Rapture Q

So there was this program on the history channel about the Rapture. I decided to watch for a bit; they talked about pre/mid/post tribulation rapture, the history of the a few select prophecies, etc. Then they started talking about what happens if it happens in the next few decades (and they attempted to argue it must happen within 100 yrs of Israel's founding given the fig tree parable). They talked about global chaos, crashed markets, riots, failed crops, etc.

Now, without getting into the tribulations, only looking at the rapture (and assuming pre-trib since that appears to be the popular outlook) we got 2.2 billion Christians on the planet.

Now, based on what they said, 144,000 Jews and the 'elect' of the Church get zapped away, and with some debate, that all Christian children get zapped too. So let's say the 'elect' (correct, proper, true-believer, whatever) is 25% of the total Christian population. We've got 55-60 million people disapearing in the blink of an eye. Ok, that sucks but its out of 7 billion people. The idea that this will cause a global crisis is far fetched.

First of all, assuming it does occur and those numbers are in the neighborhood- states which have less than 10% Christian make up will be UNAFFECTED. So China, Pakistan, Saudia Arabia, etc. will be fine. Sure, England, Russia, Germany, France, Philipines, Canada, Brazil, the US, etc. will spend a few weeks clearing the roads of accidents, reorienting their fire, police, medical staff, etc. but it won't be a major catastrophe. One of the speakers said "Think of Katrina in every major city in the world." Really? Um, how many Christians are vital to Tokyo? Beijing? Bangkok? Sure, for 48 hours everyone will be- "Uh, wtf man? uh... where'd they go? oh wait, is this that whole rapture deal... and now the anti-Christ takes power for 7 years and then Jesus lays the smackdown and ushers in super happy time?" Anyone exposed to basic Christianity will know exactly what to expect (and at this point, 90% of the world has been EXPOSED to Christianity).

So really, total global chaos leading to the Anti-Christ seizing power and wrecking stuff for 7 years from 55-60 million people being zapped? Is this a common belief? And do you guys think those of us 'left behind' would have no idea. I'd be "Oh crapx10^6! Those guys were right. Ok... get the food, get the guns, hide in the mountains and say the Lord's Prayer from now till the stars fall."

MS

Only the select few Rapture believers in America will be raptured.

The Christian apostates throughout the rest of the world will be left to suffer

martial_shadow - So there was this program on the history channel about the Rapture. I decided to watch for a bit; they talked about pre/mid/post tribulation rapture, the history of the a few select prophecies, etc. Then they started talking about what happens if it happens in the next few decades (and they attempted to argue it must happen within 100 yrs of Israel's founding given the fig tree parable). They talked about global chaos, crashed markets, riots, failed crops, etc.

Now, without getting into the tribulations, only looking at the rapture (and assuming pre-trib since that appears to be the popular outlook) we got 2.2 billion Christians on the planet.

Now, based on what they said, 144,000 Jews and the 'elect' of the Church get zapped away, and with some debate, that all Christian children get zapped too. So let's say the 'elect' (correct, proper, true-believer, whatever) is 25% of the total Christian population. We've got 55-60 million people disapearing in the blink of an eye. Ok, that sucks but its out of 7 billion people. The idea that this will cause a global crisis is far fetched.

First of all, assuming it does occur and those numbers are in the neighborhood- states which have less than 10% Christian make up will be UNAFFECTED. So China, Pakistan, Saudia Arabia, etc. will be fine. Sure, England, Russia, Germany, France, Philipines, Canada, Brazil, the US, etc. will spend a few weeks clearing the roads of accidents, reorienting their fire, police, medical staff, etc. but it won't be a major catastrophe. One of the speakers said "Think of Katrina in every major city in the world." Really? Um, how many Christians are vital to Tokyo? Beijing? Bangkok? Sure, for 48 hours everyone will be- "Uh, wtf man? uh... where'd they go? oh wait, is this that whole rapture deal... and now the anti-Christ takes power for 7 years and then Jesus lays the smackdown and ushers in super happy time?" Anyone exposed to basic Christianity will know exactly what to expect (and at this point, 90% of the world has been EXPOSED to Christianity).

So really, total global chaos leading to the Anti-Christ seizing power and wrecking stuff for 7 years from 55-60 million people being zapped? Is this a common belief? And do you guys think those of us 'left behind' would have no idea. I'd be "Oh crapx10^6! Those guys were right. Ok... get the food, get the guns, hide in the mountains and say the Lord's Prayer from now till the stars fall."

MS

hey, at least they got a good imagination...:)

oh, and i guess they forgot these verses...

Mat 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
Mat 24:4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, **Take heed that no man deceive you.******
Mat 24:5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; *****and shall deceive many.****

the many deceived are believers, God doenst have to deceive unbelievers they are ALREADY deceived. guess they forgot that.

Mat 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

^agreed...there is no factual basis for the rapture story.

good to know.

The rapture is the greatest urban legend of all time

Even though I agree with the skepticism of the rapture, I'm surprised that it is the dominant perspective here.

how so?

My bad, I'm surprised it isn't the dominant perspective here.