Rand Paul may reel me back in....

Sen. Rand Paul has sponsored a bill that would curb the National Security Agency's ability to search phone records. Not a single other U.S. senator has signed on, and that's good news for Rand Paul.

While the Washington establishment is fleeing a direct confrontation with the Obama administration over a slew of secret surveillance programs that raise questions about privacy, the Senate's resident Tea Party libertarian aggravator is reveling in the relative solitude.

Now that both political parties have a hand in supporting national security policies that appear more aimed at catching terrorists than protecting privacy, the NSA scandal is the perfect playing ground for a senator with presidential ambitions who is building a brand as an equal opportunity agitator.

"The revelation that the NSA has secretly seized the call records of millions of Americans, without probable cause, represents an outrageous abuse of power and a violation of the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution. I have long argued that Congress must do more to restrict the Executive's expansive law enforcement powers to seize private records of law-abiding Americans that are held by a third-party," Paul, a Republican, said when introducing his bill, the "Fourth Amendment Restoration Act of 2013."

The strategy keeps intact Paul's reputation as a "disruptive" politician, as conservative pundit Erik Erickson has coined it.

Edward Snowden Makes Stand in Hong Kong Watch Video
"With the exception of Sen. Rand Paul, the GOP has left the playing field on this vital issue," wrote one contributor to the conservative online community Red State. "They are afraid of being called hypocrites over '!GEORGE W. BUSH'S USA PATRIOT ACT!' And for evil men to triumph, the good men have to only do nothing."

Few in Washington are running to the defense of NSA leaker Edward Snowden, even if they harbor concerns that the government may have overreached.

Democrats are hesitant to criticize policies advocated by a president of their own party. And even the ones who have raised questions about the scope of the policy aren't clamoring in outrage.

Remember Al Franken, now Democratic senator from Minnesota, and author of the liberal manifesto "Lies and the Lying Liars who Tell Them"?

As recently as 2012, Franken raised concerns that it was "too easy" for companies to hand over their customers' personal information . Now, he says he is comfortable with the program.

"This isn't about spying on the American people," Franken told Minnesota station WCCO. "I have a high level of confidence that this is used to protect us. And I know it has been successful in preventing terrorism."

Many Republicans view it as a vindication of Bush-era policies that Obama, who once questioned them as a senator, has continued as president.

"I think it's interesting that you see it's a lot of establishment politicians on both sides of the aisle who are defending these kinds of programs," said Keli Carender, National Grassroots Coordinator for the Tea Party Patriots. "It's such a shock to think that they are collecting information and communication on every single person who is innocent. There's no Fourth Amendment being observed."

House Speaker John Boehner called Snowden a traitor, and in a rare moment of agreement with President Obama vocally supported the program in an interview with ABC News Monday.

there goes nutty Paul again caring about personal liberties!!!
What a nut.

Whats next, not wanting the US to be the worlds police???

Kudlow posted a funny video last night of Biden in 2006 spouting about how he didn't trust Bush and Cheney with having such powers in this system...LOL

Think this is the URL, it's blocked at work:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/LMfhC4CwUnM?rel=0

"Back in 2006 (see embed below), Biden took a dim view of government data mining with Bush in the White House: “I don’t have to listen to phone calls to know what you’re doing. If I know every single phone call you made, I’m able to determine every single person you talked to. I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here is what do they do with this information that they collect that does not have anything to do with Al Qaeda … And we’re going to trust the president and vice president of the United States that they’re doing the right thing, don’t count me in on that.”

http://www.inquisitr.com/699617/vintage-joe-biden-on-nsa-i-dont-trust-a-spying-president-video/

you must have a soft spot for native americans ^ ;)

We are fucked as a country, there are too many stupid people that will continue to elect all of these corrupt politicians therefore there will be ZERO CHANGE. 

Rand Paul is an opportunist - just like most (fuck it, probably all) politicians.

LOL at this badly veiled attempt to get back into people's good graces.

juszczec - Rand Paul is an opportunist - just like most (fuck it, probably all) politicians.

If he's trying to gain power or titles through upholding the principles of the Constitution, that's fine by me. 

It's a thousand times better than taking away my civil liberties under the badly veiled reason of keeping me safe.

" If he's trying to gain power or titles through upholding the principles of the Constitution, that's fine by me. "

exactly, well said

Soup and Beer - 
juszczec - Rand Paul is an opportunist - just like most (fuck it, probably all) politicians.

If he's trying to gain power or titles through upholding the principles of the Constitution, that's fine by me. 

It's a thousand times better than taking away my civil liberties under the badly veiled reason of keeping me safe.

i don't think Rand Paul gives 2 shits about the Constitution.

i think he cares about getting re-elected.

i think his statements have been crafted to appeal to the folks who are fed up with the current political parties.

personally, i don't believe him any more than any of the other liars and thieves in govt.

i think he's trying to piggyback his political career off of this father's - and i think his father was better at lying to people than Rand is.

This is great and all, until something happens and he completely flip flops and lies about his previous stance. Phone Post 3.0

https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019B6/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbhkbxr0Zl1qdb4cxo1_r1_500.gif

Well, you've got a choice to follow someone who has a track record of trying to stick up for your Constitutional rights and hope he doesn't flip flop and stop doing it.  Or you can follow people like Obama, Romney, and the rest who already have a track record of taking away your rights. 

The NDAA was signed during the election campaign and Romney said he would have signed it to.  He came right out and said up front he would take away your civil liberties as a selling point for his campaign.

Would like to see Rand Paul/Judge Napolitano 2016 ticket.

ksac - "i think he cares about getting re-elected."

exactly, well said

How is this different from any other politician? Can you not take off your blue jersey for one bill? This is needed. Phone Post

Soup and Beer - 

Well, you've got a choice to follow someone who has a track record of trying to stick up for your Constitutional rights and hope he doesn't flip flop and stop doing it.  Or you can follow people like Obama, Romney, and the rest who already have a track record of taking away your rights. 

The NDAA was signed during the election campaign and Romney said he would have signed it to.  He came right out and said up front he would take away your civil liberties as a selling point for his campaign.

"who has a track record of trying to stick up for your Constitutional rights and hope he doesn't flip flop and stop doing it"

and i think he will as soon as it becomes expedient to his career

i think the current admin is going along with it because its probably turning intelligence that couldn't be turned up otherwise.

i think romney was enought of a pragmatist to see that and support it for that reason as well.

but, in this case, i DON'T think the end justifies the means. we certainly ain't gonna be able to stop it, but we gotta put some kind of oversight in.

but Rand Paul's statements are just hot air

ksac - I'll take Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren long before jumping on Rand Paul's boat.

Yea Buffalo Pemican Pizza for everyone !

Big Chief Warren fight white man banker! !

juszczec - 
Soup and Beer - 

"who has a track record of trying to stick up for your Constitutional rights and hope he doesn't flip flop and stop doing it"

and i think he will as soon as it becomes expedient to his career

i think the current admin is going along with it because its probably turning intelligence that couldn't be turned up otherwise.

i think romney was enought of a pragmatist to see that and support it for that reason as well.

but, in this case, i DON'T think the end justifies the means. we certainly ain't gonna be able to stop it, but we gotta put some kind of oversight in.

but Rand Paul's statements are just hot air

Well, as I said in another thread I would love to see Rand or his dad in the presidency for just this very reason.  If one of them got into the White House and it was still business as usual, I could finally stop worrying about it.  Because that would tell me any change from the status quo is basically impossible.  I could finally leave the subject of politics behind and not even bother leaving the house on election day.

The guy who says that politicians are the problem. The guy who says that term limits need to be in place for all political offices. The guy who says that he would apply those term limits to himself and happily go back home when his term is over. That's the guy you think only cares about getting re-elected?

Honestly, the fact that he repeats this so often is the main reason I would vote for him. I believe that the career politician is by far the biggest problem we have in this country, and I haven't heard any other politician say this. If you know of anyone else let me know and I'll vote for him too.

juszczec -
Soup and Beer - 

i don't think Rand Paul gives 2 shits about the Constitution.

i think he cares about getting re-elected.

i think his statements have been crafted to appeal to the folks who are fed up with the current political parties.

personally, i don't believe him any more than any of the other liars and thieves in govt.

i think he's trying to piggyback his political career off of this father's - and i think his father was better at lying to people than Rand is.

I hear what he says and some of it bothers me but his actions in the Senate have far exceeded any expectations that I had as a libertarian. He is a step at least in the right direction. Most in the senate and for sure this administration are dragging us down into some type of fascist hell. Phone Post

The reason why I made the comment about getting reel'd back in as that I think Rand at times can become another typical puppet for the bigger political machine...and then at other times he seems to be principled. These guys almost all can not walk the straight and narrow, his dad did as a politician but who else? Kuicinich was pretty principled but sold out for Obamacare...I still liked him overall though. I'll take a guy who can be principled 90% of the time and compromise every once in a while over scumbags like Boner, McConnel, Redi and Pelosi.

And who ever mentioned the Judge on a ticket with Rand...I would prefer the Judge running the DOJ instead during a Rand administration...VP is a pretty useless position.