it causes the wrist to bend. The wrist of your choking arm needs to be flat or arched back slightly, not curled. The majority of the pinching should be done by the arm resting on your opponent's back.

Now the finish. Imagine that both of your arms are a car jack. When you use a car jack, you push down one "arm" of the jack and as a result the other "arm" of the car jack is able to lift up the car. Your arms will do the same thing. Drive the elbow of the arm on his back down and into his back. This motion will pull back the choking arm with out you having to actually move the choking arm back yourself (remember when I said it is merely a place holder?).

You will then crush your opponent's throat and if he doesn't tap you will break/crush his larynx (ask me how I know). Overall the move should require less energy than a RNC and the tap should be quicker. It is an excellent choke to use when your arms are fatigued. If you ever get the privilege of being "lined up" by a high level black belt, who is good at taking and finishing from the back, you may see them switch to this variation once their arms tire from RNCing 10-15 guys.

Oh yea FRAT alert

For those that posted, do you prefer to put the instep of the foot on the top of the hips, or use the pressure from your shins?

I also forgot to mention that pressuring them backwards to what would be a "flat back" works wonders also. I hit this more if I have also caught an "arm in" scenario too Phone Post

2 things
1 elbow behind the back can flare out to push choking forearm into the neck
2 use the top of your head to push their head into the choke to finish more easily Phone Post