R.I.P. Reggie White

HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. (AP) -- Reggie White, one of the greatest defensive players in NFL history, died Sunday, his wife said. He was 43.

Today our beloved husband, father and friend passed away,'' White's wife, Sara, said in a statement through a family pastor.His family appreciates your thoughts and prayers as we mourn the loss of Reggie White. We want to thank you in advance for honoring our privacy.''

A cause of death was not immediately known.

A two-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year, White played a total of 15 years with Philadelphia, Green Bay and Carolina. He retired in 2000 as the NFL's all-time leader in sacks with 198. The mark has since been passed by Bruce Smith.

We are deeply saddened by the passing of one of the greatest men ever to play the game of football,'' Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie said in a statement.On behalf of the entire Eagles family, our condolences go out to his wife, Sara, to his children, and to all those who have been touched by Reggie throughout his life. His legacy on and off the football field will never be forgotten.''

yeah i just read this afternoon RIP Reggie was and STILL DA MAN

Sad day in Eagle Country.....

Rip....Reggie is a true warrior...

Yeah, I'm like RyanWilcox, I loaded ESPN to check the scores when I saw the article, couldn't believe it

RIP 92.

Sad day indeed.He was still young.

only 43 years young, what a shame. RIP

RIP Reggie.

It was quite a shock when I saw it on TV. I remember watching Reggie toss huge tackles with one arm. He was the best D lineman I ever saw.

The only thing that matched his achievements on the field was his character off the field.

RIP to the greatest defensive lineman to grace the game.

Was at the game when they gave the announcement.

I heard some speculation regarding the circumstances of his death, but has anyone heard the cause of death?

RIP to the greatest defensive lineman to grace the game.

That is just a great way to put it. Reggie had grace, in every sense of the word.

RIP

I have a sinking suspicsion that Steroids is going to be involved with this case. Its just not normal for a 43 year old Athlete to die in his sleep.

RIP, Reggie.

Didn't Sleep apnia have something to do with his death?