Raistilin Majere vs. Elminster

In the battle of the uberpowerful wizards spawned by TSR...which spellslinger stands supreme?

who?

I don't know much about Elminster.

Seeing the name Raistlin did remind me of the nightmare about Caramon becoming a wizard. That was some clever writing, funny stuff.

Heros in Dragonlance were very underpowered compared to the other settings. 

Elminster would smoke Raistlin like cheap crack in a face to face showdown.  Then again Raistlin would fare much better with two weeks prep time.

The last issue of dragon had this in it.

Obviously most would say Elminster, seeing is in comparison Forgotten Realms is jacked up on steroids in comparison to Dragonlance.

But do not forget that Raistlin has his own unusual powers, one of which is prophecy, seems to have a mastery of time, took on a god (a fight he would have won if not for his brother), and is also merged with Fistantandilus.

In game terms however, Rastlin is outmatch, via Elminster being over 40th level, well into the epic levels and has the favor of god.

I would with you that Elminster (what with being a Chosen of Mystra, plus having the Silver fire and all) would appear to be capable of blasting Raistilin into tiny little pieces.

However, in "Soulforge" it's stated that the process that turned Raistlin's skin golden also made it repel just about all magical attacks, although whether or not it would stand up to the silver fire is a matter of debate. Also, while Elminster is the beloved of a powerful goddess, Raistlin took on and overthrew a THE supreme force of evil in his world, which was later overturned via time travel. So I think this one could be closer than people think.

What I belive it would come down to is the non magical skills. Elminster has been a thief and a soldier, he's probably still capable of getting it done in a purely physical scrap, whereas Raistlin is physically weak and ineffectual. I think they'd cancel each other out magically and then Elminster would brain Raistlin with his staff, bringing matters to an abrupt end.

Just curious, who did Dragon magazine say would take it?

Elminster should considering that FR characters are vadtly stronger than DL characters. That being said, Raistlin is wily as hell and with prep time (as said above) he could really stack the deck in his favor- however, Elminster is wily as hell too and has fighting ability and the spellfire.

True...Raistlin is a notch above just about everyone else Elminster has every gone up against in the "being a conniving bastard" category. Also, El doesn't have the urge to finish...which is why Szass Tam, Fzoul, and the various Manshoon clones are still running around causing havoc, in spite of the fact that Elminster has had the oppurtunity to put them down once and for all. If he holds back on the brainier Majere twin due to some hare brained notion of redeeming him or because Raistlin will continue to craft great magics it could be all the opening that the hour glass eyed one needs. And if Raist manages to get Elminster with the bloodstone pendent it's goodbye mulitverse, unless someone manages to send a kender back in time again.

I doubt El could be effected by the bloodstone amulet, and would recognize it's properties on site (in fact he probably knows how to make one).

Like I said, in game terms, this is a lopsided battle favoring El... not even close.

In storybook terms, they are basically on par with each other...both being able to threaten gods and avatars with their power.

Well I remember the Bloodstone Pendant affecting Fistandantilus, who was a god threatening archmage and undead, so I assumed it would work on Elminster. (Did we ever get a backstory on that thing? It has ludicrous abilities, but barely gets a couple of sentences in Legends) And if Ed "My characters are so ridiculously overpowered that they NEVER lose! Never ever! Mwah ha ha!" Greenwood is writing the book, Raistlin might as well stay home.

elminster was made an overpowered faggot by a munchkining faggot (ed greenwood). raistlin is easily the much cooler (and more original) character. i thought there was a level 20 cap for non-gods in the early dragonlance game books, so the two couldn't be compared properly.

Oerth imho

Bigsby, Mordenkainen, Tenser, Vecna!

DoctorLizardo - elminster was made an overpowered faggot by a munchkining faggot (ed greenwood). raistlin is easily the much cooler (and more original) character. i thought there was a level 20 cap for non-gods in the early dragonlance game books, so the two couldn't be compared properly.

This is correct, but due to the old "immortals concept in the BECMI books.  In second, they didn't really delve past that point, and in the new they have epic levels.
This is why in game terms Rast gets smoked, but in book terms it's more even.

Oh and Venca would fucking own both of them.

Does anybody know the name of the mage who nearly beat the Lady of Pain(who is considered the most powerful being in all of D&D)?

Not sure if it was a fanfic, but remember reading something about it years ago.

^^^

Yes...it was Vecna, and is considered only the most powerful being in the planescape setting...even though that's probably close to it.