Ranger Up out as a UFC/Strikeforce sponsor

MTomlinson -  it's their business and the UG can't tell them how to run it.

if you disagree with their practices, go boycott their product or blog about it (lol)

the fact is, the UFC spends millions of dollars in ad revenue again to turn eyes to their product. Pepsi cans in a blockbuster movie pay for that product placement, why shouldnt MMA clothing companies pay for the exposure they gain via the UFC's ppvs?

it'd be nice business practice to offer a discount to long-term partners, but this is capitalism (unless Obama gets re-elected), and if the MMA clothing companies don't think its worth it, they won't pay the fee.

that simple

People will ignore this statement because it makes too much sense and it doesn't fit with their "fuck the man" attitude.

Not sure about today but i know Reebok used to sponsor the NFL. If any players were wearing any clothing, wristbands etc that wasnt Reebok on the field hey would get a nice fine. It didn't matter if the individual player was sponsored by Nike, under armour or champion.

It's not smart business to let companies use your venue to promote themselves for free when you have companies that are willing to pay.

The UFC will not let this happen. They will either clear Ranger Up at the last minute because Dana/The Brothers paid it for them out of their own pocket and get extra pats on the back for being so noble, or they will completely bend Kennedy over and make him wear a bunch of JCPenneys UFC gear. There is no way they will let someone stage a protest like Tim Kennedy wants.

Jmunzies - 

if you disagree with their practices, go boycott their product or blog about it (lol)

the fact is, the UFC spends millions of dollars in ad revenue again to turn eyes to their product. Pepsi cans in a blockbuster movie pay for that product placement, why shouldnt MMA clothing companies pay for the exposure they gain via the UFC's ppvs?

it'd be nice business practice to offer a discount to long-term partners, but this is capitalism (unless Obama gets re-elected), and if the MMA clothing companies don't think its worth it, they won't pay the fee.

that simple

People will ignore this statement because it makes too much sense and it doesn't fit with their "fuck the man" attitude.

Not sure about today but i know Reebok used to sponsor the NFL. If any players were wearing any clothing, wristbands etc that wasnt Reebok on the field hey would get a nice fine. It didn't matter if the individual player was sponsored by Nike, under armour or champion.

It's not smart business to let companies use your venue to promote themselves for free when you have companies that are willing to pay.

Right, but the NFL is not regulated by the state,
like MMA is.

It should be ILLEGAL for a promoter to tell an independent contractor what he can / cannot wear into the ring / cage.

The NFL is setup completely differently than MMA.
In the NFL you're an employee, in the UFC you're a sub contractor.

FenceGrab - 
Jmunzies - 

that simple

like MMA is.

It should be ILLEGAL for a promoter to tell an independent contractor what he can / cannot wear into the ring / cage.

Although Zuffa claims their fighters are contractors, its debatable if you go by governments standards for employees/contractors. But that's a whole other can of worms I'm not going to get into.

The point is if Ranger Up wants to use Fighters to promote their brand in a magazine, they have to pay the magazine. If they want a commercial they have to pay the network. Same goes for billboards and billboard companies. Why should they get to promote themselves on a Zuffa PPV without paying Zuffa?

So how does affect sponsorship money to fighters again? Seems if companies have to pay a large fee to Zuffa, the fighters are going to get less at the end of the day, right? I like fighters getting more money, esp the up and comers, so I am wondering if anyone has insight on this.

FenceGrab - 
Jmunzies - 

that simple

like MMA is.

being regulated by the state or not being regulated by the state does not negate the fact that the UFC is a privately owned business that can operate under whichever parameters they choose to operate under providing it's not illegal.

and saying to clothing company, look, you've got to pay me for product placement on my PPV, is not illegal.

if you don't understand these simple basic concepts there's no hope convincing you anyway

How much is this "sponsor fee" exactly? If it's priced anything like their ppv's or merchandise it's way too high.

MTomlinson - 
 being regulated by the state or not being regulated by the state does not negate the fact that the UFC is a privately owned business that can operate under whichever parameters they choose to operate under providing it's not illegal.

and saying to clothing company, look, you've got to pay me for product placement on my PPV, is not illegal.

if you don't understand these simple basic concepts there's no hope convincing you anyway

Right, Did I say it was illegal?
If I did, I didn't mean to.

I thought I said it SHOULD be illegal.

Fighters are not employees,
they're independent contractors.

Evilzpet - How much is this "sponsor fee" exactly? If it's priced anything like their ppv's or merchandise it's way too high.

MTomlinson -

and it actually DOES matter a little bit.
The Muhammad Ali Boxing Reform Act protected boxers,
(and didn't happen until 2000)
something similar could happen in MMA.

In fact the 6 reasons congress listed for that act,
could apply to MMA as well.

So government can step in in specific cases.

I don't really understand the need for Zuffa to impose a sponsor fee.  Don't they make millions hand over fist?

This is not new. Sorry about their luck but the licensing fee to sponsor in the UFC was implemented a couple years ago now and many brands were effectively eliminated from participating in the UFC immediately after the change took place. Why should Ranger Up be any different? If you wanna play, you have got to pay.

The Sultan -  I don't really understand the need for Zuffa to impose a sponsor fee.  Don't they make millions hand over fist?

Both the NFL and NBA do pretty well in the 'money hand over fist' department, but they are currently locked out because the 'money hand over fist' business is BIG business, and afterall.......business is business.

ttt

Orange97z28 -  Props to Ranger Up for still compensating the fighters. Stand up move on their part Phone Post

THISSSSS!!! Absolutely outstanding and admirable gesture!

Cindy

Orange97z28 -  Props to Ranger Up for still compensating the fighters. Stand up move on their part Phone Post

Ranger Up gets a lot of hate from dumb fans who don't "get it." These guys are legitimately nice as hell and just want to help their fellow veterans.

BTW, Jorge Rivera has a huge Ranger Up tattoo (the guys at Ranger Up told him not to do it but he did anyway hahaha). Can't cover that up, can ya, Zuffa? :)

TTT for Ranger Up talking care of the fighters. TTT for Dana once again showing us why he is the worlds most dangerous man