wheeels - Gretzky

Lemiuex

Orr

Crosby

Ovi

Messier

Yep

maybe just using stats from 1990 and on? lol

My top 10 would be based off my favorite players to watch and nothing else.

Brodeur

Hasek 

Roy

Lundquist 

Price

Cujo 

Belfour 

Richter

Bobrovsky

Khabibulin

trying to do a list off talent is tough. Going through stats there’s been a shit ton of studs. All of the above mention guys in everyone’s previous posts and you could make cases for even guys like Tuuka Renne Holtby Kolzig Potvin. So much talent.

androb -
RJJH - 

1990 - 2015 list (no goalies)

1)  Crosby

2)  Sakic

3)  Jagr

4)  Yzerman

5)  Ovechkin

6)  Bure

7)  Datsyuk

8)  Toews

9)  Forsberg

10)  Chara

11)  Lidstrom

12)  Kane

13)  St. Louis

14)  Iginla

15)  Malkin

16)  Messier

17)  Bourque

18)  Sundin

19)  Pronger

20)  Lecavalier

RJJ - messier @ #16

what metrics are you using to list the other guys higher

you need to defend your rankings here

strictly because Mess did the bulk of his damage in the 80's. his 90's career, while having two cups, is not enough to warant a higher ranking.

PTA -

goalies for me (since 1980) ...

1. Hasek
  2. Roy
  3. Brodeur - benefitted from being on the devils machine, but was a major part of the machine and changed the position with his puck handling ability
  4. Lundqvist - amazing, but on such terrible teams
  5. Smith - Can't compare stats to today, but he was awesome
  6. Thomas - minimal time in the league for numerous reasons, but an epic player. Won the Bruins a stanley cup and has 2 Vezinas
  7. Price - amazing player
  8. Bobrovsky - Underrated bc of being in Columbus. 2 Vezinas
  9. Belfour - 2 Vezinas and was awesome in 2 distinct eras of the NHL
  10. Fuhr - Nearly impossible to judge his ranking bc the oilers essentially didn't play defense. But watching him play you could see it

Off the list

• Luongo - Great career, but has never been the best goalie in the league in any year. Also fell apart during the finals vs the bruins
  • Vernon - Was really good for a long time, but just outside this group
  • Cujo - Same with Luongo great for a long time but was never the best at his in the league for any year
  • Richter/Beezer - great players, but not the same level
  • Osgood - shouldn't ever be mentioned for this list

Fuhr, Smith & Thomas?

leaving Lou out is almost criminal.

4 gold medals, 3rd all time in wins, second in games played and holds several NHL records.

RJJH - 
PTA -

1. Hasek
  2. Roy
  3. Brodeur - benefitted from being on the devils machine, but was a major part of the machine and changed the position with his puck handling ability
  6. Thomas - minimal time in the league for numerous reasons, but an epic player. Won the Bruins a stanley cup and has 2 Vezinas
  10. Fuhr - Nearly impossible to judge his ranking bc the oilers essentially didn't play defense. But watching him play you could see it

Off the list

• Luongo - Great career, but has never been the best goalie in the league in any year. Also fell apart during the finals vs the bruins
  • Cujo - Same with Luongo great for a long time but was never the best at his in the league for any year

Fuhr, Smith & Thomas?

leaving Lou out is almost criminal.

4 gold medals, 3rd all time in wins, second in games played and holds several NHL records.

Its a list of the best and Lou was never the best. Awesome goalie. I was fighting him him and Fuhr for 10 ... but i stand by it. Every goalie in that top 10 list has at least 1 vezina. Tim Thomas was the best goalie in the world for a number of years. He has the hardware to support it as well. the 2011 SC Finals is the perfect example of this Luongo and Thomas faced off and luongo gave up 8,4,5,4 goals in the games they lost. He was terrible when it mattered most. the best win

Grant Fuhr and Billy Smith are all-time goalies. You can't compare the 80s to modern players - but they were the best of their time

RJJH - 

1990 - 2015 goalies

1)  Hasek

2)  Brodeur

3)  Roy

4)  Fluery

5)  Luongo

6)  Vernon

7)  Lundquist

8)  Kiprusoff

9)  Khabibulin

10)  Osgood

1. hasek

2. price

3. brodeur

4. fleury

5. roy

6. lundqvist

7. kiprusoff

8. belfour

9. vasilevskiy

10.quick

PTA -

1. Hasek
  2. Roy

Off the list

Man I’m not sure about Billy Smith. That one really stands out for me. The 80’s were a tough time for goalies though. It’s just feels like the 70’s and 90’s had a bunch of great goalies. 80’s, not so much.

Might be a reason besides performance for it (like Smith being a total nut), but I don’t see him on the 76, 81, or 84 Canada Cup rosters. Not that he didn’t deserve a spot. But 5th best goalie in the last 40 years? 

I did just watch one of the ‘84 finals games. Man he cracked me up. Used his stick like a battle axe. Glenn Anderson jumps right over his stick at one point. On those old skates, probably would have completely crushed his ankle if he connected.

Also. I’m surprised to see Quick never won a Vezina. Was positive he had a couple.

Back to OP and Bobby Orr. One of the legendary moments he had was tieing for the tournament lead in scoring in the 1976 Canada Cup. He did that while playing on one leg (played 10 games the year before, would play 26 games over the next 3 years before retiring).

From all accounts was the best player on what many people consider the best team ever put together... on one leg.

yusul -
RJJH - 

1990 - 2015 goalies

1)  Hasek

2)  Brodeur

3)  Roy

4)  Fluery

5)  Luongo

6)  Vernon

7)  Lundquist

8)  Kiprusoff

9)  Khabibulin

10)  Osgood

1. hasek

2. price

3. brodeur

4. fleury

5. roy

6. lundqvist

7. kiprusoff

8. belfour

9. vasilevskiy

10.quick

I’m a homer but Quick should have won the Vezina in 12 over Lundqvist. It was a close race, but Lundqvist who had been a finalist for years at that point got the nod. Quick was the only reason they even sniffed a playoff spot. And he carried them to the cup. He was incredible that year. 

MrColdCock - 
PTA -

1. Hasek
  2. Roy

Off the list

Man I’m not sure about Billy Smith. That one really stands out for me. The 80’s were a tough time for goalies though. It’s just feels like the 70’s and 90’s had a bunch of great goalies. 80’s, not so much.

Might be a reason besides performance for it (like Smith being a total nut), but I don’t see him on the 76, 81, or 84 Canada Cup rosters. Not that he didn’t deserve a spot. But 5th best goalie in the last 40 years? 

I did just watch one of the ‘84 finals games. Man he cracked me up. Used his stick like a battle axe. Glenn Anderson jumps right over his stick at one point. On those old skates, probably would have completely crushed his ankle if he connected.

Also. I’m surprised to see Quick never won a Vezina. Was positive he had a couple.

I'll be honest - he's my guilty pleasure as a goalie. He clearly isn't Dryden or cheevers, but the Islanders ushered in a new that completely exposed the goalie defensively. So maybe Dryden wouldn't have been Dryden with those islanders. He was a cornerstone for four cups and was the best goalie in the league for at least one year. 

shit Brodeur gets all the credit but played in a low scoring era with a defensive specialized team. Smith wouldn’t have been Brodeur if roles reversed, but there wouldn’t have been that big of a disparity

As a kid, when we played road hockey and it was my turn in net I used to call myself “Billy Smith… penalty minute leader goalie” and proceed to slash the hell out of anyone who came too close to my crease.

Lazarus - As a kid, when we played road hockey and it was my turn in net I used to call myself "Billy Smith... penalty minute leader goalie" and proceed to slash the hell out of anyone who came too close to my crease.

You spelled Ron Hextall wrong.

VinegarStrokes - 
yusul -
RJJH - 

1990 - 2015 goalies

1)  Hasek

2)  Brodeur

3)  Roy

4)  Fluery

5)  Luongo

6)  Vernon

7)  Lundquist

8)  Kiprusoff

9)  Khabibulin

10)  Osgood

1. hasek

2. price

3. brodeur

4. fleury

5. roy

6. lundqvist

7. kiprusoff

8. belfour

9. vasilevskiy

10.quick

I’m a homer but Quick should have won the Vezina in 12 over Lundqvist. It was a close race, but Lundqvist who had been a finalist for years at that point got the nod. Quick was the only reason they even sniffed a playoff spot. And he carried them to the cup. He was incredible that year. 

they were pretty close in 12, but i’d rather have lundqvist than quick with everything on the line. i’m fine moving quick up to 8, as la had a more stacked team than calgary when they won cups.

yusul -
VinegarStrokes - 
yusul -
RJJH - 

1990 - 2015 goalies

1)  Hasek

2)  Brodeur

3)  Roy

4)  Fluery

5)  Luongo

6)  Vernon

7)  Lundquist

8)  Kiprusoff

9)  Khabibulin

10)  Osgood

1. hasek

2. price

3. brodeur

4. fleury

5. roy

6. lundqvist

7. kiprusoff

8. belfour

9. vasilevskiy

10.quick

they were pretty close in 12, but i’d rather have lundqvist than quick with everything on the line. i’m fine moving quick up to 8, as la had a more stacked team than calgary when they won cups.

LA was 29th in scoring that year and 29th in blocked shots. They really were carried by Quick. Quick faced almost twice as many shots on the PK as Henrik that year and still posted a nearly identical GAA. From 07-15 I would have rather had Henrik as my goalie. But for the 11-12 season Quick was better. 

https://youtu.be/nFUWuNCHu60

Mark1 -

I take Messier first if I am building a team from scratch.

Mark

THAT'S how you won the Bieber sweepstakes....you suck.....lol.

mataleo1 -
Lazarus - As a kid, when we played road hockey and it was my turn in net I used to call myself "Billy Smith... penalty minute leader goalie" and proceed to slash the hell out of anyone who came too close to my crease.

You spelled Ron Hextall wrong.

Billy Smith would castrate Hextall

RhinoHog -
Mark1 -

I take Messier first if I am building a team from scratch.

Mark

THAT'S how you won the Bieber sweepstakes....you suck.....lol.

messier over crosby lol. that would be like auston matthews over mcdavid.