R1NG BJJ?

Apparently this is a new team, anyone familiar with it?

It seems to be Tinguinha, Gordo, Soca, Gustavo Machado and a few other “names” many their students. Looks like a lot of old-school former Gracie Barra guys.

Anyone know about them…? It’s a lot of schools. They did well at a recent tourney but I have never seen them before.

They have been around a few years now, with mainly (exclusively?) former Gracie Barra guys: Pe De Pano is another big name representing, a few others a little less on the radar like Crispim is/was. If you’re looking for a political read on this there isn’t one, most of those guys pretty much drifted away as opposed to a big fall out, and they just wanted to have some fun with each other being on a team again (the way it was pitched to me).

4 Likes

That’s cool.

A lot of really good old-school guys in that group.

1 Like

Eduardo Roque is out of the R1ng accociation. He is a name to watch on the bjj circuit.

1 Like

Speaking of old school Gracie Barra, whatever happened to Roleta? Back when I started I used to love watching videos of him competing.

Even today if you look at the clips, he was doing a lot of the “new” moves back in like 1998.

1 Like

I had heard after a certain point in his career he was over the comp scene and maybe even training, plus I believe he had graduated with his engineering degree and was into his career. Not sure on that part but he IS teaching and training now, still in Brazil and has an Instagram account with updates @roletabjj

I agree, Roleta was an all time favorite, was lucky enough that I got to spend some time with him when he was in the US that he showed me some things I still have never seen anyone else do, and some things that I still don’t even understand.

1 Like

I’m not looking for a team, but what seems cool about that team is it’s not just a room full of super good 25 year olds, but a team with a lot of VERY experienced older players / coaches.

Sometimes guys who own gyms affiliate with a young kid who’s tearing it up in competition when in reality, long term, they’d probably be better off affiliating with a team like this, IMO.

3 Likes

Of of all of the true old school guys that I have met, I’ve found Gordo especially to be the very most pragmatic and insightful people and have always appreciated his wisdom, a real gem of a human and a black belt’s black belt.

3 Likes

Yeah I was aware of when they formed R1ng initially, 3 or 4 years ago, as I trained under Gordo and a bit with Tinguinha, and always followed Soca.

gotta agree…
When I add details to techniques in my game, I try to give shoutouts to whoever I picked it up from. Here I give a shoutout to Gordo for such a cool and effective detail on the step-over arm bar he showed back when shogun and his camp were getting ready to fight chael sonnen.

And shoutout to michelle marques, my yuke who just won black belt masters1 pan ams this past weekend! It was her first time competing at black belt.

1 Like

Tinguinha is my friend and a former coach of mine. Those guys have all been besties forever. It doesn’t surprise me that they formed a team now that UFC gyms aren’t under Tinguinha. They do seminars at each others schools and have guys train at one another’s. I would say they will do real well with each of those guys having a unique style, that is a lot of looks.