Randy says GSP is frustrated @ media over Olympics

I get your point, Bear, but as a political junkie and California resident I can tell you assuredly that Arnie has NOT conquered politics. More accurately, the politics of trying to be governor have kicked his ass ;). GSP has a better shot of medalin in the Olympics than Arnie does of ever being elected anything major in this state again (he's termed out in 2010 but there's other stuff he could go for).

disbeliever - 
nobones -  I hope GSP gets this wrestling bug out of his system.  WTF cares about getting Olympic gold when he can get more UFC gold?

This should be his goal for the next year and a half:

lol @ saying ufc gold is more worthwhile than Olympic gold

Yeah especially for a Georges,a very proud Canadian. I'm sure a gold medal at the Olympics would more important than a UFC belt, though the UFC belt was no easy task to gain.

jaseprobst - I get your point, Bear, but as a political junkie and California resident I can tell you assuredly that Arnie has NOT conquered politics. More accurately, the politics of trying to be governor have kicked his ass ;). GSP has a better shot of medalin in the Olympics than Arnie does of ever being elected anything major in this state again (he's termed out in 2010 but there's other stuff he could go for).

When it comes to politics, there are always as many detractors as supporters. I will say that as an unbiased party in this matter, I'd gladly put money on Arnold being elected to California public office over GSP winning an Olympic medal. Not to insult GSP, but better wrestlers with a lifetime of experience have gotten squashed on the road to that dream.

Well it's his life and just the fact he is such a great athlete gives him at least a chance to realistically entertain the idea...that's pretty cool...

BanjaCop - 
TheBear228 - Arnold Schwarzenegger... Now, one can argue he has even conquered politics.

Uh...what?
Perhaps you aren't sure what the field of politics are?

Arnold wanted to be a bodybuilder = Became an all-time great bodybuilder.

Arnold wanted to act = Became a Hollywood movie star.

Arnold wanted to be a politician = Became a re-elected governor of California with very little political experience.

I think he does quite well for himself. If you want to argue how good of a governor he is, that is for another forum. The bottom line is he achieves things at a high level. Should be easy enough for even the dumbest muds to understand.

Well i'd define the only equivalent office to governor as being a U.S. Senator. Good luck getting elected as a Republican against Boxer or Feinstein.

Arnie got elected governor by getting 48 percent of the vote (the far more conservative Tom McClintock got 13 percent) in a very special set of circumstances. Voters were tired of Gray Davis. In a straight repub/dem contest Arnie would probably lose, even with his popularity, unless he was running against a handpicked opponent in a smaller office (House of Reps, which I doubt he would do).

GSP is more likely to medal at the Olympics (unlikely, I know) than Arnie is to be a senator, which is the only office of the same stature as Governor. Which was my point.

Randy knows what he's talking about. If he says GSP could do it then I believe him.

Not quite Jordan to Baseball but would be an interesting move none the less.

Didn't Kid Yamamoto start going downhill once he started training to become an Olympic Wrestler?

I hope the same doesn't happen to GSP.

jaseprobst - Well i'd define the only equivalent office to governor as being a U.S. Senator. Good luck getting elected as a Republican against Boxer or Feinstein.

Arnie got elected governor by getting 48 percent of the vote (the far more conservative Tom McClintock got 13 percent) in a very special set of circumstances. Voters were tired of Gray Davis. In a straight repub/dem contest Arnie would probably lose, even with his popularity, unless he was running against a handpicked opponent in a smaller office (House of Reps, which I doubt he would do).

GSP is more likely to medal at the Olympics (unlikely, I know) than Arnie is to be a senator, which is the only office of the same stature as Governor. Which was my point.
If you're only going to give me the option of Senator....than I'd bet my money on neither, because neither have a shot in hell of happening. :)

I think a legitmate effort and even moderate success for GSP in an Olympic wrestling run would be great for MMA. One of the sports elite athletes showcasing his skills at an Olympic level would be tremendous. Though, I think he needs the support of the UFC and American/Canadian freestyle wrestling because a half assed effort or very poor results would not be good.

gsp outwrestled the wrestlers in the ufc. takes them down.
he wrestles with olympic wrestlers in canada. he does good against them. maybe we are underestimating him. i think he would know if he is not good enough.
he has been wrestling for years now. something we don't know.
we are going overboard also. i think he is going to train for the trials. whenever they are. if he makes it, he makes it. if he doesn't, he doesn't.
i say go for it. olympic medal is something very special. ufc belt, will alot of champions go through the ufc belt. but not too many go through the olympics and get gold.

TheBear228 - 
BanjaCop - 
TheBear228 - Arnold Schwarzenegger... Now, one can argue he has even conquered politics.

Uh...what?
Perhaps you aren't sure what the field of politics are?

Arnold wanted to be a bodybuilder = Became an all-time great bodybuilder.

Arnold wanted to act = Became a Hollywood movie star.

Arnold wanted to be a politician = Became a re-elected governor of California with very little political experience.

I think he does quite well for himself. If you want to argue how good of a governor he is, that is for another forum. The bottom line is he achieves things at a high level. Should be easy enough for even the dumbest muds to understand.

Many years ago, Arnold also said he wanted to be part of the Kennedy family.

Cool

TheBear228 - 
jaseprobst - Well i'd define the only equivalent office to governor as being a U.S. Senator. Good luck getting elected as a Republican against Boxer or Feinstein.

If you're only going to give me the option of Senator....than I'd bet my money on neither, because neither have a shot in hell of happening. :)

Agreed, sir.

However, I'm open to any other wagering ideas you might have ;).

Here is a detailed article by a Canadian Wrestler/MMA fighter on what it would take to make the olympic team.  Fairly long read, but very good.

http://topmmanews.com/2010/01/11/breaking-down-gsps-olympic-dream/