Randy Couture Over Rated

In any case Randy is not overrated on the UG. 90% predicted he would lose to Sylvia.

Randy IS overrated in comparison to the greats like Fedor or Hughes.

As for mmamikes list of his accomplishments

Were Randys wins at the time great? Definatly. Do they still look great now that we know how some of his opponents have done in the current level of competition? Hardly

Kevin Randleman is still the same clueless wrestler he was "in his prime". Vitor Belfort stopped being impressive the minute he had to fight legit competition instead of fat guys like Scott Ferrozzo or John Hess. His career basically consists of 1 win over Silva

also lol @ the excuses for the losses. Hughes and Henderson competed in RINGS aswell. They didnt get tooled by scrubs just because the rules were not in their favour.

So Ricco used an illegal tactic to win? Im pretty sure headbutts are illegal aswell and they played a factor in Randys second win over Vitor

Randys greatest wins are over Tito, Rizzo, Chuck

wich is pretty damn good. But hardly in comparison to a guy like Fedor who is undefeated and dominated his division completely. Same with Hughes until his loss to GSP

Randy is the man. What he did to Tim Sylvia was amazing.

That said, he will never get another significant win at HW IMHO.

"On "15-8" -- this number don't mean shit."

100% correct

if all you judge a fighter on is his record, well then Travis Fulton is on top of the world

"In any case Randy is not overrated on the UG. 90% predicted he would lose to Sylvia"

Exactly. I also remember plenty of people not giving him a chance against Chuck, Tito or Vitor, either. If anything, Randy has been the very antithesis of "overrated" by the UG.

And MMAMike's post settled all other discussions on the topic.

I'm not sure where your Randy hate comes from Diego, but I will point a flaw in your argument.

Your problem is that you are confusing DOMINANCE for GREATNESS.

Was Randy the most dominant champion ever? No.

If he was, then he wouldn't have lost (and regained) the title so many times.

Fedor, Matt Hughes, Big Nog, Pulver, Miletich, Gomi, F. Shammy, W. Silva, Liddel and Ortiz are all examples of fighters who were far more dominant Champions, who managed to retain their belts anywhere between 2 and 4 years.

However, while dominance can make you a great fighter, it is NOT THE ONLY PATH TO GREATNESS.

Randy has more tremendous upset wins than all those fighters combined. Never in the history of MMA have you had a fighter who has consistently been a huge underdog who managed time after time to score highly improbable -- and dominating -- victories. And he managed to to this during what should have been retirement age for most fighters. And he often did it against much larger opponents. And he has earned the most UFC titles of any UFC fighter, EVER -- and the most titles from a major organization EVER.

For this reason, Randy is great. And no matter how much you reduce his wins, write off his opponents, dismiss his accomplishments or play up his losses and record, THIS FACT WILL NOT CHANGE.

If Randy fights Crocop or Fedor, should he be favored to win? No. Does this mean he won't win though? No. Is it nut huggery to assert this chance for victory? Is it us overrating him? Absolutely NOT. Randy has proven time and again that he can pull off the upset win, so to assume that this is possible is simply -- given the evidence of his past accomplishments -- logical.

Do me a favor and ask Tim Sylvia how overrated Couture is and tell us what he says ok. Could Couture beat Fedor? No. But if we are going by who can beat Fedor than big Nog and Cro Cop are overrated then

personaly I don't care how he's rated;
I respect the hell out of him!
he's a great representative for the sport.
he's always respectful of his opponent
He fights for the true competition.

"That man is my Hero"

I hope he does face Fedor.
It'd be great to see these two respectful warriors battle, regardless of the outcome

O ya and of his 8 losses two are to much bigger guys like Barnett and Ricco and one was in and org with rules against full GnP. My question is where the fuck is Ricco, Inoue, and V Overeem? All those guys are much younger than randy and and have peaked out in this game. If you think Randy is overrated you dont know shit about mma. You have to look beyond the numbers

Randy has been the underdog is soooo many of his fights. Kind of hard for me to call him Over Rated.

I would disagree with that statement.

hey lets all crap on randy!

-the ug

"His next biggest win is vs Tim Sylvia. Sylvia is good but his only huge win was over ARlovski. All the other wins weren't against any top 5 heavy weights"

LOL! Sylvia beat Ricco who was top 3 at the time!

i cant think of a better fighter over 40

I love Randy but it's not going to happen w/ Fedor. I do feel he would do well w/ Cro-Cop, and even win. I see Cro-Cop being a Good match-up for him :)

ttt

How can someone be overrated when they are always the underdog going into the fight?

If anything, he is one of the most underrated fighters ever.

this sin't specifically about randy, but tim sylvia also beat ricco rodriguez convincingly, who was solid top 10 if not top 5.

Randy Over Rated I dont think so most people think he will lose in upcoming tough fights and thought he would lose past fights that makes him under rated
Im completely convinced Randy can beat almost anyone when he thinks he'll win Besides if he was over rated he deserves to be hes great

randy is the master of timing and gameplan. he beat guys that maybe were a little over hyped but he beat guys that are household names. tito, belfort, randleman, smith, liddell. he beat guys that everyone knows and were at the top, if not the game, there over hypedness. he comes a an under dogg in most fights and continues to reign supreme. do i think he can beat cro cop? yes. do i think he will? (shrugs)... i know that i counted him out a lot before and had to eat crow. so ill go with this, randy deserves everything he gets. hes a true champ and warrior. he is what this sport should strive for.

well put and agreed