Ragin' Al: Get rid of judging and fight until one opponent finishes the other

Yeah I had to look up the dates. I remembered they were both in 1995 but wasn’t sure which was first. WCC was cool too bad they didn’t do another show. Kind of cool and different how they set a tournament up with a strikers side and a grapplers side.

No, we’d refuse to watch!

1 Like

Draws were not a good thing back then. Fams were left undatisfied and some fighters were happy to stall for a draw. Not sure which fight as the best example. Gracie/Shamrock 2 probably. I do remember Erickson/Bustamante being a big factor. 30 minute foght plus overtime ending in a draw. Never forget Erickson taking off his wrestling shoes before overtime so he could kick Bustamante when he wa on the ground refusing to get up. Lol.

You need a time limit for TV but if time expires without a finish then it should be a draw and ineligible for bonus money.

Most wmma fights would go 12 hours and then finally end with a sloppy submission.

One guy eventually quits from exhaustion like Royce vs Saku

Al’s not wrong.

I’d be happy with main events being open fights like this. Set the upper bound to be 1 hr, draw if it goes the full hour. It’d limit the disruption caused by shitty fights, but it’d also let the UFC be EXTREMELY selective about who gets to fight in these battles.

inn

Alternatively, judges shouldn’t be so afraid to score fights that are close as a draw. More draws would incentivize fighters to fight more decisively.

You can’t grab ring ropes in any combat sport either.

UFC will finally get rid of wmma of this happens, they ain’t paying overtime for staff and venue costs

All fights should be 5 rounds and if there is no finish by then, a 6th round with melee weapons to the death.

I’m having second thoughts about where I stand with open fights. I’m afraid of Tecia and Holly using a combination of their admittedly strong cardio with psychological warfare. They could lull the opponent to sleep and frustrate them using something like the Condit defense, in conjunction with their regular air-striking and light sparring. And then 45 minutes in, after the opponent starts to nod off, BANG, head kick.

It sounds sick and callous, I know. I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy, let alone the fans and coaches… family members… sitting in the audience…

shudder

You’d have to book significantly less fights per card. Then lets say you only book 4 fights, as there is a potential for each fight to last an hour, then the first 3 end in 1st round finishes. Now you gotta wait 3 hours for the main event or pull it forward & have the event last potentially hours less than expected.

What about TV fight cards? If a fight goes longer than the allocated time slot, it’d just cut off to eggball or whatever you have on next.

This is why I advocated for main events only to be open fights. The UFC could carefully choose who they put in there. Tecia, Holly and Carlos Condit would be blacklisted from ever main-eventing again.

nothing beats the first few UFCs WCC etc that went until a finish That said its not practical time wise for a tv event

It stopped being cool real quick then the ppv cut off before the finish of Royce/Severn.

Ken Shamrock was the first one to teach me how annoying stalling out a fight for a draw is. 30 minutes of Shamrock not fighting made me happy to see time limits in mma.

I defyanyone to watch the whole Severn/Shamrock Dance in Detroit fight and then tell me you want to see no time limit fights brought back.

Cool to think about but flat out impractial for the UFC. Literally impossible to have more than one fight per card. The UFC would go broke in a year.

No excuses but apparently shamrock did a lot of drugs outside of PEDs and that fight sucked, he could have done way more, but to be fare people like shamrock and Saku were trying to beat the Gracie’s at their own game of outlasting the opponent, after ufc 2 everyone was caught up to what the Gracie’s were doing, would be interesting to see a non Gracie in one of these long matches

Screenname checks out.