Racer X

I got my wife a fairly decent (i thought) new violin last year. Yesterday i opened the case and the damn fingerboard had come loose! I mean it had completely come off. It looks like its probably pine or something with a ebony stain. I have a little experience reparing guitars and have glued on a fretboard or two. My question is, is there a trick to gluing a violin fingerboard back on? Will rubber bands work for a clamp? It was a very clean seperation and has very little glue to scrape..Matter of fact its no wonder it came loose. Is white wood glue the way to go (I have an industrial hot glue/adhesive gun).

Thanks. Steve (Hillbilly)

By the way I never have had my Gibson repaired (cracked headstock) and it hasnt seemed to move or get worse..Gotta love maple necks. ')

Usually a light colored fingerboard that has been stained to look like Ebony will be maple, Eastern Rock Maple or something like it I should think.Depending on the value of the instrument, you need to keep in mind that the fingerboard is usually glued on with a "repairable" glue, specifically a hide glue(think all those horse/glue factory jokes). This is because you may want to replace the fingerboard on a nice sounding violin, and hide glue dries HARD. This is important to maintaining the bright,clear tones of the instrument.Hardware stores carry liquid hide glue, but the preservatives that keep them liquid may affect their performance. I use a hot glue pot that stinks in a nasty way, but when you get the glue right, it's great stuff. I mix it from water and dry glue crystals. The great thing about hide glue is that it sounds good and can be loosened with a bit of heat and moisture for repairs.If it's a good instrument, have it done right. If it's a cheapie, Elmers Professional Carpenters Glue or TiteBond(aliphatic resin):That will keep it in place and is easy to clean up with a damp rag while clamped, but you will not be able to disassemble the joint later.As far as the technique of clamping, you need to keep the finger board aligned and in proper position when clamping. I would probably cheat and use thin brads to keep things aligned and clamp by wrapping the neck with nylon string. Then after unwrapping heat and pull the brads,fill the tiny holes in the fingerboard, and clean it up.

Thanks! I was thinking pot glue, but was trying to do it the easy way. ;) I`m not sure I want to try the brad thing. Actually a friend of mine (fiddle player) is a luthier. I`l probably just give it to him to fix.

You are absolutely right about the fingerboard being stained maple..

yea, Paul Gilbert kicks ass, but he plays guitar, not piana!