Randy & Dana & Ryan & Kizer

[EXCLUSIVE] Ryan Couture Discusses New UFC Contract, His Conversation With Dana White, And Randy’s Continued Involvement in His Career

(Ryan Couture poses for a photo with his father, billionaire fragrance-baron Randy Couture.)

“Dana told me, ‘your dad is not welcome at our events.’ The full implication of that didn’t sink in until after we hung up. It is what it is. If Dana doesn’t want dad there, he doesn’t want him there. I did say that I wanted dad to be involved in my training, and Dana said I could do whatever I needed to with my training. Really, for me, it’s a bummer because he doesn’t even want him there as a spectator. My dad can’t cheer for me from the audience. My dad has been a big part of how I got to where I am. He’s a great corner man, a fantastic coach. He’s able to communicate things clearly and that is really important.”

Saddened, Ryan still decided to take White and the UFC’s offer. “As it stands, the beef is between Dana and dad and it needs to stay that way. It’s not my issue. That has nothing to do with my career,” he said.

READ MORE

Good for Ryan for sticking in there.

Bullshit that he's been put in that kind of situation. Even though Dana doesn't have the power to ban Randy from cornering, Ryan will still get shit for bringing him. Phone Post

Thanks for reading, guys. I really wanted to get a better understanding of the situation and what happened after Dana's media scrum comments last week. 

why doesnt he have the power?  ac can license him, but can they force an event to accept the licensed corner? i dont think so...

Anderson's BBC in my Goku - 

why doesnt he have the power?  ac can license him, but can they force an event to accept the licensed corner? i dont think so...

Why do you feel the organization would or should have a legal say in the people that corner fighters? It is the commission's job to evaluate and determine who is capable and allowed to corner fighters

Randy should be allowed to corner his son, and Ryan should be allowed to have his father corner him.

It will pass over, it's good PR and a story to have Randy in the crowd/corner

why is Zuffa so worried about competition from minor shows like Bellator?

I'd hate to be Ryan now, you know he's gonna face some tough opponents coming up.

i say he takes 2-3 bad beatings and gets cut. a nice little 'fuck you' from dana to randy.

BushidoAristotle - Randy should be allowed to corner his son, and Ryan should be allowed to have his father corner him.

. Phone Post

Elias Cepeda - 

Why do you feel the organization would or should have a legal say in the people that corner fighters? It is the commission's job to evaluate and determine who is capable and allowed to corner fighters

because its their event...the AC is there to ensure that the corner people are capable of cornering the fighter..thats it...its the UFC's event...they can exclude any fighter they dont like, and person from the media they dont like, any fan they don't like...why would they have to accept the corner?

Randy hasnt cornered Ryan in a while anyway. This will always seep into Ryans fights in some capacity te same way just being Randys kid has. I am sure he has learned to deal with it.

Elias Cepeda - 

because its their event...the AC is there to ensure that the corner people are capable of cornering the fighter..thats it...its the UFC's event...they can exclude any fighter they dont like, and person from the media they dont like, any fan they don't like...why would they have to accept the corner?

I believe that they, in fact, do. Not sure I agree with fighters, fans, coaches and media all being the same in this regard, either

Elias Cepeda - 
Elias Cepeda - 

I believe that they, in fact, do. Not sure I agree with fighters, fans, coaches and media all being the same in this regard, either

i scanned the code and all it  basically says is that seconds or trainers cant participate unless they are licensed by the nsac. i dont see anything, and i doubt there is anything, that says once a second is licensed he MUST be permitted to corner the fighter. thats outside the jurisdiction of the AC.

the AC's role is to determine whether licensure is appropriate. thats it. if a second had "bellator" or "fuck yo mamma" tattood across his forehead, woudl the ufc have to accept the corner? no, by the UFC contracts, they would not even if that person is licensed by the AC. its two separate things...

It is an interesting question you bring up, that is by no means settled. I'll look into it more.

Letibleu - 

Randy hasnt cornered Ryan in a while anyway. This will always seep into Ryans fights in some capacity te same way just being Randys kid has. I am sure he has learned to deal with it.

I don't know what you're talking about. Randy was in Ryan's corner for his fight vs K.J. Noons.

this is just one of those deals where if Ryan was a top 5 fighter, he could have his old man corner  him and there's nothing Dana could or would do about it. As it stands with Ryan's positioning within the lw division, he probably is not gonna fuck with the boss. It could be the difference in getting cut after two or three losses in a row, instead of just one loss. 

randy could get in with a disguise

Elias Cepeda - 

Thanks for reading, guys. I really wanted to get a better understanding of the situation and what happened after Dana's media scrum comments last week. 

And what new did you understand that you didn't already know??? Did it occur to you to ask Keith what he would do if DW tried to have Randy thrown out after the AC licensed him to corner? Details, homie!!!

Cindy