R.I.P Train Judo

My younger brother moved up to Ann Arbor (we are from central IL) around 2000 or so. He always liked to work out and I pointed him to Quincy. I barely knew Quincy, but thought he was a cool guy.

Several years later (2004) my brother committed suicide. One day I got an email from Quincy expressing his condolences. Not even sure how he found out because my brother had moved to Stl a couple years before and only trained with Quincy a couple months. I didn't know Quincy really and hadn't talked to him at a show for probably five years and never talked to him again. But that's the kind of guy he was. Phone Post 3.0

So sad.

Sad news. RIP TJ.

MartialArtsMixed - Train Judo 4 lyfe

Rest on peace Quincy Phone Post 3.0
In Phone Post 3.0

It's a sad day to see my coach, friend and mentor pass. I remember i started training with Q back in 2008 at Combat Sports and Fitness. He was in my corner for multiple mma fights, judo tournaments, grappling tournaments. He was hilarious but often misunderstood. I know he was fighting demons and it's sad to see someone as kindhearted and loyal pass on.  I hadn't seen him in a few years but I wouldn't be the person I am today without Q. He is one of the very few people who believed in me. I owe him a lot. Til' Valhallah Q

Crush Crawfish - When I moved MI I dropped in on one of Quincy's classes just to get some work in and mostly see what the hell this Train Judo guy was all about. I told him I'd just moved up and didn't have a job yet but that I'd be back when I was settled in. He said "That's no reason to not be training, come in anytime and just pay up when you can." Fast forward several months, things aren't going as planned in my personal life, to be honest it might've been the loneliest and most confusing time of my life but I always felt welcome at the gym. I never even told any of the guys what I was going through because I felt so comfortable in the gym that I didn't want to muddy it up. And the biggest reason was Quincy telling me not to worry about anything outside the gym, just come in and train.

Anyway, I never told told him how much it meant to me at the time and I hate that, so I just wanted to tell you guys.

No homo.

I remember you brother.

Wow. R.I.P. Phone Post 3.0

Rest in Peace Quincy Rice. Guys like you made this place great. Phone Post 3.0

Logging in just to say Rest in peace. Jesus tap dancing Christ, that pic of TJ with ArtV just breaks my god damn heart. Has anyone said how he passed yet? I always assume the worst (suicide) in situations where someone this young dies, but I'm really hoping to be wrong about that. Just wow. Rest in peace brother, rest in peace.

Fuck. I was gone for most of the week and one of my son's teammates committed suicide on Monday.

This has officially been one of the worst weeks ever.

I met Quincy a few times over the years and he was always nice. I had the opportunity to watch him compete at the Judo tournaments throughout Michigan and at Michigan State.

The good ones always seem to go too soon, but have an incredible impact on the lives of others.

RIP, brother! Phone Post 3.0

Crooklyn -
solidsnake - 

I was sorting through photos last night and found this one from about 6 years ago. Train Judo in center with the late Art Vandaley wearing a Rick Flair shirt. Train Judo and crew opened up their gym to us thanks to communication on the UG and taught over two hours of leg locks for free that day. RIP dudes. 

I remember Art calling me after this. he was so excited about training with Quincy. He went back several times, too.

Those guys were both so awesome. Phone Post 3.0

Rip loved his jokes and flaming of KKM. Phone Post 3.0

2JupitersTooMany -
Crooklyn -
solidsnake - 

I was sorting through photos last night and found this one from about 6 years ago. Train Judo in center with the late Art Vandaley wearing a Rick Flair shirt. Train Judo and crew opened up their gym to us thanks to communication on the UG and taught over two hours of leg locks for free that day. RIP dudes. 

I remember Art calling me after this. he was so excited about training with Quincy. He went back several times, too.

Who was Art? Phone Post 3.0

Please share more stories.

This year sucks

B3LI3VE -
2JupitersTooMany -
Crooklyn -
solidsnake - 

Art V was a long m-time member who was a fixture on the site. Great guy who had issues with depression. Very sad, and he is missed. Phone Post 3.0

B3LI3VE - 
2JupitersTooMany -
Crooklyn -
solidsnake - 

There is a pro wrestling subforum on this site.  It is named after/dedicated to Art:

Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling

No way... RIP Phone Post 3.0

So another fact about Quincy. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I met Quincy in 1999. At the Gomez Academy in MI we had the following guys train often: Dave Knaggs, Dave Gardner, D., Garcia, Jason Ireland and a bunch of other tough SOB's.

I was just starting out but Quincy was always giving me pointers, esp. with leg attacks. And back then, we did all kids of subs on each other. There was no federation rules, gi vs no-gi, or funky guards. He was the first guy I had met that incorporated sambo, bjj, judo, wrestling into his game.

So now in 2016, I tell my students that my liking of leg attacks started back then and Quincy was a big help. He would show up looking like he just left the bar, chew in his mouth. Walk in, change and start shark tanks. Puke for 3min. and go back at it. Like I said before, a straight up guy who said what he felt. Good times at the Gomez academy and in the basement of the hardware store on Packard in Ann Arbor.

RIP to one of this board's founding fathers.

solidsnake - 

LOL what are you doing Dave?  Like half hugging yourself half "Word to your mother".  Mike looks like he just got done locking another hooker down his basement.