R.I. P. 10 Minute ROUNDS...

Man, I guess it is official. With its acquisition, Pride will no longer have the 10 minute rounds. I really liked them b/c the first round of MMA can be so explosive, and you want enough time to see things happen. RIP 10 minute rounds...

The japanese fans will boycott pride

^^^ I Hope not.

Probably not for that reason alone as all the other MMA orgs use 5 minute rounds. But it's definitely sad. The 10 minute round was a great idea.

We are heading towards unified rules in our sport. But one door closes, another opens.

The simple fact is that we are the only sport with radically differing rules, and that can't last for ever.

"The 10 minute round fucking sucked anyway, it fucks the judging. It was tailored to fixed decisions and I'm glad to see it go."

Yes, because the 10 point must system is perfect for MMA. /sarcasm

Prides judging criteria was more tailored for MMA than the UFC 10 point must system.

That's not all we're losing. They're basically going to turn Pride's rules completely into the UFC's rules. No more soccer kicks or knees to a downed opponent, hello elbows to the head. Completely changes the fight. If I wanted that I'd watch the UFC. Fucking faggot should have kept things the way they were.

CFL v NFL  33% diffent in amount of downs!

and longer field, with an additional player, and a funny ball!

MMA is dead.

Long live MMA!

the fight should go until someone wins...decisively and a judges decision is not decisive

KO, TKO, Ref stop or last man standing. Still have stands up for inactivity and rounds but the fight should go until someone is defeated or is so gassed they cant even stand

Very disappointing.

I imagine Dana thinks his 'superior' business skills will make fans, more importantly the huge Japanese fanbase, forget about wrecking their event..

The 10 minute rounds, the approach to judging (when consistent and 'by the book), taking away strikes - I'll be impressed if Zuffa don't avoid this plane crash.

"Yes, it is. Unless you want to get rid of time limits, which is impossible at this point.

Definitely better than the "Let's just hand the decision to whoever the fuck we want" system."

LOL @ think the 10 point must system is even close to the best system.

You lost all credibility with that post.

Unified rules will likely increase the fan base though--its a good move. I believe Zuffa wants to reintroduce knees as well.

interest in western boxing has been on the rise in asia for several years. tell all the inji chin fans out there that they shouldn't like to watch his fights because they're scored on a 10-point must system.

disapointed

I like the 10 minute round, for some reason

"The simple fact is that we are the only sport with radically differing rules, and that can't last for ever."

I have to disagree. It was a Japanese event and as we all know there is a huge difference in what is accepted, appreciated, etc. If they had any plans of keeping it MAINLY in Japan like it originally had been then there is absolutely zero reason for them to do this.

On the otherhand, if they're going to be running just about nothing other than Pride USA events it makes perfect sense. Either way, the Japanese, and true Pride fans world wide are getting fucked over on this one. Many of my friends who I talk to outside of the internet are disappointed in the UFC's purchase because THIS is exactly what we feared. Hopefully T.Jay says fuck the system and continues putting on his awesome events with his rules.

My anger and disappointment on this subject is so fucking hard to contain.

"interest in western boxing has been on the rise in asia for several years. tell all the inji chin fans out there that they shouldn't like to watch his fights because they're scored on a 10-point must system."

10 point must system is fine for a boxing match that is 12 rounds long but for a 3-5 round MMA FIGHT it doesnt really fit well as a judging criteria.

why not?

29-28 is still a victory. where's the problem? most of the disagreement i see has to do with how to ascribe points to different techniques, with most of the people who don't like it being upset about takedowns scoring points.

well, i just watched pride shockwave 2004 the other day, and someone won one a close round based on takedowns, so that's not exactly a problem with the 10 point must system- it's disagreement on what the value of a takedown is.

give me a good argument. i'm open to hearing it.

"I believe Zuffa wants to reintroduce knees as well."

Good luck getting that past the NSAC, etc.

"interest in western boxing has been on the rise in asia for several years."

And kickboxing, muay thai, etc has been on the rise here in america over the past years.

"tell all the inji chin fans out there that they shouldn't like to watch his fights because they're scored on a 10-point must system."

They're not Inji Chin fanse cause of a 10 point must system. But, if you were to change the rules that people are used to seeing fighters compete under, it would definitely agitate a few people. Like when K-1 introduced their no clinch rule a while back. Some like it, some don't. I just think that this is a greedy thing to do and hate that Japan and Pride fans world wide are going to lose one of the greatest sports entertainment events in history.