https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/stellar-quinoa-burgerIngredients

1 small sweet potato
    6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
    1 portobello mushroom
    ½ small zucchini
    1 small shallot, finely chopped
    ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1 cup cooked quinoa (from about ½ uncooked)
    ¾ cup dried breadcrumbs
    1½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    4 English muffins, split, toasted
    Guacamole, tomato chutney, and sprouts (for serving; optional)
Recipe Preparation
    Preheat oven to 350°. Prick sweet potato all over with a fork; rub with 1 Tbsp. oil, then season with salt and pepper. Roast directly on oven rack until tender, 30–45 minutes. Let cool. Remove and discard skin; mash flesh with a fork. Set aside.
    Remove stem from mushroom; discard. Pulse cap in a food processor until finely chopped. Coarsely grate zucchini on the large holes of a box grater; gather up in a kitchen towel and squeeze out excess liquid.
    Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a medium skillet over low. Cook shallot and red pepper flakes, stirring often, until shallot is soft, about 2 minutes. Add mushroom and zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to release their liquid but have not taken on any color, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; mix in quinoa and season with salt and pepper. Let cool.
    Add breadcrumbs, lemon juice, and about ¼ cup reserved mashed sweet potato to quinoa mixture and mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed. If mixture is too loose, add more sweet potato to bind.
    Divide mixture into 4 portions and form into patties, pressing firmly together with your hands. Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a medium skillet over medium and cook 2 patties until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side; season with salt and pepper. Repeat with remaining 2 Tbsp. oil and 2 patties.
    Build burgers with patties, toasted English muffins, guacamole, tomato chutney, and sprouts.
    Do Ahead: Patties can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and chill.

The above veggie burger is delicious.

I like to serve it over greens rather than a bun, topped with avacado and "lemon dijon tartar sauce" from the Cinnamopn Snail cookbook.

I make the burgers in a biscuit cutter so they are more in the shape of a crab cake. Sometimes I add shredded tempeh or finely chopped sauteed collared greens. Occaionally a little old bay in there.

I make them in batches and freeze them for late night dinners, and stick them in my ZojiRushi (I forget what OGer recommended it, but thank you, it was a game changer)

Here is the recipe for the tartar:For the tartar sauce
2 Tbs. coconut oil
5 garlic cloves, chopped
1 small sour pickle, chopped
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried oregano
Juice of 1 lemon
1 Tbs. mirin
1 Tbs. umeboshi plum vinegar
2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
1 Tbs. agave nectar
4 oz. soft tofu
1 minced scallion, green and white parts, plus more for garnish
1 Tbs. grated lemon zest1. Make the tartar sauce: Melt the coconut oil in a sauté pan set over medium heat. Sauté the garlic, pickle, thyme, and oregano in the hot oil for about 3 minutes, until the garlic turns golden. Turn off the heat and stir in the lemon juice, mirin, plum vinegar, mustard, and agave nectar.

2. Scrape the contents of the pan into a blender. Crumble the tofu into the blender and blend at high speed for 40 seconds, until a mostly smooth puree is formed. Pulse in the scallion and lemon zest until just combined. Chill for at least 1 hour, or up to 3 days in an airtight container.

You don't have to use the wierdo vinegar, sherry vinegar and apple cider vinegar work great.

Big quinoa fan. While nothing compares to a big pile of perfectly-cooked white rice absorbing your favorite sugar-filled sauce, quinoa is a great healthy alternative. Trader Joe’s sells it frozen which is a bit more expensive but very easy

Quinoa taco meat!

1 cup uncooked quinoa

Cook the quinoa. (I like to make it in the instant pot, fast and perfect every time)

Mix with 1-2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast, a can of chunky salsa, and some taco seasoning (or a mix of cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper).

Spread on a parchment lined sheet, and bake at 375 for 20 minutes.

Thank me later.

Sounds pretty good. Gonna give it a try with potato rolls as I prefer them to english muffins for any type of burger or sandwich but who gives a shit right.

Started eating quinoa almost everyday as part of my effort to live healthy and get to 12% bodyfat. Love how versatile it is and that it is a complete protein, easy to store and cook. Picked up like $70 worth like a month ago instead of having my wife buy it weekly for no reason.

Easters - 

Big quinoa fan. While nothing compares to a big pile of perfectly-cooked white rice absorbing your favorite sugar-filled sauce, quinoa is a great healthy alternative. Trader Joe’s sells it frozen which is a bit more expensive but very easy

The frozen is pretty good, but you are right, it is a bit expensive. Minute rice makes boil in a bag quinoa, which is good too.

I like to use the instant pot.

1.5 cups of water per cup of quinoa

1 minute on high pressure, 10 minutesof natural release.

Perfect every time.

Instant Pot Vegan Quinoa Burrito Bowls
Prep Time
5 mins
Cook Time
20 mins
Total Time
25 mins

These Instant Pot Vegan Quinoa Burrito Bowls are an easy and healthy make-ahead meal loaded with fiber and protein.
Course: Main Course
Servings: 4
Calories: 163 kcal
Author: Detoxinista.com

Ingredients

1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 red onion , diced
    1 bell pepper , diced
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 cup quinoa , rinsed well
    1 cup prepared salsa
    1 cup water
    1 1/2 cups cooked black beans , or 1 (15 oz.) can, drained and rinsed
    Optional toppings: Avocado , guacamole, fresh cilantro, green onions, salsa, lime wedges, shredded lettuce

Instructions

Heat the oil in the bottom of the Instant Pot, using the "saute" setting. Saute the onions and peppers until start to soften, about 5 to 8 minutes, then add in cumin and salt and saute another minute. Turn of the Instant Pot for a moment.

Add in the quinoa, salsa, water, and beans, then seal the lid, making sure that the switch at the top is flipped from venting to sealing. Press the "rice" button, or manually cook at low pressure for 12 minutes. Let the pressure naturally release once the cooking is over, to make sure the quinoa completely absorbs the liquid. (This takes 10 to 15 minutes.)

Remove the lid, being careful to avoid any steam releasing from the pot, and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Serve warm, with any toppings you love, such as avocado, diced onions, salsa, and shredded lettuce.

Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. You can quickly reheat on the stove top, or serve cold!

https://detoxinista.com/instant-pot-vegan-quinoa-burrito-bowls/

Sub

Quinoa is good. I like to make it at home as a rice alternative. 

Chocolate Quinoa Protein Energy Bars

3/4 cup dry quinoa, or about 2 cups cooked
        1/2 cup dates, pitted
        3 tablespoons agave nectar
        2 tablespoons vegetable oil
        2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
        1/2 teaspoon almond extract
        1/4 teaspoon salt
        1/2 cup protein powder (I used an unsweetened hemp-based version)
        1/2 cup whole wheat flour
        1/2 cup stir-ins like dry fruit, nuts, shredded coconut, or vegan chocolate chips. (I went for half chocolate chips and half coconut)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 8×8 baking dish lightly with baking spray.

Rinse the dry quinoa in cold water, then let sit in a bowl of water for 10 minutes.  In the meantime, bring 1 cup of water to boil.  Drain the quinoa and add to the boiling water.  Cover, and reduce heat to simmer for about 12 minutes.  Let cool enough to handle.

In the bowl of a food processor, combine the cooked quinoa, dates, agave nectar, vegetable oil, flaxseed, almond extract, and salt.  Process until relatively smooth (the quinoa is so small it stays slightly lumpy).

In a small bowl, stir together the protein powder, flour, and stir-ins.  Fold this dry mixture into wet mixture with a spatula.  The dough is very thick, like cookie dough, so use the spatula to press into prepared pan evenly.

Bake for about 22-25 minutes, until firm.  Let cool, then slice into a dozen bars.  Store in an airtight container for up to a week, or freeze for up to 3 months.

Nutrition facts (with chocolate chip and coconut option): Calories: 184, Total Fat: 5.4 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Cholesterol: 0 g, Sodium: 37 mg,  Potassium: 113 mg, Total Carbs: 29 g, Fiber: 3 g, : Sugars: 16 g, Protein: 7.3 g.

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/quinoa-protein-energy-bars/

I don't know anything about Quinoa. Should I swap out my brown rice for quinoa for meal prep?

We started substituting quinoa for rice in our burrito bowls. Seasoned ground beef cooked in a cast iron skillet, black beans, quinoa, fresh guacamole and salsa. Yum.

ChokeHisAss -

I don't know anything about Quinoa. Should I swap out my brown rice for quinoa for meal prep?

It definitely wouldn’t hurt.  Higher proftein and lower glycemic.  I? also prefer the taste

Quinoa Pizza Crust

Makes: One 9-inch pizza crust
Serves: 2

Ingredients:
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1/4 cup water, plus more for soaking quinoa
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
cooking spray

Step 1: Place the quinoa in a small bowl and cover it with water. Let the quinoa soak overnight or for at least 8 hours. Drain and thoroughly rinse the quinoa (this will prevent any bitterness in the crust). Place the quinoa, 1/4 cup water, baking powder, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Process until a smooth batter is formed, about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the food processor as necessary.Step 2: Line an 8 or 9-inch round cake pan with parchment paper (it may help to spray the pan with cooking spray first, so that the parchment sticks), and then spray the parchment paper with cooking spray. Pour the batter into the pan and smooth with a rubber spatula.

Step 3: Bake the crust for 15 minutes at 425°F. Remove the parchment paper from under the crust.Step 4: Flip the crust over and return to the oven for 5-10 more minutes, or until golden and the edges are crispy.Step 5: Remove from the oven and add sauce, cheese, and toppings of your choice. I topped mine with 1/4 cup low-sodium pizza sauce, 2 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, and a handful of fresh basil leaves. Return to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melty.

I hated quinoa up until last month when I had no choice but to try it again at a clients xmas party dinner. I dont know how they cooked it but it was excellent.

ABCTT_TFK_Mr.Smiff - I hated quinoa up until last month when I had no choice but to try it again at a clients xmas party dinner. I dont know how they cooked it but it was excellent.

You have to rinse it really well before cooking.

It is coated in saponin which is bitter and tastes like soap.

Rinse it well before cooking and enjoy.

Quinoa is really delicious if cooked right...

I don't like the red as much though...

MarsMan - 

In for outrage.

Why outrage? the carbs?