goalies for me (since 1980) ...
- Brodeur - benefitted from being on the devils machine, but was a major part of the machine and changed the position with his puck handling ability
- Lundqvist - amazing, but on such terrible teams
- Smith - Can't compare stats to today, but he was awesome
- Thomas - minimal time in the league for numerous reasons, but an epic player. Won the Bruins a stanley cup and has 2 Vezinas
- Price - amazing player
- Bobrovsky - Underrated bc of being in Columbus. 2 Vezinas
- Belfour - 2 Vezinas and was awesome in 2 distinct eras of the NHL
- Fuhr - Nearly impossible to judge his ranking bc the oilers essentially didn't play defense. But watching him play you could see it
Off the list
- Luongo - Great career, but has never been the best goalie in the league in any year. Also fell apart during the finals vs the bruins
- Vernon - Was really good for a long time, but just outside this group
- Cujo - Same with Luongo great for a long time but was never the best at his in the league for any year
- Richter/Beezer - great players, but not the same level
- Osgood - shouldn't ever be mentioned for this list
Man I’m not sure about Billy Smith. That one really stands out for me. The 80’s were a tough time for goalies though. It’s just feels like the 70’s and 90’s had a bunch of great goalies. 80’s, not so much.
Might be a reason besides performance for it (like Smith being a total nut), but I don’t see him on the 76, 81, or 84 Canada Cup rosters. Not that he didn’t deserve a spot. But 5th best goalie in the last 40 years?
I did just watch one of the ‘84 finals games. Man he cracked me up. Used his stick like a battle axe. Glenn Anderson jumps right over his stick at one point. On those old skates, probably would have completely crushed his ankle if he connected.
Also. I’m surprised to see Quick never won a Vezina. Was positive he had a couple.