questions for army fighters

I've been training in BJJ and mma for the last year or so and am interested in doing some amateur fights in the future. I'm in the Army however and was unsure about current policies regarding fighting. How does the Army view figthing while on active duty, w/ insurance and medical. I can't imagine them being thrilled about the idea so do I need to keep my fighting quiet and not tell anyone or what. But if they don't mind, is there any backing or funding the Army will give if you represent them? Thanks

It really depends upon the unit you are assigned to and the chain of command's attitude toward NHB/MMA.

That being said, most that I know of are pretty accepting, and if the fighter is really good then he is bringing a positive image to the unit and the Army.

One of the guys I train with is a veteran of a few NHB matches and has to do them all under the table because the army does not like the liability and medical issues associated with fighting in NHB. However, much like anything else, I would think that so long as you do it on your time and it does not affect how you perform as a soldier no one in your unit would have a problem with it and like whatever said, it should bring a positive image to the unit when you do well.

What the army do not know cant hurt them

Well even pogue units that im in support MMA....my CO wanted to bring the entire company out with COLORS to support me...but we got deployed instead :( so no fight no fan club

The Army Supports Soldiers fighting MMA. Pancrase style rules are in the FM. That does not mean that isolated commanders will not make bad decisions, but it does mean they are wrong. This is a message put out by the Chief of Staff of the Army:

"From: ou:DCS G3(uc),ou:COLLECTIVE TRAINING(uc)
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 5:20 PM
Subject: COMBATIVES TRAINING

To: CDR ALL MACOMS
CAR WASHINGTON DC
DARNG WASHINGTON DC
REFERENCES
A. ARMY TRAINING AND LEADER DEVELOPMENT CONFERENCE, 27-28 JUL 04
B. FM 3-25.150, COMBATIVES, JAN 02
C. FM 7-0, TRAINING THE FORCE, OCT O2
D. FM 7-1, BATTLE FOCUSED TRAINING, SEPT 03
E. AR 350-1, TRAINING, APR 03

1. DURING THE ARMY TRAINING AND LEADER DEVELOPMENT CONFERENCE IN JUL 04 THE
    CHIEF OF STAFF OF THE ARMY STATED HE WANTED COMBATIVES TRAINING TO BE
    CONDUCTED IN IMT BASE AND IN UNITS. THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO
    PROMULGATE THE CSA'S GUIDANCE AND TO STRESS THE IMPORTANCE OF COMBATIVES
    TRAINING TO OUR ARMY.

2. THE CSA'S INTENT IS FOR EVERY SOLDIER TO EXPERIENCE THE PHYSICAL AND
    EMOTIONAL DEMANDS OF HAND-TO-HAND FIGHTING PRIOR TO ENGAGING IN COMBAT.
    COMBATIVES TRAINING IS AN IMPORTANT COMPONENT OF THE WARRIOR ETHOS. THE
    PURPOSE OF COMBATIVES TRAINING IS TO INSTILL CONFIDENCE AND FIGHTING SKILL
    THAT CAN ONLY BE GAINED THROUGH ENGAGEMENT WITH AN OPPONENT IN A COMBATIVE
    SITUATION. HAND-TO-HAND COMBAT TRAINING IS A FUNDAMENTAL BUILDING BLOCK FOR
    PREPARING OUR SOLDIERS FOR CURRENT AND FUTURE OPERATIONS. SOLDIERS MUST BE
    PREPARED TO USE DIFFERENT LEVELS OF PHYSICAL FORCE ACROSS THE OPERATIONAL
    SPECTRUM IN AN UNCERTAIN ENVIRONMENT. COMBATIVES TRAINING WILL PROVIDE THIS
    CRITICAL CAPABILITY.

3. FIELD MANUAL 3-25.150, COMBATIVES, JAN 02, PROVIDES DETAILS ON HOW TO
    CONDUCT SAFE AND EFFECTIVE COMBATIVES TRAINING. COMBATIVES TRAINING WILL BE
    CONDUCTED REGULARLY, POSTED ON UNIT TRAINING SCHEDULES, AND EXECUTED AT
    COMPANY OR PLATOON LEVEL. ADDRESSEES ARE REQUESTED TO REVIEW THEIR CURRENT
    PHYSICAL FITNESS PROGRAMS AND INTEGRATE COMBATIVES BASED ON METL.

4. POC HQDA (DAMO-TRL): MR. RONALD SCHEXNAYDER
    (RONALD.SCHEXNAYDER@HQDA.ARMY.MIL), DSN 224-9701 OR COM (703)614-9701. POC
    TRADOC/USAPFS: (usapfs@benning.army.mil) DSN (835)6380 OR COM (706)545-6380

BUFORD C. BLOUNT, III MG, ASST G-3"

rakofsky,

For what it's worth, I'm a commander and I back MMA 100%. I've never had any serious injuries fighting but I get guys hurt playing B-Ball all the time. So I would think if you have trouble with your CO run the statistics and you will be gold.

SFC Larsen...
Is that a MILPER message? If so could I get the number so I can print a copy and slap the cry-babies with it here in Ft. Sill? Thanks...

DrillSergeant"C"

MILPER messages com from PERSCOM.
This was from the HQDA to all of the MACOMs including PERSCOM. So basicly it is an order from the Chief of Staff of the Army to all of the four stars.

My national guard unit always had a positive attitude towards my fighting goals. If I had a fight on a drill weekend, I was alwayd given the time off. Generaly, considering that fighting is a sort of physical and manly endeavor, the army usualy doesn't have any problem with it.

Anyone know how the 82nd generally feels about MMA?

Um...What is an Article 13?

ZekeMoodyDrifter

Their is an ART 13, but I would bet what your buddy got was an Art. 15: Commanding Officer's non-judicial punishment. He would only have been subject to an Art 13 if he were pending other UCMJ action. In the case of sunburn, he could have been subject to an Art. 91 (disobeying a lawful order) if his chain of command had addressed the circumstance in which his sunburn happened. There is also Art 134, which is the general article, pretty much if you can’t find a specific art to hit someone with it falls under Art 134. A good way to tell is; if your buddy only got extra duty and restriction it most likely was an Art. 15. Below is a link to the UCMJ Manual

http://www.jag.navy.mil/documents/mcm2000.pdf

Ted...
That's what I was getting at. Sunburn?...lemme guess...punished for "destroying/damaging government propertry" I hate when that happens.

DSC

I figured as much, Art 13 is a rare one. Unfortunately I've gotten pretty familiar with the UCMJ process. I’ve had to read more than I care to, even worse; I’ve had to stand in on a number of Field Grade’s and one court martial. I wish people would behave.

OK Dude...let's look at this... You wrote

"Article 13, UCMJ. Fairly common in military discipline cases.

Article 13-Punishment Prohibited Before Trial

Subject to section 857 of this title (Article 57), no person, while being held for trial or as the result of trial, may be subjected to punishment or penalty other than arrest or confinement upon the charges pending against him, nor shall the arrest or confinement imposed upon him be any more rigorous than the circumstances required to ensure his presence, but he may be subjected to minor punishment during that period for infractions of discipline.

The minor punishment permitted under Article 13 includes that authorized for violations of discipline required by the place of confinement. The article does not prevent a person from being required to do ordinary cleaning or policing or from taking part in routine training and duties not involving the bearing of arms."

You seem to have took the time to look it up...YEAH!!!
Ted, a Commander in the Army got you straight in a nice way letting you know you were confused, which you replied to with.....

"yeah, you could be right (15). i've been out a few years. he didn't go to court. but he had to appear in front of the CO, state his case, take his punishment, and sign an affidavit (?) in indcating his agreeement to the sipulations detailed."

He could be right? Come on dude...He is a subject matter expert.

The Bad Sunburn / Damage to government property charge...I've been hearing that one since I was a private. The stories that you hear in the crapper aren't always true. How long were you in? Were you really in? Nobody likes a poser...

LOL, and you call yourself Sergeant! What are Articles 4? How about 9? and 12?

Recite these articles, the NCO creed and give us the 82nd Airborne Song to the beat of "Bohemien Rhapsody" by Queen. Then! Then, we MIGHT believe.

DS "C"

Does the kid who killed him self by throwing a buffer out of the second floor bay with the cord around his neck urban legend still floating around? I’ve been hearing that one for almost ten years now.

Yea I know, I had to go their.

Yeah...that is a popular one that gets told in reception.
Add that to the "I have asthma"..."I'm an only child"..."I'm comming out of the closet" crys for attention to get sent home. These are popular here in the ATC. For permanent party though, the Article 15 for sunburn/damage to government property is close to the top of the list. OOphs...I stand corrected...Article 13. I'm still working on being a better "Sergeant".

DS"C"

LOL,