R.I.P Train Judo

Long time UG member paying respects to one of the greatest personalities that's posted on this forum.

RIP Quincy

RIP. Respect.

RIP

RIP

He's been on this site since the beginning Phone Post 3.0

I was a Gomez guy and trained with Quincy sporadically but he did have a huge impact on the way I viewed grappling. I can still remember vividly some of the classes he taught and seeing people go flying. I hope he knows what kind of impact he had on people. Phone Post 3.0

Philanderer - 
Kirik - 

UGer Quincy Rice died yesterday, October 11, 2016. He was just 41 years old.

Q leaves behind a beautiful, loving daughter and grandchild, and long-term partner. Quincy found faith in God before he passed and now rests in peace.

There never was a funnier, brighter, more passionate presence on The UnderGround. Since the late 90s, Q took exuberant delight online in explaining to the world that all you need is Judo, amusing the bright, confounding the confused, and turning no small number of people onto The Gentle Way. His presence on the UG warmed it and illuminated it for some 17 years; the UG Judo forum will hereafter bear his name.

A 4th-degree black belt under Judo master Walter Lamb, Q had over 20 years of training in the martial arts. His background included high school and college Folkystyle, Freestyle, Greco-Roman, Sambo, Muay Thai, western boxing, submission wrestling, and even BJJ, to supplement his tremendous Judo base.

He taught at the University of Michigan, the Gomez Academy, Metro Fight Club, and Combat Sports and Fitness, before founding Jackson MMA, in Jackson, Michigan. Jackson MMA‘s Team Spartan ended up with an extraordinary 95% win rate.

Quincy fought exclusively as an amateur and a pro for Becky Levi's DangerZone. In his pro debut, he beat one of the guys I helped train. It was painful after all the trash talk back and forth, but above all, Quincy Rice could back up what he said.

Levi was a highly-respected, honest, decent promoter, and when Rice got into promoting his amateur Prison City Fight League, he carried on that tradition. That was one of the things Quincy did - he took the best he found and brought it forward.

Rice's reputation was such that he was flown into New Jersey for a grappling superfight with the great Ricardo Almeida. He returned to a NAGA another year, and we all went out to watch a UFC at a bar in Manhattan. Afterwards, he and friends successfully defended themselves on the mean streets of New York against a large cross dresser. That is not something that happens every day, but that's how Quincy was - when he was around, life was memorable.

The enormously unsuccessful cross-dressing mugger episode happened well after 1:00 am, and then we headed back to the hotel in Jersey. At about 5:00 am or so, Q got up, got himself in a sauna to make weight, and competed all day. I marvelled at his toughness, but Q was so tough, he didn't even notice how tough he was.

In a sport overflowing with egos, Quincy Rice was humble, putting his team and friends first, a testament both to the character-building nature of Judo properly applied, and to Quincy Rice's good nature and good soul. Did you ever hear the story of the fighter who tapped out so he wouldn't hurt an overwhelmed opponent? That was Quincy Rice student Mike Pantangco, and it was not a coincidence that he trained at Jackson MMA. Quincy Rice made good people. There is no higher calling.

Quincy Rice was ferociously tough yet emotional, enormously talented yet humble, enjoyed no privileges in this life yet sought to give. He was a beautiful guy and he will be missed far beyond my small powers to express.

GoFundMe has been set up to help defray Rice's funeral expenses. Q was not a wealthy man, so even the most modest contribution is deeply appreciated. URL is https://www.gofundme.com/quincy-rice-funeral-expensis-2trf4q4

RIP, Quincy Rice.

Was it Almeida, or did you mean Rodrigo Gracie?

Thank you, yah, it was Rodrigo. Long time ago. 

Ricardo was Din Thomas. They got crossed in my memory.

Crush Crawfish - When I moved MI I dropped in on one of Quincy's classes just to get some work in and mostly see what the hell this Train Judo guy was all about. I told him I'd just moved up and didn't have a job yet but that I'd be back when I was settled in. He said "That's no reason to not be training, come in anytime and just pay up when you can." Fast forward several months, things aren't going as planned in my personal life, to be honest it might've been the loneliest and most confusing time of my life but I always felt welcome at the gym. I never even told any of the guys what I was going through because I felt so comfortable in the gym that I didn't want to muddy it up. And the biggest reason was Quincy telling me not to worry about anything outside the gym, just come in and train.

Anyway, I never told told him how much it meant to me at the time and I hate that, so I just wanted to tell you guys.

No homo.

wow

VTFU and thanks for sharing that story

Very sad RIP. Best wishes to those closest. Phone Post 3.0

My younger brother moved up to Ann Arbor (we are from central IL) around 2000 or so. He always liked to work out and I pointed him to Quincy. I barely knew Quincy, but thought he was a cool guy.

Several years later (2004) my brother committed suicide. One day I got an email from Quincy expressing his condolences. Not even sure how he found out because my brother had moved to Stl a couple years before and only trained with Quincy a couple months. I didn't know Quincy really and hadn't talked to him at a show for probably five years and never talked to him again. But that's the kind of guy he was. Phone Post 3.0

So sad.

Sad news. RIP TJ.

MartialArtsMixed - Train Judo 4 lyfe

Rest on peace Quincy Phone Post 3.0
In Phone Post 3.0

It's a sad day to see my coach, friend and mentor pass. I remember i started training with Q back in 2008 at Combat Sports and Fitness. He was in my corner for multiple mma fights, judo tournaments, grappling tournaments. He was hilarious but often misunderstood. I know he was fighting demons and it's sad to see someone as kindhearted and loyal pass on.  I hadn't seen him in a few years but I wouldn't be the person I am today without Q. He is one of the very few people who believed in me. I owe him a lot. Til' Valhallah Q

Crush Crawfish - When I moved MI I dropped in on one of Quincy's classes just to get some work in and mostly see what the hell this Train Judo guy was all about. I told him I'd just moved up and didn't have a job yet but that I'd be back when I was settled in. He said "That's no reason to not be training, come in anytime and just pay up when you can." Fast forward several months, things aren't going as planned in my personal life, to be honest it might've been the loneliest and most confusing time of my life but I always felt welcome at the gym. I never even told any of the guys what I was going through because I felt so comfortable in the gym that I didn't want to muddy it up. And the biggest reason was Quincy telling me not to worry about anything outside the gym, just come in and train.

Anyway, I never told told him how much it meant to me at the time and I hate that, so I just wanted to tell you guys.

No homo.

I remember you brother.

Wow. R.I.P. Phone Post 3.0

Rest in Peace Quincy Rice. Guys like you made this place great. Phone Post 3.0

Logging in just to say Rest in peace. Jesus tap dancing Christ, that pic of TJ with ArtV just breaks my god damn heart. Has anyone said how he passed yet? I always assume the worst (suicide) in situations where someone this young dies, but I'm really hoping to be wrong about that. Just wow. Rest in peace brother, rest in peace.

Fuck. I was gone for most of the week and one of my son's teammates committed suicide on Monday.

This has officially been one of the worst weeks ever.

I met Quincy a few times over the years and he was always nice. I had the opportunity to watch him compete at the Judo tournaments throughout Michigan and at Michigan State.

The good ones always seem to go too soon, but have an incredible impact on the lives of others.

RIP, brother! Phone Post 3.0

Crooklyn -
solidsnake - 

I was sorting through photos last night and found this one from about 6 years ago. Train Judo in center with the late Art Vandaley wearing a Rick Flair shirt. Train Judo and crew opened up their gym to us thanks to communication on the UG and taught over two hours of leg locks for free that day. RIP dudes. 

I remember Art calling me after this. he was so excited about training with Quincy. He went back several times, too.

Those guys were both so awesome. Phone Post 3.0

Rip loved his jokes and flaming of KKM. Phone Post 3.0