Quran read on senate floor - Senator calls it out

Shouldn't separation of church and state include the concept of separation of church and state?

http://www.wdel.com/news/lawson-called-islamophobic-after-he-called-quran-reading-on-the/article_9bacf142-1acb-11e7-98f9-9f4153a4fa01.html

Lawson called 'Islamophobic' after he called Quran reading on the Senate floor 'despicable'

State Sen. Dave Lawson (R-Marydel) is the first state lawmaker to propose reforms after the Vaughn prison uprising.

A reading from the Quran as the opening prayer for a Delaware state Senate session drew a sharp rebuke from a Republican lawmaker, who said the Muslim holy book calls for the death of Americans.

Two representatives from the Tarbiyah Mosque in Newark were invited to Wednesday's session to deliver the prayer, beginning with a chant in Arabic before a reading a prayer in English that was based on a Quranic verse but deleted references to Allah.

Republican senators Dave Lawson and Colin Bonini walked out of the chamber before the prayer was given.

Lawson then rose afterward to speak, calling what happened "despicable."

Democratic President Pro Tem David McBride later took Lawson to task, saying he was personally offended that the Muslim guests would not feel welcomed.

"Two representatives from the Tarbiyah Mosque in Newark were invited to Wednesday's session to deliver the prayer, beginning with a chant in Arabic before a reading a prayer in English that was based on a Quranic verse but deleted references to Allah."

Why in 2017 would any religious prayers or affectations be employed in a government meeting / process?

Really, regardless of the religion. Keep it separate. It's the entire idea of "separation of church and state."

The shit below happened in Canada at a school board meeting. I don't think the guy was arrested. 

In

I'm not American but does the US not have freedom of religion???? It's a pretty basic human right in most western nations. 

Im gonna go out on a limb and guess the bible has been read there a few times. 

The Quran has no place in America.

Soul Gravy - The Quran has no place in America.

So no freedom of religion then.

K

Separation of mosque and state is racist, duh.

^us has separation of church and state.

it's actually not a basic 'right' in most western countries, it's just that most countries don't have laws to persecute religion. unless of course you are in a sharia law country. also, you should the see the irony of supporting the reading of the quran in government and saying 'western' country.

so the demo had the right to bring in the speaker if there was no legislation or regulation preventing it, and the repub had the right to protest under free speech i believe.

im_MLT - 

K

For Christians and others, sure.

For Muslims, no.

Soul Gravy - 
im_MLT - 

K

For Muslims, no.

You have no place in America.

8=D~

Pedro Navaja -
Soul Gravy - 
im_MLT - 

K

For Muslims, no.

You don't even live here. So shut the fuck up

Pedro Navaja - 
Soul Gravy - 
im_MLT - 

K

For Muslims, no.

Oh? LOL

Blatent pandering to the Muslim demographic. Screw off with that nonsense.

Freedom and religion don't belong in the same sentence. "Freedom of religion" lol stfu

BispingDecisionedDesperateDansDreams - 

I agree with you about separation of church and state.  However, you do realize that both the US House and Senate have official chaplains and that there is an opening prayer every day in both houses, right?

http://chaplain.house.gov/

(Copied from brochure at link above.)

OPENING PRAYER
The primary duty of the Chaplain of the House is to offer a prayer at the commencement of each day’s sitting of the House, as called for in the Rules of the House of Representatives.

PASTORAL SERVICES
The Chaplain offers a ministry of presence to all members of the House community. He serves   Members and their families as well as congressional staff with spiritual care and counsel, prayer services,  discussion events, and other activities.   Additionally, the Office of the Chaplain maintains the   Congressional Prayer Room located near the Rotunda  in the heart of the U.S. Capitol. Established in 1954   solely for Members of the House and Senate, the room  is used for their communal and private prayer, study, and reflection.

https://www.senate.gov/reference/office/chaplain.htm

Duties of the Senate Chaplain

In addition to opening the Senate each day in prayer, Chaplain Black’s duties include counseling and spiritual care for the Senators, their families and their staffs, a combined constituency of six thousand people. Chaplain Black’s days are filled with meeting Senators about spiritual and moral issues, assisting Senators’ staffs with research on theological and biblical questions, teaching Senate Bible study groups, encouraging such groups as the weekly Senate Prayer Breakfast, and facilitating discussion and reflection small groups among Senators and staff.

"I agree with you about separation of church and state. However, you do realize that both the US House and Senate have official chaplains and that there is an opening prayer every day in both houses, right?"

Yes, I do realize that. Which is why I posted the following in my follow up post to the OP:

"Why in 2017 would any religious prayers or affectations be employed in a government meeting / process?

Really, regardless of the religion. Keep it separate. It's the entire idea of "separation of church and state."

Soul Gravy -
im_MLT - 

K

For Muslims, no.

Thomas Jefferson thinks you're an ignorant piece of shit.

https://www.loc.gov/loc/lcib/0205/tolerance.html

1. I give absolutely no shits what Thomas Jefferson would think of me. He couldn't stop my double leg, so as far as I'm concerned, he can sit down and shut up.

2. Thomas Jefferson would have thrown out ALL the Muslims by now. Don't pretend you have some moral high ground by hiding behind the Founding Fathers. They'd have recognized a sect wholly incompatible with American values and absolutely hostile to their intentions for this country and they'd have dealt with them accordingly. The Founding Fathers did not believe in "freedom" to the point of stupidity.

3. But please, feel free to tell us how the Founding Fathers would have welcomed a murderous and oppressive religion into their country.

Soul Gravy - 
im_MLT - 

K

For Muslims, no.

Why is this so difficult for some to understand?

People have the right to religious practice, but those practices are not to have any place in government.

Go to your church, mosque, synagogue, etc. and practice your faith. You can do so without ever having to worry about the government influencing your practice.

Don't bring religious artifact into official government proceedings.

Keep it separate.

Soul Gravy -
Soul Gravy -
im_MLT - 

K

For Muslims, no.

Thomas Jefferson thinks you're an ignorant piece of shit.

https://www.loc.gov/loc/lcib/0205/tolerance.html

1. I give absolutely no shits what Thomas Jefferson would think of me. He couldn't stop my double leg, so as far as I'm concerned, he can sit down and shut up.

2. Thomas Jefferson would have thrown out ALL the Muslims by now. Don't pretend you have some moral high ground by hiding behind the Founding Fathers. They'd have recognized a sect wholly incompatible with American values and absolutely hostile to their intentions for this country and they'd have dealt with them accordingly. The Founding Fathers did not believe in "freedom" to the point of stupidity.

3. But please, feel free to tell us how the Founding Fathers would have welcomed a murderous and oppressive religion into their country.