Questions about getting knocked out

So I had my first backyard MMA fight today (I know probably not the best idea)and I was completely beasting my opponent and I was on my way to a victory then BOOM, all of a sudden he lands a high kick and knocks me out cold.

From what my friends say, I was out for about 5-10 seconds. I got up and 5 minutes later I beg for another fight (also wasn't a good idea)even though I TKOed my next opponent pretty easily I was still dazed.

Anyways on to the questions:

1.)Should I go and get it checked out? Nothing seems different besides a sore jaw but i'm a little worried.

2.)How many concussions does it take to start experiencing some sort of brain damage?

3.)Lastly how long should I wait before getting back into sparring?

Serious answers would be greatly appreciated. I'm 18 btw and this is my first serious knock out.

Stop fighting in the backyard dude.. Seriously dangerous Phone Post

IDOHARM - 

1) probably a good idea to get your head checked anytime you take an unexpected nap

2) severity of a concussion differs. Could be anywhere from minor brain swelling to a hairline skull fracture.

3) find out if you have a concussion and the doctor will fill in the rest. Phone Post

thanks for the response. I probably will get this checked out soon. Just wanted to get some opinions from people who've experienced this.

1. dont fight in the backyard dumbass
    2. if you do keep your hands up so you dont get kicked in the face dumbass
    3. if you do fight in the backyard and you do get knocked out dont fight again... dumbass...

but seriously...

1. if you dont die in your sleep tonight your fine for now

2. probably just one good one

3. until youve had proper training, and in a proper environment. if you got ko'd like that in an MMA state sanctioned fight you would be on a medical suspension from at least 30 to 90 days

You sound like a badass.

Dazednconfused - 

Stop fighting in the backyard dude.. Seriously dangerous Phone Post

Yea I know. This will probably be the last time. I really want to start a career in MMA but I don't have time due to college and this seemed like a good learning experience.

I've been training for 4 years now and I was confident I was going to take this guy out but man what an eye opener.

grandchampion - 1. dont fight in the backyard dumbass
2. if you do keep your hands up so you dont get kicked in the face dumbass
3. if you do fight in the backyard and you do get knocked out dont fight again... dumbass...

but seriously...

1. if you dont die in your sleep tonight your fine for now

2. probably just one good one

3. until youve had proper training, and in a proper environment. if you got ko'd like that in an MMA state sanctioned fight you would be on a medical suspension from at least 30 to 90 days

Thanks for the imput. Definitely not gonna do any backyard fighting anymore.

jyt -
Dazednconfused -  Stop fighting in the backyard dude.. Seriously dangerous Phone Post

Yea I know. This will probably be the last time. I really want to start a career in MMA but I don't have time due to college and this seemed like a good learning experience.

I've been training for 4 years now and I was confident I was going to take this guy out but man what an eye opener.

Well now that you've learned how to get knocked out, stop being an idiot and get to a gym and train. Then get a legitimate MMA fight. You and your damn friends killing each other in someone's backyard makes us look bad. Kids... And go get your goddamn head looked at! What the hell is wrong with you? Phone Post

Well thank you for contributing to the downfall of the sport. Phone Post

I've KOd plenty of friends and been KOd once (same scenario as yours, I was winning and woke up on the ground)

These guys bitching about backyard fighting or saying to get checked out are high! Nobody I've ever KOd had been checked out and they're all alive and well.

I did get into a brutal fight with a guy once, and brutally KTFO of him, and gave him a concussion (he kept randomly passing out the rest of the night, so I hear). In that case yea get checked out, but getting KOd for 5 secs is nothing. Phone Post

I trained at AKA for 4 years. I've sparred with professional fighters before and I was just asked to take a fight "just for fun"

We didn't plan to go all out just simply hard sparring(we had head gear and everything)Like I said I thought this would be a pretty good learning experience considering the only contact fighting i've ever done was light sparring in the gym.

If I get a hold of the video I would surely post it but as of now I have no idea if anyone even recorded it.

IDOHARM -
sunnyko - I've KOd plenty of friends and been KOd once (same scenario as yours, I was winning and woke up on the ground)

These guys bitching about backyard fighting or saying to get checked out are high! Nobody I've ever KOd had been checked out and they're all alive and well.

I did get into a brutal fight with a guy once, and brutally KTFO of him, and gave him a concussion (he kept randomly passing out the rest of the night, so I hear). In that case yea get checked out, but getting KOd for 5 secs is nothing. Phone Post

Worst advice ever. "Don't get your head checked, unless you're passing out" is a terrible modus operandi. I fractured my skull and didn't pass out at all. Shit happens, and everybody reacts differently. Phone Post

Probably right, if medical was free... But in the real world I live in, it cost a pretty penny for docs. I'm not saying don't go but at least make sure you have more symptoms, unless of coarse you're made of money. Phone Post

IDOHARM - 
sunnyko - I've KOd plenty of friends and been KOd once (same scenario as yours, I was winning and woke up on the ground)

Worst advice ever. "Don't get your head checked, unless you're passing out" is a terrible modus operandi. I fractured my skull and didn't pass out at all. Shit happens, and everybody reacts differently. Phone Post

Well right now all I have is a few chipped teeth and a sore jaw. Definitely will get it checked out tomorrow though.

puppet - 

How do you train at aka for 4 years and get head kicked by your buddy in the backyard? Phone Post

We both have been training. Not sure how much experience hes had but definitely a lot more than the average person.

My girlfriend (sorry guys, no pics - she's like totally a Swedish princess so there lawyers involved and stuff) wanted me to tell you that reading your post made her wet. Inbox me if you want her number. Phone Post

IDOHARM -
sunnyko -
IDOHARM -

Probably right, if medical was free... But in the real world I live in, it cost a pretty penny for docs. I'm not saying don't go but at least make sure you have more symptoms, unless of coarse you're made of money. Phone Post

I guess you and I are from two different worlds. Free healthcare in Canada, but I can see why you'd be hesitant to spend money unless you felt you were in danger. Phone Post

That'd definitely have an effect on the decision to get it checked out. Phone Post

jyt -
Dazednconfused -  Stop fighting in the backyard dude.. Seriously dangerous Phone Post

Lol @ eye OPENER Phone Post

We use to have backyard fights all the time. Mma and boxing. Just don't sleep for a while you will be fine. If you get headaches go get it checked. Jaw may hurt for a while so take it easy. Phone Post

jyt - I trained at AKA for 4 years. I've sparred with professional fighters before and I was just asked to take a fight "just for fun"

We didn't plan to go all out just simply hard sparring(we had head gear and everything)Like I said I thought this would be a pretty good learning experience considering the only contact fighting i've ever done was light sparring in the gym.

If I get a hold of the video I would surely post it but as of now I have no idea if anyone even recorded it.

A Comprehensive Glossary Of Gifs / gifs glossary

^^ Awesome haha! Phone Post