R.I.P Train Judo

Loved his posts. May he rest in peace Phone Post 3.0

Quincy was somewhat of a mythical figure when I started training Jiu Jitsu. In fact, I competed against him in one of my first jiu jitsu tournaments. I trained with him briefly after college when he had a school in the downriver area. Funny guy and always welcoming.

As you can see by how many posts are in this thread, he will be missed.

Let me quote one of his Judo for jackasses videos...

"You can see the butt flopper is laying on his back and I say, "get up bitch!". He doesn't get up. Again I say, "Get up bitch!" He still doesn't get up.................. I win."

Bummer. sad. RIP. Phone Post 3.0

Never met the man, but loved his posts and loved his videos. Was a funny guy. RIP Phone Post 3.0

RIP

RIP Quincy.

Condolences to the family.

Terrible news.

RIP, missed his presence on here after he ceased posting. Seemed like a really cool guy.

I TTT'd a bunch of old threads about him or with him on it...

Will miss you buddy.

RIP

Joe Rogan - RIP. He seemed like a really funny dude. I used to really enjoy his posts. Phone Post 3.0

Q was hilarious.

RIP

UGer Quincy Rice died yesterday, October 11, 2016. He was just 41 years old.

Q leaves behind a beautiful, loving daughter and grandchild, and long-term partner. Quincy found faith in God before he passed and now rests in peace.

There never was a funnier, brighter, more passionate presence on The UnderGround. Since the late 90s, Q took exuberant delight online in explaining to the world that all you need is Judo, amusing the bright, confounding the confused, and turning no small number of people onto The Gentle Way. His presence on the UG warmed it and illuminated it for some 17 years; the UG Judo forum will hereafter bear his name.

A 4th-degree black belt under Judo master Walter Lamb, Q had over 20 years of training in the martial arts. His background included high school and college Folkystyle, Freestyle, Greco-Roman, Sambo, Muay Thai, western boxing, submission wrestling, and even BJJ, to supplement his tremendous Judo base.

He taught at the University of Michigan, the Gomez Academy, Metro Fight Club, and Combat Sports and Fitness, before founding Jackson MMA, in Jackson, Michigan. Jackson MMA‘s Team Spartan ended up with an extraordinary 95% win rate.

Quincy fought exclusively as an amateur and a pro for Becky Levi's DangerZone. In his pro debut, he beat one of the guys I helped train. It was painful after all the trash talk back and forth, but above all, Quincy Rice could back up what he said.

Levi was a highly-respected, honest, decent promoter, and when Rice got into promoting his amateur Prison City Fight League, he carried on that tradition. That was one of the things Quincy did - he took the best he found and brought it forward.

Rice's reputation was such that he was flown into New Jersey for a grappling superfight with the great Ricardo Almeida. He returned to a NAGA another year, and we all went out to watch a UFC at a bar in Manhattan. Afterwards, he and friends successfully defended themselves on the mean streets of New York against a large cross dresser. That is not something that happens every day, but that's how Quincy was - when he was around, life was memorable.

The enormously unsuccessful cross-dressing mugger episode happened well after 1:00 am, and then we headed back to the hotel in Jersey. At about 5:00 am or so, Q got up, got himself in a sauna to make weight, and competed all day. I marvelled at his toughness, but Q was so tough, he didn't even notice how tough he was.

In a sport overflowing with egos, Quincy Rice was humble, putting his team and friends first, a testament both to the character-building nature of Judo properly applied, and to Quincy Rice's good nature and good soul. Did you ever hear the story of the fighter who tapped out so he wouldn't hurt an overwhelmed opponent? That was Quincy Rice student Mike Pantangco, and it was not a coincidence that he trained at Jackson MMA. Quincy Rice made good people. There is no higher calling.

Quincy Rice was ferociously tough yet emotional, enormously talented yet humble, enjoyed no privileges in this life yet sought to give. He was a beautiful guy and he will be missed far beyond my small powers to express.

GoFundMe has been set up to help defray Rice's funeral expenses. Q was not a wealthy man, so even the most modest contribution is deeply appreciated. URL is https://www.gofundme.com/quincy-rice-funeral-expensis-2trf4q4

Damn this really sucks. He was such a memorable poster. RIP Quincy

I'm stunned... RIP Q!

That's a nice write up Kirik.  I know you get some grief on the news page, but you got that one right.  

I bought him some chew once and sent it to him. haha.

I don't even know why I just told you that but it's true.

RIP

Damn ... RIP Phone Post 3.0

Rip Phone Post 3.0

Hey guys...

I just got an email from Quincy's brother thanking everyone for the kind words and for honoring Q with the Judo Ground.

I fixed his account so he can log on and thank everyone.

RIP

RIP Phone Post 3.0