R/C Helicopters are Hard to Fly. Anyone in Hobby?

Finally broke into hobby. Went and bought a cheap-ass $30 toy, heli-copter. (Found another at X-mas for $12 promo at a store, but haven't opened).
I read instructions, charged and tried to fly. Holy crap, it won't stay in air for more than 5 seconds without crashing. It seems no matter how I try to control height, yaw or whatever those terms are - it just crashes. It definitely builds resilience. I took it out for a second time this afternoon with similar bad luck.
Now I know why so many kids stop playing with them after like 2 attempts. One needs great resilience to even learn.
Any help appreciated.

I'm pretty good at flying them. Its fun to chase the cats with and the kids love trying to shoot it down with nerf guns.

DosAnjos#1fan - I'm pretty good at flying them. Its fun to chase the cats with and the kids love trying to shoot it down with nerf guns.

How do you get better? What I am finding is that helicopter is completely out of control from get go. Inside, if I get propellers turning, it goes straight into ceiling, no slow lift lol

HotSteppa - 
DosAnjos#1fan - I'm pretty good at flying them. Its fun to chase the cats with and the kids love trying to shoot it down with nerf guns.

How do you get better? What I am finding is that helicopter is completely out of control from get go. Inside, if I get propellers turning, it goes straight into ceiling, no slow lift lol

Ease up on the throttle.

Practice just trying to hover in place about a foot off the ground.

^^ I'm trying. Sometimes the throttle is in the middle/neutral and it still flies smack into the ceiling. I'll figure it out I guess.
Looks like a fun hobby. Cant wait to graduate to thousands of dollar gas models!

I have been into quadcopters lately. So pretty similar.

Id say right off the main problem is that is just a cheap toy. Now Im sure an experienced pilot can make it look like it can still fly well and has control, but its because the experience and not the actual toy.

When I started i bought a $60 "toy grade" quad at Walmart or Canadian tire. Was virtually impossible to fly. Even though I did nothing but crash it I still wanted more, so I went to an actual specialty shop and bought like a $55 "hobby Grade" level quad and it was like night and day. This was a few bucks cheaper than the toy one but actually was able to fly properly. Had trim controls and just seemed like an overall better product.

Still hard as fuck to fly but at least now I can see what to work on, and now can fly decently.

I actually had bought an AR Parrot drone first, and that was cool but pretty much auto pilot...all the sensors make it too easy, so that is why I grabbed the cheapo toy one in the first place, to actually learn to fly with...

HotSteppa - ^^ I'm trying. Sometimes the throttle is in the middle/neutral and it still flies smack into the ceiling. I'll figure it out I guess.
Looks like a fun hobby. Cant wait to graduate to thousands of dollar gas models!

Sounds like you might just have a lemon.

This is one of those hobbies where the gear can totally make a difference.

https://imgur.com/a/nlX6Q

Help from a blue please.

The charge wears off quick so it's nice to have a spare. Still getting use to the quad.

The Xwing fighter is a pain in the ass.

Macleod - I have been into quadcopters lately. So pretty similar.

Id say right off the main problem is that is just a cheap toy. Now Im sure an experienced pilot can make it look like it can still fly well and has control, but its because the experience and not the actual toy.

When I started i bought a $60 "toy grade" quad at Walmart or Canadian tire. Was virtually impossible to fly. Even though I did nothing but crash it I still wanted more, so I went to an actual specialty shop and bought like a $55 "hobby Grade" level quad and it was like night and day. This was a few bucks cheaper than the toy one but actually was able to fly properly. Had trim controls and just seemed like an overall better product.

Still hard as fuck to fly but at least now I can see what to work on, and now can fly decently.

I actually had bought an AR Parrot drone first, and that was cool but pretty much auto pilot...all the sensors make it too easy, so that is why I grabbed the cheapo toy one in the first place, to actually learn to fly with...

Yeah, it's probably the product isn't as precise. But I've seen videos of people flying the same model online pretty good. I guess I will keep practice and break open the other one too. 

Yeah, been flying off and on for 20 years. Have a few now... A Rush 750 and a few others. I fly VBar and Castle HV speed controller. All on 12S.

Also, HeliFreak and RunRyder are great online RC Heli resources.

Are RC helicopters going the way of the dodo now that quad-copters/drones are so popular?

JitsuGuy - Yeah, been flying off and on for 20 years. Have a few now... A Rush 750 and a few others. I fly VBar and Castle HV speed controller. All on 12S.

I googled those. I wants!

billyball2 - Are RC helicopters going the way of the dodo now that quad-copters/drones are so popular?

Nope, different devices. Helis are way harder to fly from what I've read. 

You need to pay up to get a chopper that works...

Used to fly the gas powered helicopters. Yup, about $1,000 to get into it and that was the cheap stuff. The only flying assist was a gyro to help control the tail.

Hard to fly, you needed eagle eyes, and tuning the engine was a real pain. That and this rotors were dangerous; don't let them touch you when spinning.

To take off you need to give it some extra power then you need to let off once it gets about 4 foot off the ground. Can't remember the phenomena but there is a name for it.

Only was to learn is fly it as much as possible. And get the gas asap - so cool to fly it with all the exhaust and noise. Phone Post 3.0

Ground effect. Phone Post 3.0