Ran 3 miles...in a row

Did a 3 mile run for the first time in my life yesterday.

I never ran for exercise (or sports) and prior to January 2019 the last time I ran a mile was 30 years ago in high school gym class.

I started running on a treadmill at the gym with the goal of being able to run a mile. Did that and added running to my regular gym routine.

With the kung-flu lockdown my exercise options were limited, so I decided to do a daily run in my neighborhood. Started with 1.5 mile loop, then 2, and yesterday I did 3 miles.

The 2 mile loop seems like a reasonable distance for me to do on a daily basis, but I’ll add the 3 mile (and maybe 4 eventually) once a week or so.

I mainly do this so I can run with 2 of my kids who need to stay in shape. I accompany them on their workouts to keep them motivated and then I do my run.

No visions of entering any kind of organized races, and I certainly don’t “enjoy” running, but I understand why people do it. Low-cost activity that anyone can do, and you can work at your own pace and improve as you desire (or not).

My recommendation to any OG’er who’s sitting on the couch wishing there was a way to “get in shape” without spending money on a trainer or gym, is to start with something simple like a couch to 5k program and do it:

One of my kids is doing this so I go along as motivation. Good gradual program.

4 Likes

good for you !

I stick to my eliptical so I can read while I’m on it!

cruedi - good for you !

I stick to my eliptical so I can read while I’m on it!

Yeah, in the winter I’ll be back on the treadmill. I am in no way dedicated to run outside if the weather isn’t nice (New Jersey)…

Great!  Now you should get a 5k sticker for the back of your car.

![](upload://shTPSzVUhE622NNoBCaqe0nceQh.png)

Mark

1 Like

Can you still smoke on this program?

Awesome brotha!

Mark1 - 

Mark

LOL!!!

The “13.1” stickers are the new cool ones in the suburbs.

I’d look like a noob with just 5K

John Wick - 

I don’t see anything that specifically says you can’t smoke, so I say go for it…

1 Like
Mark1 -

Mark

loL. THE 26.2 stickes are annoying enough. i don't think ive ever seen a 5k sticker

I remember when I ran my first 5k from my house. It’s a pretty big milestone IMO. 

Keep it up man! 

billyball2 -
Mark1 - 

Mark

LOL!!!

hey, if you can jog a 5k, you can most certainly walk/shuffle a 13.1 along with all the other suburban posers!

Awesome OP. Don’t overdo it, or it can weaken your immune system.

Tmaguru - 

good job dude, about to get back to running myself

we are doing a board fitness challenge if you would like to participate

https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/ns/forums/OtherGround/28-day-fitness-challenge-anyone:2826412-1/#last-post

Thanks. I’ll take a look…

1 Like
Captain 'Murica - Awesome OP. Don't overdo it, or it can weaken your immune system.

Fair point.

I’m not young, so I do have to remind myself on occasion that I can’t just go balls-out day after day.

I don’t have visions of extending my runs beyond the 2 - 4 mile loops I’ve mapped out in my neighborhood, and I’m not looking to get my time down to competitive levels, so I’ll keep moderation in mind.

John Wick - 

Only while drinking

1 Like
billyball2 - 
Mark1 - 

Mark

LOL!!!

I would do it just for the trolling.

Mark

My former wife has a 0.0 sticker and that is appropriate for her.

billyball2 - Did a 3 mile run for the first time in my life yesterday.

I never ran for exercise (or sports) and prior to January 2019 the last time I ran a mile was 30 years ago in high school gym class.

I started running on a treadmill at the gym with the goal of being able to run a mile. Did that and added running to my regular gym routine.

With the kung-flu lockdown my exercise options were limited, so I decided to do a daily run in my neighborhood. Started with 1.5 mile loop, then 2, and yesterday I did 3 miles.

The 2 mile loop seems like a reasonable distance for me to do on a daily basis, but I’ll add the 3 mile (and maybe 4 eventually) once a week or so.

I mainly do this so I can run with 2 of my kids who need to stay in shape. I accompany them on their workouts to keep them motivated and then I do my run.

No visions of entering any kind of organized races, and I certainly don’t “enjoy” running, but I understand why people do it. Low-cost activity that anyone can do, and you can work at your own pace and improve as you desire (or not).

My recommendation to any OG’er who’s sitting on the couch wishing there was a way to “get in shape” without spending money on a trainer or gym, is to start with something simple like a couch to 5k program and do it:

Be careful…it can get addicting:))

That is about how I started running decades ago. It turned me into a 50 mile a week trail runner for a very long time.

Can’t run so much any longer. But when I was actively running that much, I would jones hard if I had to miss a day.

Now I mostly just hike. My joints are about done with the running. Just run once in a while for fun now days.

Amazed at how much I miss going for a 20 mile run in the mountains on a Sunday morning. Genuinely loved it.

Can’t hike that far now without paying dearly for it, let alone run it.

ScreenName22 - 

Did you stop in at any vacant construction sites during your run?

I was running, not jogging!!!

…and yes I did.

Dryfly - 
billyball2 - Did a 3 mile run for the first time in my life yesterday.

Be careful…it can get addicting:))

That is about how I started running decades ago. It turned me into a 50 mile a week trail runner for a very long time.

Can’t run so much any longer. But when I was actively running that much, I would jones hard if I had to miss a day.

Now I mostly just hike. My joints are about done with the running. Just run once in a while for fun now days.

Amazed at how much I miss going for a 20 mile run in the mountains on a Sunday morning. Genuinely loved it.

Can’t hike that far now without paying dearly for it, let alone run it.

Wow.

I don’t think I’ll ever do that much. I’m in a VERY flat town, so it’s “easy” running. I couldn’t imagine hills, nevermind trail running.

Honestly, by next year the kids will be done with their training, so I’ll have zero incentive to increase my running in any way. If I can get a 2 - 3 mile run every 4 - 5 days I’ll be happy.

There are a bunch of good places around here for hiking though, so I definitely envision going that route if my joints give out.