"Rampage" Opens Up in Personal Interview

Hey guys, as promised, the longer exclusive feature with Quinton "Rampage" Jackson. Check it out and let me know what you think. I was, as usual, impressed by his openness. Thanks!

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson on past disappointments, the future and love of the fight

"THe first two obvious, and overarching questions to ask him were, Why, and How. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson was set to make the announcement in two hours that he had once more signed with the UFC, and planned to make a return to Octagon action in the first half of 2015.

He sat down to talk in advance of the announcement, and the Why and the How were too intriguing of questions, if also predictable, to not get straight to them with the long-time star MMA fighter. Hadn't "Rampage" left the UFC on his own accord, less than two years ago, furious at the top promotion and alleging mistreatment and even fraud on their part?

Yes, of course, he had. So then, why was he returning to the site of so much bloodletting? "To be straight, man, I've fought for all the biggest organizations in the world, and I thought the grass was greener over there," Jackson begins.

READ MORE

"I don't agree with everything the UFC does but they are the best promotion that I've been with and I've been most successful with them. So, I just decided I might as well go back and finish my career with them."

Longtime fans of the sport will remember that this is far from the first time that Jackson has left one promotion for another, claiming that his previous organization didn't do right by him. In fact, I've been able to speak with him at length at every one of those junctures in his career.

When Jackson looked to leave the Pride promotion, he spoke openly to me about his dissatisfaction and hoped out loud that the UFC would come rescue him, so to speak. When the UFC did sign him, he told me how happy he was to be there.

From the start, however, Jackson had problems with the way he was promoted by the UFC. The fighter was actually partially displeased when he was granted a title shot against then champion and uber popular Chuck Liddell in just his second UFC fight, because he thought it was unfair to put him in a position to beat a fan favorite without first giving him more exposure to UFC fans and allowing them a chance to like him, as well.

Fast forward to 2013, Jackson wanted out of the UFC, badly, and then raved about new boss Bjorn Rebney, his Bellator promotion and their parent company Viacom, when they signed him and promised him pay per view fights, movie roles and reality TV work.

After most of that didn't materialize for Jackson at Bellator, he's back in the UFC. This time, however, the 36 year-old seems to have a more realistic view of his situation and what his new/old employer will provide him with.

Jackson isn't pretending that he sees eye-to-eye with the UFC on every matter, now, and even admits that at some point he may yet again feel frustrated with the promotion. However, he made a tactical and measured choice to simply go where he's made the most money in his career, and has had the most success, so far.

"I was mad about some things when I left the UFC and so I figured the UFC had to be the worst organization out there," he explains.

"I still don't see eye-to-eye with the UFC on everything, and who knows what they do with stuff I don't see. But no one pays as much as they do. Everybody wants a raise at their job. If you're at a law firm, you want to become partner one day. As human beings, we always want more. I'm sure a lot of things are going to happen and I'm not going to be one hundred percent happy with the UFC. No job is perfect, in this world. But I'm also sure that it will be better than the last situation I was in."

READ MORE

Good stuuf. Thank you very much.

Nice interview man, vtfu Phone Post 3.0

Thank you JROTT, BJTT, and JM so much. I have always enjoyed talking with Jackson. When you get in there with some questions, he can give some very insightful and thoughtful answers

Big day on fighter pay today...just published a story on Aldo's latest on UFC fighter pay as well.

Thanks for reading and commenting, StrikingMMA. Yeah, his outlook seems much more reasonable than I've ever observed from the man during a switch like this. I guess he's never gone back to a promoter before, and he made this last decision in a more compromising, measured way as opposed to thinking his new boss is the most wonderful thing ever and will save his life. I think he knows what it is, now, and just went where they pay the most money. 

mada -
Elias Cepeda - 

Big day on fighter pay today...just published a story on Aldo's latest on UFC fighter pay as well.

Not being a dick, but I just read both articles and you didn't even mention what Aldo does get paid in your article about Aldo complaining about pay. Just seems like you missed the most important part of the story. I'm 99% sure if I read an article about Eli Manning complaining about pay that it would list his pay and many other quarterbacks pay as well. Sorry if that comes off as rude, that's not my intent.
We don't know what he or any other fighter gets paid, really. Its unfortunate but youre right that it would make it a better story. Thanks for reading Phone Post 3.0

Elias Cepeda - 
mada -
Elias Cepeda - 

Not being a dick, but I just read both articles and you didn't even mention what Aldo does get paid in your article about Aldo complaining about pay. Just seems like you missed the most important part of the story. I'm 99% sure if I read an article about Eli Manning complaining about pay that it would list his pay and many other quarterbacks pay as well. Sorry if that comes off as rude, that's not my intent.
We don't know what he or any other fighter gets paid, really. Its unfortunate but youre right that it would make it a better story. Thanks for reading Phone Post 3.0

Did you ask Aldo how much he makes, since he's complaining about his pay, and he told you none of your business? Or were you too uncomfortable to ask him? Thanks.

Cindy

'twas the night before Christmas, and high from the weed.
I browsed the UG for something interesting to read.
And low and behold there was brilliance in the air
For within the UG a writer was there.
Pimping his piece, I clicked with such speed
And liked your piece Elias, indeed, indeed.

This part made me laugh. Almost seemed like Rampage is making fun of his previous statements and bitchings:

Jackson won't go into details of his new UFC contract, but he says that he is satisfied with it. "I can say that I'm happy with my contract. I'm really happy with my contract," he allows.

"I'm happy with it, right now (laughs)."

Thanks Phone Post 3.0

CindyO -
Elias Cepeda - 
mada -
Elias Cepeda - 

Did you ask Aldo how much he makes, since he's complaining about his pay, and he told you none of your business? Or were you too uncomfortable to ask him? Thanks.

Cindy

Cindy, read the article and you'll see that I didn't interview Aldo, rather the quotes were from last weeks fan q & a.

Not sure why you feel the need to passive aggressively insult me professionally by saying Id be unwilling to ask a basic question like that, which Ive asked of many fighters, but Merry Christmas to you, your kids and your husband. Phone Post 3.0

canofsticks - 'twas the night before Christmas, and high from the weed.
I browsed the UG for something interesting to read.
And low and behold there was brilliance in the air
For within the UG a writer was there.
Pimping his piece, I clicked with such speed
And liked your piece Elias, indeed, indeed.
HA! Ten vote ups for ya for your creativity and positivity if I had em! Phone Post 3.0

mada - Thanks for the reply, and I assume you mean total pay and not just disclosed fight purse. Guess I wasn't thinking about it from your perspective as you would only want to use facts and not speculation.
Yeah. You bring up a good point, though. I could have listed some purses of his and then explained how that isnt the total amount they are paid, for reasons x, y and z. Its not a bad idea at all. Ive done similar things in the past and probably should, again. Thanks for posting and reading, bro Phone Post 3.0

DWray - This part made me laugh. Almost seemed like Rampage is making fun of his previous statements and bitchings:

Jackson won't go into details of his new UFC contract, but he says that he is satisfied with it. "I can say that I'm happy with my contract. I'm really happy with my contract," he allows.

"I'm happy with it, right now (laughs)."
Made me laugh as well ha. He himself laughed when he said it. He was answering my question which was basically, youve been happy before but then have had things change. How long will this last? I found him very open and humble with his answers. That's the Quinton I dig. Not the reporter humping, bullying one Ive seen on tv haha Phone Post 3.0

BirdWatcher - Good read Mr. Cepeda, thanks for posting. Phone Post 3.0
Thank you, glad you read it! I appreciate the post! Phone Post 3.0

Great article Elias. I'm a true Rampage supporter and appreciate that he isn't the average cookie cutter fighter. This is a dude that, before fighting was even popular, gave out his phone number for fans. I see a lot of people on here who say they are Rampage fans and then procede to shit on him. I doubt that they were ever true fans because Rampage is Rampage. Imagine how boring much more boring mma would be without guys like him and the Diaz brothers. Phone Post 3.0

Why the hell would Zuffa sign this guy? King Mo being signed by the UFC would have made more sense then this.

quickfix - Great article Elias. I'm a true Rampage supporter and appreciate that he isn't the average cookie cutter fighter. This is a dude that, before fighting was even popular, gave out his phone number for fans. I see a lot of people on here who say they are Rampage fans and then procede to shit on him. I doubt that they were ever true fans because Rampage is Rampage. Imagine how boring much more boring mma would be without guys like him and the Diaz brothers. Phone Post 3.0
Glad you enjoyed it, thanks for reading. Ive criticized him before, but never for fighting or for trying to get paid for it. That dedicated fan cell phone of his back in the day was legendary haha! Ive still never heard of another fighter ever doing that! Can't say the guy doesnt fight hard, isnt a legend, or doesnt love his fans Phone Post 3.0